Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BT Broadband Fight  (Read 4978 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
BT Broadband Fight
« on: 29 June 2019, 16:23:49 »

I have, in the past with my husband and 'the business' been with BT since 1973.  They have been very good as far as I am concerned with straightforward telephone services.

But recently I have become unhappy with my Broadband speed after originally going from the standard package years ago, through to Affinity fibre, then to Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited.  I have been checking my speed a lot recently after my other PC / iPad issues, with it seeming to slow down, and I came out two weeks ago with a download speed, with the BT test, of 35.4 Mb/s.

When I was offered on my log in page a chance to upgrade to Superfast Fibre Plus with an "up to" 79 MB/s speed I, like the naive person I am at times on these IT things, thought that will do me.

Two weeks ago I upgraded online and within 24 hours I was informed it was all set up.  Then last Monday I checked my speed; still 35.4 Mb/s.

I then went into "bring the supplier to book mode", and complained.  Eventually getting through to a person who could help me, the line was checked at their end, with her stating there was a fault in the line / green box "in the street".  Within two hours BT / Openreach contacted me to make an appointment to come and check my lines INSIDE MY HOME;  I went along with it!

Tuesday finds an engineer inside my home checking my line and stating "everything is fine, you cannot expect higher speeds on your line ; in fact you have not been upgraded to the new package"  !!!!!! :o :o :o

The engineer got an ear bashing from me about what 'centre' had told me, and what the hell was any check on my internal wiring to do with a fault "in the street?!!"

After controlling my emotions, the following morning I eventually got through to a few BT 'agents' who gave me different stories of what was happening, with one cutting me off.  I checked my speed again and it had gone DOWN to 32.7 Mb/s!!!! I was actually told that I was "lucky" to get over 25 Mb/s on my line (I am within 3/4 mile from their main town exchange)!! They also kept on repeating the "added benefits" of my new BB package.  I made it clear they mattered not, it was the principle of being sold something as a key feature of the package, taking my money, and not being able to deliver anything like the speed being advertised.

After this I then 'blew' and made contact with the account closure department and ripped them apart stating very clearly that "I have been conned by false advertising and seeking financial gain by that practice".  You are advertising speeds for the Superfast Fibre Plus that cannot be attained even by half (Some of the BT staff, and Openreach engineer, eventually, when pushed, even admitted to that fact and could understand my point of view).  The agent for the account closure department was good, and she started a process to resolve all issues as much as possible.  After another 40 minutes on the phone they agreed to a credit for all the inconvenience and a failure to meet my expectations.  "Please could I stay with BT?"  I said I will see, but I at least would degrade to my previous Broadband package.  I left it with them.

That afternoon I checked my speed again and it had, at last gone UP to 37.9 MB/s the best I have ever seen.  I rang BT back up and told them I will keep to the new package on the understanding that the higher speed will be maintained, with them highlighting the new package will guarantee a £20 refund for every day the speed stays below 25 Mb/s (!!!!!)

Anyway, today a £30 credit has been applied to my account, but it has not stopped me from reporting BT to Ofcom about alleged "False Advertising to gain commercial advantage and financial reward".  As I told many of the BT staff, in retailing if we tried to sell a product that we knew could not meet the specifications advertised and the requirements of the customer, with additional payment being taken, then we risked prosecution.  This should apply to BT and all these telecommunication companies that promise the consumer the Earth when knowingly not being able to provide that level of service! >:( >:(
« Last Edit: 29 June 2019, 16:27:13 by Lizzie Zoom »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: BT Broadband Fight
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2019, 17:12:30 »

Broadband packages aren't honestly marketed by any of the suppliers, I'm afraid. It's as simple as that. If OFCOM weren't such a useless bunch of self-abusers the situation might be better.

Speed checks can also be misleading, though, and are meaningless unless you're using a machine that has a cable connection to the router.

It does sound to me that they shouldn't have sold you the upgrade, though, as it seems that your line is probably already at its limit, and they probably could have figured that out.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2019, 18:08:18 »

Broadband packages aren't honestly marketed by any of the suppliers, I'm afraid. It's as simple as that. If OFCOM weren't such a useless bunch of self-abusers the situation might be better.

