Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2.5TD Propshaft Removal  (Read 1911 times)

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
Omega 2.5TD Propshaft Removal
« on: 16 June 2020, 22:24:50 »

Hi Guys

Is there anyone out there still trying to keep a Vauxhall Omega 2.5TD on the road.
Having said that mine has started making an awful noise which I think is coming from the gearbox so it may well be the end of the road for it.

The noise disappears when the box is in neutral and just the engine running, I say I think its coming from the gearbox and then I got to thinking could it be coming from the propshaft.

So, my master plan was to disconnected the propshaft from the gearbox as it would eliminate the rear axle or anything else which takes its drive from the gearbox.
Now this is where I’m not sure what I’m doing, I’ve taken the three bolts out where the propshaft connects onto the gearbox see in the attached photo and I’ve also remove the two screws which hold the bracket which in turn supports the bearing it’s about half way along the drive shaft.
I then tried to lever the propshaft off the back of the gearbox but it doesn’t seem to want to part, is there something I’m doing wrong??

Again, see my photos for clarification on where I’ve put the lever in an attempt to part the propshaft for the gearbox.
Rightly or wrongly I was then going to start the car and go through the gears to see if the noise was still there but I don’t know if oil will come out of the box?

Does anyone have any ideas on the above and thanks to anyone who can shed some light.

Clive

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM9SzeVtP4DvlWnRc6LJPUOfbow1oRD0V2ClxDilA9zbDb0DtjuZ3A67G0Tnl6LMg/photo/AF1QipOixJfFxO6F7hJDN977NkSEZhh63cqqXX4Str8Y?key=MW9iNDBGRzh5Mm5rOGRNb2ZXMGhlVkM0VFZIVk9B

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN-jGVPhonDUI5wTQqN96CVK0ocSAOp1Fd9Y3iU7J2YGn5lzD6RXBMFNBZjMQZNQA/photo/AF1QipOydHb0Lw2pkXSuOonk1wCmaTou5dszObwM8OMp?key=OEVQU3BkQXhWc2hiMjhHMzZLZnNId3BfdEttSDlR

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3d4jGR8vcxwwQcMB7

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 2.5TD Propshaft Removal
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2020, 22:43:11 »

Ok.

1. You need to undo all six bolts completely from both ends.

2. Won't achieve anything productive.

3. Unbolt the diff end, mark a line across both halves of the shaft (it has a key spline and won't come apart/reconnect easily if oriented out of position). Drop the diff end and slide out from the centre bearing. Then drop the front end out.

Is it manual or auto? Either way it will leak if you pull the flange from the tail shaft, but... Drop the drive shaft as per above, it stays put, ergo no fluid loss ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2020, 11:32:03 »

Hello Doctor Gollum

Thank you for taking the time to reply, a few things:

Am I correct in assuming there is no need to unbolt the centre bearing bracket leaving the bearing in place  :-\

I won’t pull the flanged tail shaft from the gearbox but I’m wondering if it would come flying out if I dare run the car in gear for a few seconds, I’m assuming its splined and just a sliding fit and could easily slip out  :-\

Obviously, the car won’t go anywhere with prop disconnected, it’s a manual gearbox and the whole exercise is just to confirm the noise is defiantly coming from the gearbox itself  :-\

Thank you again for your help

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2020, 11:34:51 »

Gearbox could sound fine when disconnected from the prop shaft but might still be the culprit. Gearboxes tend to whine under load, not when running freely.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2020, 11:53:23 »

Centre bearing comes off with the shaft attached.

It's been a while, but i believe the gearbox flange is secured to the output shaft with a nut,so if it does come out you have bigger problems.

Stemo raises a valid point as well.

Ideally you test the car on a two post lift or mot ramp with the rear end supported (not by the diff :-X).

Wheel bearings can then be ruled out by pulling the handbrake cable at the hub to stop one side or the other.

Being a manual, check the oil level, especially if any leaks from the output seal.

Topping it up may save it.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2020, 12:17:28 »

Would a stethoscope on gearbox and diff give some idea with the back end lifted.Doesnt sound too  safe though with you ender the car

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2020, 12:24:24 »

It isn't, hence the lift/ramp suggestion.

Death is the best result of getting it wrong.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2020, 13:22:00 »

If you do go down the route of jacking the car up at the rear rather than using a lift / ramp, it needs to properly supported on strong wooden blocks on either side, as well as with jacks; obviously with another person sitting in it so that the test can be done at different 'road speeds', and so that they can switch off / brake quickly in the event of the unthinkable happening. I would also strongly suggest linking another vehicle to the rear of the Omega with a wagon ratchet strap just as a precaution.
However, the best scenario has to be speaking to your friendly MOT man, and for the cost of a few beer tokens, at least you will know you will be driving home in the car afterwards.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2020, 16:36:58 »

The propshaft is bolted to the gearbox flange through the rubber disc. The flange is slid onto the output shaft splines, and secured with a nut on the end of the shaft. You won't get the flange off with the prop! The diff end is attached in a similar manner.

