Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest  (Read 111474 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest
« Reply #330 on: 05 September 2015, 15:11:29 »

As it is now competing with the bus thread. What the average 0-60 mph time for a bus and also the world record?

US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: 05 September 2015, 16:17:35 »

Curiosity is one thing, but your car has matched the book time, albeit under different conditions yet you're still not satisfied... ???

Not sure what you're hoping to achieve :-\ you cannot replicate the weather (temp/wind speed/direction/humidity) Road surface (structure/grip coefficient/moisture content) tyres (model/tread depth/temperature/pressure) mood of the driver conducting the test etc, etc

I would take the book time and be greatful...

The reason for further investigation  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: 05 September 2015, 16:20:58 »

So 9.5 seconds isn't nearly accurate enough then ::)

Well, it's odd how it's come about. . .

I was happy that it was all good and then the spanner was thrown in to the works when Vauxhall confirmed their testing conditions were different to mine. So naturally, I have to investigate this.

I'll however be doing it on an analytical basis though as I really don't want to do the torque braking again. Yeah, I'm sure it,ll be ok but I can't be bothered to take the risk as I don't have the time to fit a gearbox at the moment  :y

If your not doing the stall start then replicating the rest is pointless,Vauxhall would have thrashed the car to its limits ::)

I did do the stall start as per my last video and, as you suggested prior to me doing it, it works!!!  :y

The thing I want to know (albeit looking ball park figures) is that the extra 200kg that Vauxhall chuck on in addition to standard car AND full tank is that my motor wil do there or thereabouts. cos I know that when I get a passenger in it feels slower. so just wanting to check that  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #333 on: 05 September 2015, 16:27:07 »

But if the humidity or air temperature are different, then the results will be different... there are too many variables to be able to replicate it exactly... and as you don't know what any of these variable values were at the time of the original test, you can only guess... which surely instantly renders your result to a ball park  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: 05 September 2015, 17:06:11 »

As it is now competing with the bus thread. What the average 0-60 mph time for a bus and also the world record?

Probably about the same as a certain lurid green 1.4 litre Astra. :)

I'll take a guess........56 seconds.

05omegav6

« Reply #335 on: 05 September 2015, 17:52:17 »

Yes, but is that 56 seconds fully loaded or empty? What tyre pressures Was it damp? Was the bus black or a different colour, as we know how much of a difference that can make too... Would and empty reb bus be quicker than a full black one? Was the test driver ginger?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: 05 September 2015, 19:49:12 »

Yes, but is that 56 seconds fully loaded or empty? What tyre pressures Was it damp? Was the bus black or a different colour, as we know how much of a difference that can make too... Would and empty reb bus be quicker than a full black one? Was the test driver ginger?

Her pubes were certainly ginger. :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: 06 September 2015, 00:14:20 »

But if the humidity or air temperature are different, then the results will be different... there are too many variables to be able to replicate it exactly... and as you don't know what any of these variable values were at the time of the original test, you can only guess... which surely instantly renders your result to a ball park  :-\

Fair comment Al. but would air temp/humidity have more of an effect than, for example, an extra 200kgon board?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #338 on: 06 September 2015, 01:01:29 »

Possibly, especially if you add altitude to the mix as well...

Point is, unless you drive the exact same car, on the exact same road, at the exact same time then your results will always be different...

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: 06 September 2015, 03:47:57 »

Well, this is getting a little silly now, isn't it?

Webby - As has been explained before;

The book figures are used as a guide, I would think anywhere 10% plus or minus would be more than accurate for a car rolling off the production line.  Factor in how an engine becomes worn and tired after xxxxx miles and other smaller factors, air temperature, air pressure, rolling resistance (road surface, tyre compound etc).... and you should be looking at more like 15-20% difference.

If you want to compare your car to a same-spec, same weight vehicle, organise a meet at Santa Pod (or other drag strip) and invite others to put their car's against yours!

Thinking about it, how does your car match up with the book 'guide' for MPG?  ;D
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: 06 September 2015, 13:28:01 »

Page 23 and there's more ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: 06 September 2015, 14:15:48 »

I totally get where youre coming from. I'm just curious that's all (easy STEMO)  :y

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: 06 September 2015, 15:37:12 »

As this is marketing talk, I'm sure some manufacturers are going to be much more 'optimistic' than others. A bit like quoted fuel consumption figures and real world ones as these are also important for marketing speak and sales, where we know they are an accurate reflection on what Joe Bloggs can expect to achieve, not! :o :o :o :o

Even if something is specified like the EU fuel consumption tests, they are always open to 'interpretation' on what is a 'production' specification and 'normal' driving! ::) ::) ::) :-X :-X :-X

A few years a go where 600 and 1000cc Supersport bike markets are very competitive, not only with performance but also being the lightest in class. Kerb weight varied considerably from quoted to actual and when the bike manufacturers were called out over this, some admitted it didn't include batteries, fuel, oil, brake fluid etc., etc!!! :o :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: 07 September 2015, 11:07:47 »

Rods that's exactly my point for wanting to weigh the car. If mine is considerably heavier that would make sense  :y

But I won't keep boring and annoying folk. I'll get the car weighed and then I'll mathematically work out where the car would be.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: 07 September 2015, 15:07:42 »

Come on young bear don't give up. :)
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 50   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.