Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horizontal murphy bed  (Read 2013 times)

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
Horizontal murphy bed
« on: 15 February 2018, 17:06:52 »

I'm thinking of building one to provide space saving guest accommodation and wonder if anyone has experience of this.
I don't need plans as such, and can source timber materials OK, but most of the mechanical parts seem to emanate from the States. There is a London firm advertising  online, which looks interesting, but has anyone found any others which I should look at. Or has any genius designed his own from component parts?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Horizontal murphy bed
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2018, 09:52:14 »

I have one in the spare room.  I got it off Amazon iirc, delivered a week or so later, took an hour to put together.  You may want to think about how you are going to fix it to the floor and whether it is going to be hidden in to a closet or not.  I built one for mine although I havent done the doors yet.

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2018, 20:20:02 »

Thanks Scimmy_man, but the price without gas pistons just doesn't appeal, I'm afraid.
The best I've seen so far is an American adjustable kit but there doesn't appear to be a comparable British (or European) version advertised online. The performance capability of the pistons has to be carefully matched to the weight of the total bed construction to ensure smooth and easy 'counter-balanced' operation, so there are some calculations to be made about which I currently don't have a clue. The various advertisers don't offer much help about this. Cue more research, I think. >:(

Guffer. Thanks for your interest. I want to build this myself purely for the satisfaction of doing so, and hopefully designing finishing trims etc. which will be both attractive, and to personal taste.
(I will of course be copying some online construction ideas to some extent.)  ::)

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2018, 20:37:42 »

Thanks Scimmy_man, but the price without gas pistons just doesn't appeal, I'm afraid.
The best I've seen so far is an American adjustable kit but there doesn't appear to be a comparable British (or European) version advertised online. The performance capability of the pistons has to be carefully matched to the weight of the total bed construction to ensure smooth and easy 'counter-balanced' operation, so there are some calculations to be made about which I currently don't have a clue. The various advertisers don't offer much help about this. Cue more research, I think. >:(

Guffer. Thanks for your interest. I want to build this myself purely for the satisfaction of doing so, and hopefully designing finishing trims etc. which will be both attractive, and to personal taste.
(I will of course be copying some online construction ideas to some extent.)  ::)
Couldn't you use two omega bonnet struts?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2018, 09:32:05 »

Thanks Jimmy944. This is the London firm I referred to and it seems to be the only decent UK one available. Bit puzzled about the delivery qualification however, because the last time I checked, my address is definitely in the UK.  ;D
This will do the job and hopefully the quality will be OK.
Thanks again.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2018, 13:36:38 »

No problem, please do report back. Off the back of this topic, I'm contemplating one when we move!  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2018, 13:42:06 »

No problem, please do report back. Off the back of this topic, I'm contemplating one when we move!  ;D
Fold down beds are for tiny flats, not the huge mansions the likes of you live in. ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2018, 14:36:51 »

Normally I'd agree entirely, but the full sized snooker table in the 6th bedroom does leave it a little cosy for the four poster.

;D

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2018, 15:22:48 »

Mine's going in the garden shed because SWMBO can't cope with my snoring, but I haven't quite persuaded her yet that it's for her to use, and not me.  ::)

Jimmy944.   I'll update this as I progress. I'm going to use some free online plans, changing some measurements to suit an odd-sized memory foam mattress we've got. (Sorry! I don't know to post a link to the site).

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 March 2018, 10:32:05 »

Interim update.
I've bought the 'hinge kit' above and whilst it seems to be good quality and delivery was incredibly fast, the instructions could be much better. It's a pity that firms don't do that little bit extra to provide more comprehensive instructions, avoiding the need for time to be spent on careful interpretation of sometimes ambiguous pictures, checking and re-checking drill sizes etc. It will certainly do the required job, though.
Now to order the timber and to decide whether to get the largest pieces cut to sizes required before delivery. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.