Remove the prop complete by undoing all six bolts at each rubber joint, and unbolt the centre bearing carrier from the car. A little jiggling will free the prop, but you will need to move it backwards slightly to release the centering spigot that pushes on the end of the gearbox shaft(outboard of the securing nut). The prop is unweildy and heavy, so be carefull.

You won't lose any oil, and there's nothing to stop you running the car and trying the gearbox with the prop removed. But I would expect your noise to not be the box; diff, clutch bearing then propshaft all need to examined first.

On that note, check the diff oil level before you dismantle anything

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2020, 18:43:02 »

OK Fellas

Stemo,
I must admit I’d not thought about the gearbox being under load, thank you for suggesting it.

Doctor Gollum,
I did check the oil level and it was ok, I wished it wound have been as simple as that.
To be truthful we’ve been having issues of getting the box into first and reverse gear, more so when the weather is cold.
I thought maybe the clutch was the problem, stupid thing is it doesn’t slip and if I stick the handbrake on and try to drive away the car will stall rather than the clutch slip.
What we’ve had to do is put it into first or reverse with engine not running depress the clutch and then start it up and its happy with that.
Once the engine/car has warmed up if we park up to do a bit of shopping for an hour or so, there doesn’t seem to be an issue getting it into gear.
I gave up with that one  :-\

Robson,
I agree with you about lying under the car with it running, I don’t think I’d be too excited about the idea  :o

Johnnydog,
You suggested chatting to my friendly mot man, oddly enough I found this on the RAC website:
RAC 2018
Rumbling noise coming from the gearbox
You might be forgiven for thinking that any strange noises coming from your car would automatically fail your MOT. But the test doesn't actually cover the condition of the gearbox, clutch or engine (apart from emissions), so a growling sound in the gearbox wouldn't affect it.

Right guys I’ve just finished doing a wise thing put the bolts back into the propshaft and dropped the car off the axle stands  :y
I’ll get in touch with the garage where I get it mot’d and see what they have to say.
To be truthful if it is the gearbox, I think it will be the end of the road for it as I’m finding it a bit of a maul now, doing things as heavy as that especially trying to do it lying on one’s back.   

Just out of curiously, are any of you still running around in Omega’s??

Clive

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2020, 21:43:28 »

OK Fellas

Stemo,
I must admit I’d not thought about the gearbox being under load, thank you for suggesting it.

Doctor Gollum,
I did check the oil level and it was ok, I wished it wound have been as simple as that.
To be truthful we’ve been having issues of getting the box into first and reverse gear, more so when the weather is cold.
I thought maybe the clutch was the problem, stupid thing is it doesn’t slip and if I stick the handbrake on and try to drive away the car will stall rather than the clutch slip.
What we’ve had to do is put it into first or reverse with engine not running depress the clutch and then start it up and its happy with that.
Once the engine/car has warmed up if we park up to do a bit of shopping for an hour or so, there doesn’t seem to be an issue getting it into gear.
I gave up with that one  :-\

Robson,
I agree with you about lying under the car with it running, I don’t think I’d be too excited about the idea  :o

Johnnydog,
You suggested chatting to my friendly mot man, oddly enough I found this on the RAC website:
RAC 2018
Rumbling noise coming from the gearbox
You might be forgiven for thinking that any strange noises coming from your car would automatically fail your MOT. But the test doesn't actually cover the condition of the gearbox, clutch or engine (apart from emissions), so a growling sound in the gearbox wouldn't affect it.

Right guys I’ve just finished doing a wise thing put the bolts back into the propshaft and dropped the car off the axle stands  :y
I’ll get in touch with the garage where I get it mot’d and see what they have to say.
To be truthful if it is the gearbox, I think it will be the end of the road for it as I’m finding it a bit of a maul now, doing things as heavy as that especially trying to do it lying on one’s back.   

Just out of curiously, are any of you still running around in Omega’s??

Clive
That sounds like sticking clutch, i.e. not disengaging with pedal fully depressed. Could be sticking splines, or failing slave cylinder. Either way, it's a gearbox off job to rectify.
I am still running an Omega, 2000 petrol manual 2.5 estate; mine is noisy too, blowing exhaust manifold, MOT due April 24th, but extended thanks to coronavirus.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 June 2020, 22:41:35 »

The noise disappears when the box is in neutral and just the engine running, I say I think its coming from the gearbox and then I got to thinking could it be coming from the propshaft.

Do you mean the noise goes when you are coasting in neutral?  If so, bear in mind that the propshaft and differential will still be turning, powered by the wheels rather than the gearbox. It will be free-wheeling on the gearbox end, unless I've misunderstood what you mean.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2020, 16:07:49 »

It might be the differential low on oil, check that first. Otherwise, it could be a noisy diff, support rear of car securely, get under the car and listen. I have a pit, and have traced half a dozen noisy diffs that way. You can pick up a used diff for £30. Anything else is not worth doing on a 20 year old car.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.