Speed checks can also be misleading, though, and are meaningless unless you're using a machine that has a cable connection to the router.

It does sound to me that they shouldn't have sold you the upgrade, though, as it seems that your line is probably already at its limit, and they probably could have figured that out.

Yes indeed Kevin, and one of the better agents I spoke to actually admitted to that!!  They just could not defend BT and these advertised speeds, and even the Open reach guy specifically, after he backed up my speeds tests with his equipment with a load of technical guff that I quickly translated for him, stated the "limit of the line is just not up to those speeds" and "Few peoples lines are without the fibre connection to the green box which is still copper"!!!!!  That really got me fired up! >:( >:(

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2019, 18:40:48 »

I'm (supposedly) getting over 50Mbs, which is good, for £29.99 a month with free BT sport. But there's no way I'll be staying after the 12 months is up, it's just not done.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2019, 18:53:21 »

Sky recently did a "free upgrade"* for us from 35 to 75 Mb/s
just did a u switch check ,says 74 mb/s down, 19 mb/s up
that's copper telephone lines , not fiber to the door or whatever it's called

thing is, don't all suppliers use the same wires and networks anyway  :-\
 so whoever you go with ,your only going to get what the wires will do  :-\

*free upgrade if you don't count the £100 a month they get  ;D :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2019, 18:56:31 »

The fact that you couldn't get the max speed from a lower service (was it 38M or 55M?) means that the 78M service wouldn't give faster downloads (but may boost uploads).

Your beef is with BT, not with Openreach, as your contract/service is with BT.  Remember, BT are not allowed to talk directly to Openreach (good ol' OFCOM, making everything worse for everyone).

Its highly likely that the speeds your are seeing are the best you can get - distance from exchange makes bugger all difference, its distance from the cab. Plus the age/condition of the copper wires between you and the cab. Plus what shit you have on the end of it, including phones.

The ISP can ask Wholesale to bugger around with profiles that can adjust the speed v stability ratios.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2019, 18:58:07 »

Also, the number of other users in the same cables - as this has increased, my speeds have dropped from >70Mbps to under 60Mbps  (using the sync speed as a measurement, as speedtesters are all like cheap watches)
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2019, 18:58:29 »

With the stuff I actually do, I reckon 5 would be fine for me.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2019, 19:04:18 »

The fact that you couldn't get the max speed from a lower service (was it 38M or 55M?) means that the 78M service wouldn't give faster downloads (but may boost uploads).

Your beef is with BT, not with Openreach, as your contract/service is with BT.  Remember, BT are not allowed to talk directly to Openreach (good ol' OFCOM, making everything worse for everyone).

Its highly likely that the speeds your are seeing are the best you can get - distance from exchange makes bugger all difference, its distance from the cab. Plus the age/condition of the copper wires between you and the cab. Plus what shit you have on the end of it, including phones.

The ISP can ask Wholesale to bugger around with profiles that can adjust the speed v stability ratios.

Did I say any different TB? ::) :D

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2019, 19:30:10 »

Out of interest, can you post the results of putting your phone number into this site : https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 June 2019, 19:34:10 »

Out of interest, can you post the results of putting your phone number into this site : https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

I have, but I am using my iPad and cannot copy the page of results without showing my telephone number.  I will do it in the morning when I am using my PC and can edit out the number ;)

« Last Edit: 29 June 2019, 19:36:35 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2019, 20:12:00 »

I have, but I am using my iPad and cannot copy the page of results without showing my telephone number.  I will do it in the morning when I am using my PC and can edit out the number ;)
Hmmm......you need a few lessons on your iPad. Here's mine from my iPad:

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 June 2019, 20:13:29 »

Hmmm......you need a few lessons on your iPad. Here's mine from my iPad:

A very good line!

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2019, 20:23:07 »

;D ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 June 2019, 21:13:44 »

After controlling my emotions.....

[Lord Opti Mode On] This is difficult for most females! [Lord Opti Mode Off]

Well done Lizzie!  :y                                                                                                   :D ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.