Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Automatic gearbox" warning... help!!  (Read 989 times)

cannonfodder

• Leicester
  • Never ever Blimin anything ever
    • View Profile
"Automatic gearbox" warning... help!!
« on: 14 May 2008, 18:33:55 »

"Automatic gearbox" warning... Have a T reg 20L 16v Omega, which I love to bits. It has intermittently shown this warning over the past few days... loses auto function but I can still drive using 1,2,3... checked fluid, disconnected battery for 15 mins, everything seems physically ok. Couldnt flash out the fault code.  Has anyone encountered this before? and is there a typical problem i should look for before attempting financial suicide???  many thanks in advance   John

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: "Automatic gearbox" warning... help!!
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2008, 21:12:25 »

Mileage and service history?

Did you follow the maintenance guide when checking the fluid level?

tommycon

• oldham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2008, 22:13:36 »

"Automatic gearbox" warning... Have a T reg 20L 16v Omega, which I love to bits. It has intermittently shown this warning over the past few days... loses auto function but I can still drive using 1,2,3... checked fluid, disconnected battery for 15 mins, everything seems physically ok. Couldnt flash out the fault code.  Has anyone encountered this before? and is there a typical problem i should look for before attempting financial suicide???  many thanks in advance   John
when i first bought my 3L auto the same warning came up it was as i was test driving it and i was manually changing the gears to check the box,, when put back in D it seemed to be stuck in top ,very slow acceleration and no kick down,, i restarted the car and everything was fine,,, only ever done this once since and that was while i manually changed gears ,, restarted again and fine,, so never used the  lever just put in D.. i put in down to a sensor fault. had the car a few months now and done alot of miles ,its been fine apart from the dif but thats another story

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2008, 22:28:06 »

Do the lights on the gear selector behave correctly?

Did you check fluid level with engine running and car completely level?

tommycon

• oldham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2008, 22:33:36 »

sounds almost identical! been out on mine today, wd40'd all the wires i could see on the transmission underneath, worked alrite for a bit an then relapsed back!  :-/   most confusin. Seems to do it now after a run. guessin it to be an electrical prob too now !  gotta get it tech II'd i think asap
does it play up whilst in D? mine only brought the fault up when i changed the gears myself,,, the garage i bought it off said it was prob  a sensor and it was about £150 to fix,,, he said the same thing happened the week before with another omega,,, i wasnt that bothered as i only wanted the car for the mint engine but i`ve decided to keep it now as its such a nice lazy drive,, ha ha

cannonfodder

• Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2008, 22:38:04 »

yep lights are ok, checked the selector linkage underneath, and wd40d the selector switch... (dont know if it did any good or not!)  had the car level and running, to be honest used 1 L topping up, think I could do with some more in the morning... my friend, who I think should stick to baking bread (mean that in the nicest possible way) checked it last week for me...  while it was up on wheel ramps...  is a low transmission fluid level likely to trigger loss of  auto d? never had an auto before, had the car now about 5 weeks  

cannonfodder

• Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2008, 22:47:08 »

Hi tommy,
seems to do it in d and manual, dont know whether its because ive been switching between the two, and upset everything !!!! seems to run ok for about 20 mins or so and then just flicks up the warning and loses d    :-?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2008, 08:08:35 »

If the fluid level is wrong, it will do all sorts of weird things.  Does it say 'Automatic Gearbox' as soon as you start it up, or after a few seconds of driving?
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.