Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Project MV6  (Read 10954 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Project MV6
« Reply #45 on: 22 February 2017, 17:26:12 »

Obviously she uses the real word, not self-abusers. Bloody censor.
Grumpy old man

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22 February 2017, 18:23:26 »

MAF idle readings would be useful - recalculated to kg/hr. Once off warm up cycle, you should be looking around 13-14kg/hr on a 3.2

18mpg sounds perfectly normal for a 3.2, unless on a long cruise.

But on gas?

Fixed multi-ram and fairly standard crappy run to work saw 22mpg from my 3.2 today.  :(
I never get to drive it now, so no idea what it'd do on gas, I'm going from when I used to use it, and on petrol.  Mrs TB gets around 20mpg on gas, but she only drives a little bit quicker than you most of the time...  ...it all goes wrong, to quote her, "when self-abusers in VWs get in her way".  It used to be "self-abusers in BMWs with small dicks", but over the last couple of years, its definitely VW drivers that knacker her economy ;D

But we know the 3.2 is around 15-20% less economical than the 3.0, so 18 seems to be in right sort of ballpark to me, with the 3.0 being around 22/23mpg on petrol when not on a nice steady cruise.

I'm not an expert, but I once had an Elite that I always thought was thirstier than other Omegas I'd had, so maybe a 3.2 Elite is thirstier that a 3.2 MV6 which carries a lot less stuff than an Elite, like no leather seats, fewer electric this and that, maybe less engine insulation. I dunno, just maybe  :-\
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 22 February 2017, 20:52:21 »

Monday was the first day that I drove it to work. The route I took takes me down to sea level then winds up to about 600 feet over a couple of miles. There is an alternative little road that goes straight up the hill that I don't usually use because it is narrow and covered in cow shit. After getting stuck behind a Landrover at the bottom of the hill I took the little road and I just might have given it full throttle all the way to the top. The average was reading 13mpg when I got to work. ::)

The average improved yesterday to 18mpg..

I didn't drive it today but I will check the idle MAF reading tomorrow .
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 22 February 2017, 21:11:24 »

Monday was the first day that I drove it to work. The route I took takes me down to sea level then winds up to about 600 feet over a couple of miles. There is an alternative little road that goes straight up the hill that I don't usually use because it is narrow and covered in cow shit. After getting stuck behind a Landrover at the bottom of the hill I took the little road and I just might have given it full throttle all the way to the top. The average was reading 13mpg when I got to work. ::)

The average improved yesterday to 18mpg..

I didn't drive it today but I will check the idle MAF reading tomorrow .

What part of Cornwall Andy?
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 22 February 2017, 23:04:55 »

I,ve been driving a 3.2 Elite for the past 2 years and agree the mpg isn't great ,but the grin factor out weights the cost imho.

Most days I do a mixture of Motorway/A roads and town and usually get around 23.0mpg.True if you hit the load pedal you will see 12-15mpg but you need to take an average over several 1000 miles to be objective.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 23 February 2017, 09:36:43 »

Took my apprentice to nursery and the EML came on straight away. Got home and the code won't clear.

Mass flow with the engine at 93degrees is now 0.0 kh/hr. The air intake temperature is reading 17 degrees so at least the MAF is still connected :P

What is the recommended source for a good MAF? Main dealer?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 23 February 2017, 10:15:27 »

Took my apprentice to nursery and the EML came on straight away. Got home and the code won't clear.

Mass flow with the engine at 93degrees is now 0.0 kh/hr. The air intake temperature is reading 17 degrees so at least the MAF is still connected :P

Bosch MAF from euro parts is 170 plus vat unless you have someone in trade that can get you there discount(its 96 trade) :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 23 February 2017, 10:41:06 »

I hate Euro Car Parts, utter thieves even to the trade:

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/bosch/1150725

£55 plus shipping but its often best to call them and confirm its Bosch, also get the Bosch code off your original.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 23 February 2017, 18:24:03 »

Usually they go lazy, rather than completely fail.  If looking at a £150 replacement, I reckon I'd measure the resistance of the wires between maf and ecm first.

Did you not have a 2.6 you could try the maf from, before spending hard earned?

As for brand, I'd be content with a genuine Bosch, which rules out ebay/ECP/CP4L and the other usual scumbags.
Grumpy old man

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 23 February 2017, 19:09:24 »

Got a Known working Bosch one here 0281 002 184 For a 3.2  :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 23 February 2017, 19:57:32 »

Usually they go lazy, rather than completely fail.  If looking at a £150 replacement, I reckon I'd measure the resistance of the wires between maf and ecm first.

As for brand, I'd be content with a genuine Bosch, which rules out ebay/ECP/CP4L and the other usual scumbags.
I need to have another look at the wiring behind the battery, Something has worn through the sleeving around the red cables dropping from the big fuses on top of the battery and I need to look a bit closer to check for other damage. Continuity tests on the MAF to ECU cables needs to be part of that.

I do have the 2.6 to borrow parts from - it shouldn't take me long to swap the MAFs between them to see if the fault moves from one car to the other.

Do you have any experience of the supplier that Marks DTM Calib linked to  https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/bosch/1150725 ?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 23 February 2017, 19:58:40 »

How much?

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 23 February 2017, 20:34:57 »

How much?
Check the number on yours first,If it is the same i will post it off to you..If your happy with it £15+post  :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 28 February 2017, 13:12:13 »

Have you got a wiring diagram for that?
I assume that my Haynes won't have a useful diagram because it was never updated for the facelift :-\

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 16 March 2017, 14:49:13 »

Thanks to SteveB I had a known working MAF about 3 weeks ago now :y

Due to work, children, illness etc it took me a week to fit it (I did that because it was quicker than testing the wiring) but I didn't have time to prove it worked. The next morning I jumped in to the car to go to work and it wouldn't turn over - I just got a clunk from the starter and a dimming of the warning lights.

Battery went on to a smart charger and I left it for another week. Battery back in car on Monday (fully charged) and it still wouldn't turn over.

This afternoon I finally got 1/2 an hour to try and do some diagnosis.

After a few more attempts to start it (and much waggling of terminals) it suddenly sprang in to life. While poking around with a voltmeter trying to find a poor connection / high resistance I found a very hot cable crimp.

I guess that was the cause of the problem then ;)

All I need to do now is find a good way to remake the joint (or acquire a good cable with terminals attached)

Ideas / tips anyone?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.