Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about the ncdc 2013  (Read 1803 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Question about the ncdc 2013
« on: 24 September 2014, 18:53:19 »

Quick question about the (non Bose) OEM audio fitted to the omega.

I believe the general consensus seems to be that the head units are of a reasonable quality BUT lack grunt to drive a decent speaker  :-\
After dribbling over admiring Stu C's install, I have been looking into upgrading mine.

I have fitted 2 sets of Infinity components that I have had for a few years. These sound far better then the oem stuff but lack punch when turned up  :(  I love my rock music  :D :D

Well on my t'nternet travels, I found this  :)

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=KTP445

As far as I can see, its just a 4 way amp that sits inline with an Alpine head unit wiring loom.

Now i'm thinking that maybe this could be spliced into the standard NCDC wiring loom  :-\
If so, it would give a reasonably easy way of boosting the available grunt down the existing speaker wiring and driving some decent speakers   :-\

What do you lot think ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the ncdc 2013
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2014, 19:11:10 »

If decent speakers are fitted, the standard unit sounds OK at "normal" sound levels. But if you're after more...

Speaker level output, so you need an amp that can do that.

Lastly, as these were only ever fitted to Elites (Vec-C had different screens), if you bought it paired to an Omega screen, check its not Bose'd, which reduces output levels
Grumpy old man

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2014, 20:43:39 »

If decent speakers are fitted, the standard unit sounds OK at "normal" sound levels. But if you're after more...

Speaker level output, so you need an amp that can do that.

Lastly, as these were only ever fitted to Elites (Vec-C had different screens), if you bought it paired to an Omega screen, check its not Bose'd, which reduces output levels

I used to fit a pioneer one to any installs I did back in the late 80's but not seen one for years hence this attracting my attention.

I've not got a lot of wonga to play with so was looking at something like this that could be slaved in easy / stashed behind the glove box and maybe at a later date, using a Audiocontrol LC7 type contraption with a separate small amp driving a small sub in the side compartment were the Bose sub would have been fitted  :-\

Since I have a estate and tend to use all the load space so space to install separate amps is at a premium  :(
Making a false floor is a no no because i've already raised the floor to incorporate the donut lpg tank  :(

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2014, 20:49:12 »

I was considering burying three disc changers under the false floor as a side effect of fitting a donut tank in the estate... a quick redesign of that dead space should free up potential :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2014, 21:08:08 »

Not sure how big your amps are, but couldn't they fit where the bose amp would go, in the cubby hole?
Grumpy old man

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2014, 08:15:10 »

I was considering burying three disc changers under the false floor as a side effect of fitting a donut tank in the estate... a quick redesign of that dead space should free up potential :-\

I thought of that tbh Al but the false floor is only raised by 50mm plus the thickness of the hardboard so I wouldn't have thought you could lay a amp under there without it getting too warm  :-\
I don't really want to bring it up anymore and loose more space, the pigging dog bangs his head on the roof as it is  ;D ;D

Anyway, thanks for the replies lads BUT as a nice cheapish and convenient way of getting more grunt down to the 4 door speakers using the existing wiring, will that Alpine amp I mentioned do the job ? (with a little bit if playing about)  ;D

Also, has anybody got any pickys of the Bose sub install on a facelift estate so I can see how / where it goes in  ?

Cheers  :)

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2014, 13:28:09 »

I thought of that tbh Al but the false floor is only raised by 50mm plus the thickness of the hardboard so I wouldn't have thought you could lay a amp under there without it getting too warm  :-\
I don't really want to bring it up anymore and loose more space, the pigging dog bangs his head on the roof as it is  ;D ;D

Anyway, thanks for the replies lads BUT as a nice cheapish and convenient way of getting more grunt down to the 4 door speakers using the existing wiring, will that Alpine amp I mentioned do the job ? (with a little bit if playing about)  ;D

Also, has anybody got any pickys of the Bose sub install on a facelift estate so I can see how / where it goes in  ?

Open the tailgate, then open the right hand cubby hole... what you see is what you get... the sub pretty much fills that space :y

Not sure where the amp goes though :-\ tother side perhaps, hence the wheel arch cubbies on the Elite :-\

As for the dog, have you considered a smaller one? That said, STMO only has a Westie, yet felt the need to buy a Daewoo van to cart it around in... ::) ;D
« Last Edit: 27 September 2014, 13:29:48 by Doesn't play well with others... »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2014, 19:02:02 »

Open the tailgate, then open the right hand cubby hole... what you see is what you get... the sub pretty much fills that space :y

Not sure where the amp goes though :-\ tother side perhaps, hence the wheel arch cubbies on the Elite :-\

As for the dog, have you considered a smaller one? That said, STMO only has a Westie, yet felt the need to buy a Daewoo van to cart it around in... ::) ;D

'dangle berries' it wont go in there, some muppet drilled a bloody big hole in the side of the car and mounted the LPG filler there  ::) :-X >:(

Had a dig around in the hole on the left hand side and found a 4 pin plug / loom so that's probably were the amp goes  :-\

A Westie's not a dog, its a piggin hand bag accessory  ;D :D :D
If I ever work out how to stick pickys on here, i'll stick a few of my beast on  :y :y

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2014, 19:31:12 »

You could use spacer sleeves and longer bolts to mount the amp into the boot rather than into the wing :-\ won't encroach on boot space any more than a disc changer :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2014, 17:32:00 »

Oh well, that dream has just gone out of the window  ::)

Piggin oil cooler has totally gone now  >:(
Ended up popping 8 Ariel liquid tabs in it while on a day trip yesterday just to stop the engine top end melting due to coolant starvation after the stat opened  :(

Bloody good stuff this Ariel, bottle went from full of gunge and running very hot too totally clear and running at a nice 85 deg within 50 miles  :)
Smells nice and fresh too  ;D

At least I know how to flush it now  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.