Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: police should go back on beat  (Read 2729 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
police should go back on beat
« on: 01 November 2017, 13:24:23 »

Had an interesting convo with a cop who was trying to defend policing by car, saying it meant they could get to an incident quicker, however that is a reactionary procedure where they only arrive after the incident. If cops were on the beat they can still have a percentage in cars for back up, where regular foot patrols provide a visible presence around back streets and alleys where cop cars don't go and would likely miss the beginnings of an incident, unless it was right in front of them. In my time i've seen many incidents develop, people fighting, breaking into cars on a busy street and police just drove by.

It worked before so why not again, we have more plod now than ever before, yet crime is rising again. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 01 November 2017, 13:26:59 by grifter »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: police should go back on beat
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2017, 13:36:37 »

Perhaps because we have more drug users/dealers and immigrants now than erstwhile, Mr. Grifter?

Ron.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2017, 14:35:47 »

The eyes on the street was supposed to be the job of the PCSO's.

Sadly, with even more cuts, most forces are either cutting back. Iirc, with lincolnshire plod they are dispanding them altogether  >:(

At the end of the day when the country is doing good and people have jobs and money, the crime figures drop.
When the country turns to shit and people are skint, people go out on the rob and make money in other ways  ;)

Lifes brilient init  ;D ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2017, 17:34:52 »

In a perfect world, and if the police themselves could arrange it, there would be enough officers to go out "on the beat", walking around in two's.  But the reality is, thanks to ridiculous levels of cuts experienced by the nations police forces, there are not enough officers to be deployed in that manner.

I have been out with shifts who are expected to cover extensive areas on their beat, and may have to respond to a treble nine and travel 20+ miles to get from one side of the area to the other.  To do this they must be in cars to have any chance at giving the public any chance of a reasonable response time.  Do not forget either that not all police drivers can use blues and two's; I have been out on shifts where out of 3 patrol cars, 6 officers, only one driver is passed out to advanced level and can travel on blues and two's and not have to adhere to usual laws regarding speed and traffic lights etc as you and I have to.

The police are impossibly stretched, and are now trying various new forms of policing policy, like New Horizon down here in Kent to overcome the shortfalls.  Thanks to government policy they are also preparing for more cuts to come, which we the public allow at our peril.

Forget the "falling crime" figures.  The fact is that many crimes go unreported as the public find it difficult to obtain an initial response vie either 999 and especially 101, and many minor crimes may not even be officially logged, or at least have no action taken in regards to them. Indeed, over the last six months, there has been a tremendous spike in reported crime due to many factors.

No, if we the public want the type of police force most of us want to give us the assistance we need from them when we do, we MUST start paying for it in higher taxes.  The Government, living in an ivory tower, must start to get their act together on this issue before we reach the point of no return.
« Last Edit: 01 November 2017, 17:37:37 by Lizzie Zoom »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2017, 17:56:22 »

We don't have a Police Station in my town any more, and the nearest one for Dorset Police is 10 miles away.  There are closer Devon & Cornwall stations but of course they won't come to Dorset.  ::)

There is talk of merging Dorset Police and the Devon & Cornwall Constabulary which dosn't seem like a bad idea to me, as it would free a lot of money currently spent on replicated  backroom admin, for front line boys in blue.  :y

When you think about it, it's absurd that we have 39 Police Forces in England, when the job could be probably be done more effectively by 5 or 6 big regional forces or even a national force.   ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2017, 19:10:13 »

We don't have a Police Station in my town any more, and the nearest one for Dorset Police is 10 miles away.  There are closer Devon & Cornwall stations but of course they won't come to Dorset.  ::)

There is talk of merging Dorset Police and the Devon & Cornwall Constabulary which dosn't seem like a bad idea to me, as it would free a lot of money currently spent on replicated  backroom admin, for front line boys in blue.  :y

When you think about it, it's absurd that we have 39 Police Forces in England, when the job could be probably be done more effectively by 5 or 6 big regional forces or even a national force.   ;)
You can’t really blame them for not wanting to come into Dorset.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2017, 19:14:50 »

You can’t really blame them for not wanting to come into Dorset.

True, those Debbem Dumplings probably think we're a bit too hard for them!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2017, 19:17:56 »

The main police station in town[where all the pubs/clubs are]closes between 8p.m. and 8a.m. Perhaps if the beat officers had less paperwork to do every time they nicked someone[couldn't this be done by civilian staff?]they could spend more time doing what people expect them to be doing.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2017, 19:19:27 »

We don't have a Police Station in my town any more, ........

Neither do we. They did build a nice new station, moved in to it for a short few years and then vacated it. It now stands empty and boarded up.  ::)
I'm guessing that it was nothing to do with cut backs but more to do with us being such an honest bunch that it was decided that it was not needed.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2017, 19:26:22 »

We’ve got a little ‘community’ police station just round the corner. There’s no one there, young coppers just drop in for a piss now and again.  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2017, 19:41:53 »

Our local police station was closed down about 25 years ago, so the nearest one was 3 miles away. Not long ago, the one 3 miles away was shut down, so now the nearest one is 10 miles away.
However, the police foot patrols have been in sharp decline for decades, long before any cuts. They seem to have funds for all kinds of guff which is nothing to do with them though, which are invariably connected to diversity / political correctness / lefty liberal claptrap.
Meanwhile if you are burgled, theres little chance they will even pay you a visit, and if they do it will usually be at least 24 hours after the event.
The morons who run the Police these days get no support from me.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2017, 19:43:21 »

Whilst it's incredibly easy to believe the Lefty, union profligated view that the current government is entirely to blame... it would be prudent to accept the fact that Blair/Brown bankrupted the country with their free spending policies and moneynoobject public sector benefits.

There are only two solutions:

1. Cut budgets across the board.
2. Raise taxes.

Obviously combining the two would be the most effective approach,  but only one gets voters out.

Without getting all political, if we want better levels of services, we should be prepared to pay for it...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2017, 19:45:06 »

I don't think its that simple. Like the NHS and most other public services, if the budget was unlimited the service would still be patchy at best, due to the mindset of those charged with running the show.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2017, 21:24:19 »

I don't think its that simple. Like the NHS and most other public services, if the budget was unlimited the service would still be patchy at best, due to the mindset of those charged with running the show.

The mindset of the senior officers right up to Chief Constable is one of trying to bake the right cake whilst being starved of the ingredients that could make it anywhere near acceptable in the perfect world we desire. They are struggling.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 November 2017, 22:03:22 »

I disagree, but theres no point arguing about it.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.