Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My first attempt at soldering. :)  (Read 1773 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
My first attempt at soldering. :)
« on: 28 August 2014, 10:46:09 »

Morning fellas,

As per the title, I purchased a soldering iron kit for £6. I wanted to try my hand at soldering for repairing wires, sensors etc. and potentially to wire in some new speakers for a friend.

Anyway, watched a bunch of videos on it and didn't think it looked too difficult.

Kit came with soldering iron, stand (with spring holder for the iron), sponge, solder and something I have no idea what its use is :)

First attempt on an old phone charger...

Sponge and stand....

Thing that I have no idea what its for....

SO. Questions....

Firstly, and most obviously, what's that thing for in last pic?

Secondly, the sponge. it says not to wet it. but without moisture to stick to the excess solder makes the sponge about as useful as playing pool with a piece of rope

Thirdly, do I get replacement solder from b n q and the like I presume?

Oh and one final thing.... don't touch any part of the iron. I accidentally did twice and am nursing two large blisters on my fingers  :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

Re: My first attempt at soldering. :)
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2014, 10:57:50 »

The last thing is a solder sucker; say you want to remove a component from a PCB, you melt the solder and then while it's fluid you pop that up against the blob of solder with the plunger depressed, push the release button and thwock, it sucks up the blob of solder.

Solder wick (looks like a tiny reel of stainless over braid) is also very useful for that.

Though to be honest most components now are surface mount rather than through pins, so desoldering is more about melting both sides and prising the thing off.. solder wick is much more useful in those situations.

As for the sponge - wet it.. I always have ;) That or get some stainless/brass wool instead.

For replacement solder eBay is probably your friend - get 60/40 tin/lead without a flux core.  Maplin might still sell it but a lot of places now only stock "lead free" solder which is a royal pain in the posterior to work with if you're still learning.

Don't go to B&Q! What you'll end up with is probably 70/30 flux cored plumbing solder which you definitely don't want on your electronic components.

[edit] Oh yes, you'll soon learn not to pick it up by the hot end ;) ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2014, 11:00:54 »

legend! thanks aaron :)

ive seen some ''rosinchord'' at 60/40. that the stuff?  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2014, 11:24:44 »

Yep, there you go.. slight inaccuracy in my earlier post - roisincord or RMA is flux cored but it's a mild (electronics) flux rather than the dark orange flux cored plumbing solder you'll find in B&Q.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solder-wire-professional-electronics-solder-tin-lead-500gm-reel-/141384494867?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item20eb2c2f13

It's chuffing expensive from Maplin so I'd go to eBay or RS Components (although they're almost as expensive as Maplin)..

[edit] Oh yes and this is desoldering braid: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/de-soldering-braid-2mm-width-n49fx (I think 'wick' actually implies a cord shaped thing rather than flat like that.. who knew I'd been using the wrong name since school ;D)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2014, 11:27:02 »

Thanks Aaron. When I do it for real on sensors andstuff ill have to remember shrink tube also  :y

this desoldering.... can you not just chip them off a circuit board? wont the pump get clogged  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2014, 11:46:30 »

Thanks Aaron. When I do it for real on sensors andstuff ill have to remember shrink tube also  :y

this desoldering.... can you not just chip them off a circuit board? wont the pump get clogged  :-\
No...Press plunger in again and it spits the little ball of solder out  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2014, 11:49:32 »

Yup, what that man said..

Plus if you try and chip them off you'll most likely take the solder pad and track with it, and then you've got a real fun time trying to repair the board (which can sometimes be flat out impossible if it's multi layer).. so don't do that ;)

P.S. The side of the iron barrel (the fat bit up from the tip) is good for shrinking heat shrink :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2014, 12:00:26 »

excellent cheers lads  :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2014, 12:33:59 »

Mostly, I have been beaten to it, but you might try Rapid Electronics (Colchester) - cheaper than RS and Maplin. I used to authorise buying at a college and I had another issue.....for electronics work a cored solder is essential, but H&S regulations banned rosin-cored solder because of potentially carcinogenic colophony fumes. Research indicates that there is NO safe level, so either I had to install extraction equipment at every soldering position, or buy rosin-free solder.
You must make your own decision on your use.
Yes, ALWAYS wet the sponge - you will burn it away otherwise and it won't do its job anyway.
Just to round it off; always work cleanly, as any dirt or grease on components or wires will prevent the solder from "wetting", and also the iron - wipe it on the sponge before soldering and wipe it after you use  it - PLEASE, no rude analogies here!

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2014, 12:46:48 »

All good advice here :)

Like welding and other similar things, the wires have to be clean, as does the bit (that's the point of the sponge (which should be quite damp (not soaking wet)).

Practice, practice, and practice some more. The key is to apply the solder to the wire, not to the iron (beyond a tiny initial dob after cleaning) - the iron should get the wires hot enough. Smaller irons may struggle with bigger wires.

Good luck
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2014, 12:48:04 »

Oh, and as bigron says, try to avoid inhaling too many fumes, some solders are not good for you ;D
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2014, 13:08:42 »

Thanks boys.

Just repaired my knock sensor :)

i'll wear a mask in future cos I don't like the smell to be honest... plus I doubt as mentioned its good for you.

the repair to the knock sensor doesn't look pretty. but good electrical connection is all im going for :)

burned myself again though  :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2014, 13:12:05 »

Knock sensor is coax cable, so try to maintain the "shield" around the dialectric. Foil does work if you've been a bit hasty.

The handle is always a lot cooler that the bit, so try to hold it by the handle only ::)
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2014, 13:29:06 »

Knock sensor is coax cable, so try to maintain the "shield" around the dialectric. Foil does work if you've been a bit hasty.

The handle is always a lot cooler that the bit, so try to hold it by the handle only ::)

As this is a spare I can simply test this for continuity, right?

lol I was concentrating on the wire I'd just twisted and picked up the iron and OOOOW!!! lol stoopid bear!
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2014, 13:35:48 »

Not sure how you can burn yourself three times with a soldering iron... Especially if it has a stand :o ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.