Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace/repair rear subframe mounting panel inner sill senator/meg  (Read 1639 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile

Hi

Has anyone had to fix or replace this, it's the bit at back inner sill where subfframe mounts to. On senator i have one of the little extensions where one of the bolts goes into was rotting away. Got 2 replacement panels from germany. However bit of a balll ache to get it removed, chiseled along behind it to release join to sill section, drilled out as many spot welds as can get to. Think will have to replace floor panel aboce it as had to chisel into above where spot welds were.

Once i manage to get section removed, will have to offer new bit up, align it via 3rd mount for it at back of floor pan, swing it into place and weld up. Trouble is i've got a stand and block of wood holding back end up. This is where 3rd mount is on chassis, cant jack car anywhere else on back as have split the rear sill, and this panel compromises part of the jacking point.

Only option i can think is long block of wood along sill under door and jack up spreading weight, but difficult still where to put axle stand. Not sure i want a senator face plant lol!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Replace/repair rear subframe mounting panel inner sill senator/meg
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2018, 20:29:12 »

I jack the front point on the same side, then axle stand under front chassis rail.

Then use the jack as required to support the rear trailing arm...

Both rear wheels stay on the ground :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2018, 07:36:50 »

I jack the front point on the same side, then axle stand under front chassis rail.

Then use the jack as required to support the rear trailing arm...

Both rear wheels stay on the ground :y

The whole back axle is out, axle stand on back chassis with block of wood after rear floor, where part of subframe to body mounts, and need this out of way now to alight new rear jacking/sill panel, cant jack on sill edge now as bust off all spot welding and split it from rest of sill. Painted myself into corner.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2018, 08:01:24 »

Could you try keeping the jack roughly on the same front to back alignment but using a large thick sheet of ply/MDF to spread the weight, then a plank then the jack followed by axle stand to one side of centre to give swinging room. Tilt balance then taken up with another jack then axle stand on the opposite rear above exhaust back box or equivalent on the other side.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2018, 03:06:27 »

Drop the tank and use the rear chassis rails above then...

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2018, 07:42:15 »

Everywhere left to jack is too far up for jack to reach. Already gor back end about as far as jack would lift it, boot lid tip is about level with my gut!

The only thing i think will work is a long bit of 4*2 along the back of sill and lift that way, back end is devoid of tank, subframe (weighs a ton) and exhaust so light enough to lift now without worry that sill disintegrates under jack. the long block of tree should help.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2018, 22:55:42 »

Everywhere left to jack is too far up for jack to reach. Already gor back end about as far as jack would lift it, boot lid tip is about level with my gut!

The only thing i think will work is a long bit of 4*2 along the back of sill and lift that way, back end is devoid of tank, subframe (weighs a ton) and exhaust so light enough to lift now without worry that sill disintegrates under jack. the long block of tree should help.
In which case either get the appropriate stands/jacks for the working height, or use a bit of thought and improvise...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.