Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: steering rack or front wheel bearing problem?  (Read 4307 times)

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: steering rack or front wheel bearing problem?
« Reply #15 on: 01 December 2017, 09:56:37 »

Before randomly changing the Wheel Bearing (which would likely be noisy as well as having play) get a young assistant to put their foot on the brake when you rock the wheel... If the play remains then it’s not the bearing but one of the numerous ball joints in the steering assembly, which is far more likely.   ;)

Edit: Just read that it is a bit rough/noisy so my be the case it needs doing anyway but I’d still be doing the test with the brake applied. All that said, it could easily be more than one component causing the issue.  ::)

Will do.  :y

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 December 2017, 21:01:57 »

The wheel bearing needed doing but the rumble was still evident. Pretty sure the culprit is the driver side shock. So badly rusted that the spring is forcing the bottom of the assembly downwards. With enough weight in the car the tyre is touching the shock on cornering. New shocks ordered on Tuesday night from MAPCO, £110 ish delivered, arrived this morning and are now on the car. Will test drive tomorrow and report back.

Anyone replacing the front shock absorbers will find it reasonably straight forward. I suppose I should have tried to produce a maintenance guide with pictures, sorry. Oh, and you must do both at the same time:

I removed the discs for better access to the assembly. You will need spring compressors which are cheap online. Access to the lower drop link bolt is a bit of a pain at the bottom as the light level sensor assembly is in the way, but doable. Be aware that there is usually a spanner accepting area on the inside of the link to stop the ball joint from spinning as you undo it. Mine was 17mm. Release the clip holding the brake pipe to the shock. Pull away the ABS sensor wire from the shock.
Undo the two big bolts at the bottom 18mm. Leave one bolt in place. Unbolt the top nut 24mm using a spanner whilst holding the top of the damper 10 or 11mm. Remove the loose bolt and pull the hub away. The shock can now be dropped out. Put the old shock on the bench and remove the spring. Carefully does it, there is a lot of tension there if they fly off! Put nuts, washers and other parts you need to reuse in order as they come off so you know how they go back.
Reassembly is the reverse. Not sure of the correct torques. I put 65NM on drop links and 90Nm plus 60 degrees on the big bottom bolts. The top bolts I just tightened up tight as I could with a ring spanner. Only problem I had, there are always a few aren't there >:(,  was getting the brake hose support back onto the shock. Had to open up the hole a bit with my dremel.

« Last Edit: 21 December 2017, 21:06:11 by berserkerboy »

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 December 2017, 07:16:50 »

I suppose it goes without saying a full geometry check after all the work

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 December 2017, 09:02:42 »

Suspension is wishbone type. Will replacing the shocks have affected setup? I read on a site that it wouldn't.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 December 2017, 09:44:46 »

Suspension is wishbone type. Will replacing the shocks have affected setup? I read on a site that it wouldn't.

suspension on an Omega is McPherson strut, not wishbones! And it's a fussy implementation, which requires a full alignment session after major work. Replacing the shocks involves undoing them from the hub carrier, which immediately destroys the camber and toe settings. You can do a pretty good job of the camber with simple tools, but the car's drivability won't be as good as it ought to be.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 December 2017, 10:35:01 »

Oops, showing my ignorance. How is toe and camber set as there didn't seem to be any leeway when tightening up the 2 big bolts at the bottom of the shock?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 December 2017, 10:39:52 »

Oops, showing my ignorance. How is toe and camber set as there didn't seem to be any leeway when tightening up the 2 big bolts at the bottom of the shock?

????? There's several degrees of adjustment, from positive to that looks broken negative. Both holes being slotted doesn't help when you need a camber adjustment accurate to a few minutes. That's also the reason why you lose the toe setting.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 December 2017, 20:37:14 »

Ah, I understand now. The top bolt is moveable to be able to set the camber. Damn.. Have 500 miles to do over Christmas. What do you think? Toe in was checked at a garage today and is okay. They didn't have the equipment to do camber but the top of my wheels look like they are pointing too much to the centre of the car. If I pull the top of the wheel out as far as I can and nip up the bolts will that be better than doing nothing?

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 December 2017, 21:10:24 »

If you could get it checked properly tomorrow morning might well save you 2 tyres and an unpleasant 500 miles of driving..then still 2 new tyres.

After doing the work you have best advise s get it set properly then enjoy the drive.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 December 2017, 21:37:11 »

Ah, I understand now. The top bolt is moveable to be able to set the camber. Damn.. Have 500 miles to do over Christmas. What do you think? Toe in was checked at a garage today and is okay. They didn't have the equipment to do camber but the top of my wheels look like they are pointing too much to the centre of the car. If I pull the top of the wheel out as far as I can and nip up the bolts will that be better than doing nothing?

No.

It needs to be right, and that is a very small window.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 December 2017, 21:41:46 »

Unlikely I can get this done before I need to leave. I think my best solution: Rim 470mm diameter. 470mm multiplied by tan 1deg 40 minutes is approx. 13.7mm. So I need to make sure that the top of the rim is this distance from the vertical.  :y.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 December 2017, 21:55:48 »

Unlikely I can get this done before I need to leave. I think my best solution: Rim 470mm diameter. 470mm multiplied by tan 1deg 40 minutes is approx. 13.7mm. So I need to make sure that the top of the rim is this distance from the vertical.  :y .

You're trying to piss up a rope. Do you know anyone who has a digital angle gauge like THIS commonly used for setting saw blades or work pieces in milling machines. Then you rest a piece of angle iron across the wheel, and measure the camber to 1.1 degrees which is damn close to what is needed. After loosening the top nut, and just slackening the bottom. As you will change the toe setting doing this, it should still be considered an initial adjustment to get you in the right area before having a proper alignment.

Here's mine stuck to a magnetic disc that centres in the wheel hole:

« Last Edit: 22 December 2017, 21:58:42 by Nick W »

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 December 2017, 22:17:02 »

Thanks for the advice Nick. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the digital equipment. Will see if the camber is miles out tomorrow using my method. I realise it's not ideal by a long shot as the car needs to be on level ground and there is the accuracy of the level to consider. Think the 500 miles will have to be done in the wifes smart car. :-[
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.