Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting article  (Read 1894 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Interesting article
« on: 31 August 2016, 13:30:47 »

and some shocking statistics:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37229880

Having just yesterday submitted footage from my dashcam which got a local yob reckless quad driver arrested, I can see the usefulness of more dash/helmet cams.  It also means that your own driving is being recorded and potentially under scrutiny.

I would like to say that the type of incident experienced by JV in this article is rare, but while the majority of motorists are good toward cyclists it is shockingly common to be confronted by the ignorant few.  I normally get the initial rage from a motorist and then they get a look at the size of me and calm down.  If I was smaller I guess many more situations would escalate.  In the latest occurrence I was politely asking a motorist to give cyclists more room when passing in future (by rights I was entitled to be angry as the pass was so close if I had not swerved there would have been contact with my handlebar) when a man in a vehicle came rushing to confront me with an aggressive "Are you having a go at that woman?".  After pointing out a few errors in his knowledge of the highway code he calmed down I showed him the footage after which he grunted and went back to his car.

The statistics in the article were certainly sobering.  "In 2014, 21,287 cyclists were injured in reported road accidents, according to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA). This included 3,514 who were killed or seriously injured."

"According to RoSPA figures for 2013, "failing to look properly" was the highest known contributory factor to an accident involving at least one cyclist and another vehicle. Their records showed that one third of the 9,375 incidents were caused by cyclists while two thirds were caused by the other vehicles."

Yikes! :o

aaronjb

Re: Interesting article
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2016, 13:41:47 »

Not to derail you from your lycra-clad point  :P Matt, but this stood out to me:

If drivers and cyclists are driving properly, then neither should have a problem with being filmed

Sounds like the Government argument for universal surveillance, there! Tap everything, film everything, wear that GPS anklet, you have nothing to fear if you're not doing anything wrong..

[edit] I only pass close to attractive female cyclists so I can admire their assets better..  ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2016, 19:10:56 »

I know you have an issue with state surveillance as you seem to mention it a lot, which means you have to stay away from London - one of if not the City with the most CCTV coverage in the world.  I don't think it has ever done you any harm and controls will be more strict when the EU GDPR comes in to effect in about 18 months.  Besides it's not like there are cameras everywhere in your home filming you 24 hours a day...

P.S. I think you are nearly out of fabric softener  ;D ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2016, 20:03:15 »

I know you have an issue with state surveillance as you seem to mention it a lot, which means you have to stay away from London - one of if not the City with the most CCTV coverage in the world.  I don't think it has ever done you any harm and controls will be more strict when the EU GDPR comes in to effect in about 18 months.  Besides it's not like there are cameras everywhere in your home filming you 24 hours a day...

There is an Amazon reorder button he can use for that. ::) ;D Amazon are just launching in the UK a range of IOT reorder buttons. Press the appropriate button and the order is on its way...

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/amazon-dash-buttons-uk-11364083139560
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2016, 20:17:40 »

Aint you heard of Brexit ? Back off Brussels.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2016, 20:23:15 »

Aint you heard of Brexit ? Back off Brussels.  ;D

Brexit or not Brexit, the GDPR will be implemented in the UK  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2016, 20:40:29 »

How so ?  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2016, 21:50:42 »

There is an Amazon reorder button he can use for that. ::) ;D Amazon are just launching in the UK a range of IOT reorder buttons. Press the appropriate button and the order is on its way...

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/amazon-dash-buttons-uk-11364083139560

The kids will love playing with that as the sky darkens and thousands of drones carrying supplies of Andrex jostle for their position on the front lawn. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2016, 22:03:14 »

How so ?  :-\

The ICO supports the GDPR regardless of brexit.  So it will be implemented either way.  The DPA regulations get updated more frequently than other due to the rapidly changing digital landscape so it's just a matter of time before they change and why not align ourselves with the EU on that front seeing as it will aid integration with the EU once we leave?

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2016, 23:55:50 »

Anyone  on 2 wheels is considered a vulnerable road user & needs to be treated as such  :)
What annoys me are the louts on 2 & 4 wheels who consider themselves above the rules of the road in someway  >:(

I run 2 cameras in the Mig to the front / rear & need to replace my Drift Helmet cam `cos  the video is slightly out of focus now

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 01 September 2016, 11:25:44 »

Besides it's not like there are cameras everywhere in your home filming you 24 hours a day...

I hope you're not watching me when I have a crafty tommy tank!  :P

I don't really have that much of a problem with surveillance, really, just like to play devils advocate a lot ;) I'd actually be in favour of national ID cards, for example (I really couldn't figure out what the objection was to those and they'd make a lot of things easier for people who don't have a driving licence).. and don't forget I work in the same field as you - I know avoiding CCTV isn't going to help me while I carry a smartphone and/or use the internet .. half the world's intelligence agencies are more than capable of figuring out where & what I'm doing using that, let alone CCTV. Hell, even Amazon seems to know what I'm thinking about half the time..

(As an aside - watching the new Bourne film yesterday; they 'locate' a hacker down to a building with naught but an IP address.. Piffle I thought, you can't map an IP back to a building! Except .. thinking about it; mobile devices can be happily geolocated remotely, Google street view went around mapping all the public & non-public WiFi networks it could find etc etc. It's probably more than possible to back-track a hacker to a building if you have nation-state resources now..)

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2016, 14:02:26 »

Back on the original topic - I'm considering picking up a BlackVue dash cam for the Skoda once I'm off my spending ban (sigh); yes, spending, not speeding ;D and given the standards of driving I can absolutely understand why cyclists and motorcyclists increasingly use them (although my fear with the latter is that it's more likely to be used in evidence after you've met an untimely end than anything else!)

I suspect (with reference to the original article) "failure to observe" is likely the cause of most accidents, not just those involving car & cyclist, as it appears 90% of drivers need serious corrective lenses. Either that or I have a bad case of the invisibles..

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2016, 18:40:45 »

Just came across this.  I must admit it unnerved me a lot which is normal considering what i have experienced but i would exercise discretion.  The cyclist in this video is very lucky to be alive.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1164410453597925&id=202953729743607
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.