Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: CID in "full" use  (Read 38728 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: CID in "full" use
« Reply #45 on: 29 July 2014, 10:46:38 »

IMHO the screens on double din HU's are too low in an Omega to be useful. And it really pains me to agree with gixer ;D
Which (assuming the resolution is supported) could be diverted to the CID with the RGB modification. However, you'll have to control it from the HU touchscreen. That said, inputting destinations into an NCDC/R isn't helped by the archaic interface.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 29 July 2014, 10:49:33 »

IMHO the screens on double din HU's are too low in an Omega to be useful. And it really pains me to agree with gixer ;D
But they do offer all the functionality on the list straight out of the box though :-\ and being low down, you're removing the temptation of watching things on the move ::)
Any installer who has an ounce of common sense knows that the inhibit connection should be hooked up to the handbrake, not doing so is a total disregard for human life in my book. But then we are now faced with a level of human intelligence that thinks it's acceptable to stick an Ipad on the windscreen......

05omegav6

« Reply #47 on: 29 July 2014, 11:58:39 »

You wouldn't actually get very far whilst watching summat before you killed yourself or some other poor sod... and I would like to credit most here with a couple more ounces of common sense than the general populace  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 29 July 2014, 13:28:35 »

But they do offer all the functionality on the list straight out of the box though :-\ and being low down, you're removing the temptation of watching things on the move ::)
S'not for me, the position makes it useless IMHO. Same as the CARiN in PFL - the nav functionality and accuracy was fantastic (if a tad slow with the latest maps), but the screen position made it useless. Hence the NCDR in the bullet
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #49 on: 29 July 2014, 15:07:12 »

[/quote]

Has Taxi Al had...

CID
Telematics
Bose
All Factory fitted?

Do a search, this subject has been done to death. There is NO after market HU that will cater for a dash mounted colour display. It is THE shining light of the omega range and I ain't binning it for that pile of shite.

....not while it's still works anyway ;D

As said, it just needs some inputs. Granted, the moment you have to start fiddling about with add on ports and boxes you know it's out of date. TMC would be nice blah blah blah.

But don't knock the top if the range head unit until

1 you've owned one and worked round the short comings etc

2 have come up against the limits if what's possible to modify it.

Further, at least two prominent members have gone to great lengths to retro fit looms and modulator inputs for me. If nothing else, out of respect for their work, the standard head unit and set up stays. It just needs a few further tweaks. That's all.

Oh, and one corner of the front facia panel needs slightly re attaching. But apart from that... ;D
« Last Edit: 29 July 2014, 15:09:30 by ropeman »

chrisgixer

« Reply #50 on: 29 July 2014, 15:18:09 »

Also, how much us that pcb likely to cost to solder up and instal?

Versus £6-900 for a colour head unit, that will loose the colour dash display to a lower position, worsen the sound due to bose removal and yes I have compared Bose to some modern set ups and the gains are marginal at best with a HUGE dolop of cash to achieve those minuscule gains.

I think I'll try the pcb route first before going down a road that costs more than most omegas are worth.

Now, can we get on....?  So this little pcb gizmo. Anyone with a rough guess how much. I could contact them I guess but I'm at work on me phone, which is a pita. Plus there's slot if experience here. :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 29 July 2014, 15:28:06 »

Apart from a reversing camera or better full screen nav, can't see many other practical day to day uses.

TomTom style of Nav would be nice, I know the on-board one is more accurate but lack of postcodes and unreliability of CD reading makes it a pain to use.

Trouble is TomTom would need to be touch screen, which you cannot do, or have some kind of input, so clunky.

Bit screwed really, anything will be a hack and not very practical. See some where they hook up an Android device, but don't see the point.

05omegav6

« Reply #52 on: 29 July 2014, 15:40:37 »

Horses for courses... :y

Vectra C was available in Germany with a dvd version of the Ncdc, 2017? Which could have potential although Canbus and Bose might be a stumbling block...

In some respects I was lucky having a plod car, as it was a blank canvas, and whilst I appreciate your reasons for upgrading the stock unit, I can't help but wonder that you are passing several supermarkets in order to buy a loaf of bread from the bakers in the next town :-\ so to speak...

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 29 July 2014, 15:48:43 »

The simple answer to a decent audio input is to break into the CD audio circuit between the CD Changer and the Headunit.... There are some drawbacks with that solution though.

Regarding the video input, I think a reversing camera is the only possible sensible use for it.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 29 July 2014, 15:53:03 »

Vectra C was available in Germany with a dvd version of the Ncdc, 2017? Which could have potential although Canbus and Bose might be a stumbling block...

In some respects I was lucky having a plod car, as it was a blank canvas, and whilst I appreciate your reasons for upgrading the stock unit, I can't help but wonder that you are passing several supermarkets in order to buy a loaf of bread from the bakers in the next town :-\ so to speak...

Vectra C, full CAN opens up the World of DVD90's etc.

I would agree that any non-Bose equipped Omega is a good canvas to upgrade, not least because you can replace each element of the audio system when funds allow, eg. Upgrade the speakers first with the original Headunit in place, then upgrade the Headunit at a later date, maybe add in a steering wheel control and display adapter later etc etc.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 29 July 2014, 15:57:37 »

TomTom style of Nav would be nice, I know the on-board one is more accurate but lack of postcodes and unreliability of CD reading makes it a pain to use.

Trouble is TomTom would need to be touch screen, which you cannot do, or have some kind of input, so clunky.

As an addendum to the NCDC Nav, I use Co-pilot on a smartphone for the very latest roads when needed, huge problem is when you have a heat reflective windscreen because none of the modern smartphones or Sat Nav's have external aerial capability (* well unless you can pair a Bluetooth GPS unit to the smartphone). Where I need a specific POI database I'm forced to use an ancient TomTom Go with a proper dock that allows the GPS mouse under the rear parcel shelf to be plugged in.

chrisgixer

« Reply #56 on: 29 July 2014, 16:15:02 »

What would be the best connector to input the pcb thingy? I guess it depends on your chosen device to host media on. I'm currently on a gayphone for tomtom. And as said a touch screen will mean inputting commands prior to setting off, as the input method can't be seen on the CID, so a rack ball type option with pointer and clicker would make screen selection easy. That's not a popular device though, but does highlight the need to have the screen high up *IN THE DASH* though :)

A reversing camera would be the most obvious use, but hopefully any device could be displayed...? Apple have tv out options, as I'm sure Samsung must do as well. But then we're into touch again, so maybe needs must there.

Potentially looking at more than one video input then? :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #57 on: 29 July 2014, 16:16:50 »

Quite happy to travel to get the best and cheapest option. :)

Vega

• The Netherlands
    • Omega Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile

chrisgixer

« Reply #59 on: 29 July 2014, 21:48:34 »

I found this, my someone try to make it.
http://www.hardwarekiller.bplaced.net/dvbtG.htm

Yes I did.

Rearview camera with CID (its all in Dutch)

Good work Vega I like that. Looks a bit simpler as well, they way you've shown it there. Did I mention I like that? A lot :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.