Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Tax Rip Off?  (Read 5350 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Car Tax Rip Off?
« Reply #15 on: 09 July 2018, 09:24:11 »

There's no logic to it. Manufactures just manipulated their emmision figure to put their cars in lower bands. I've an 05 700cc Smart Roadster, its road tax is around £120 whereas my 08 1000cc Smart Fortwo (451) is £30 a year to tax. My 07 Merc R320 is £500+ a year but the newer R350 .... basically the same 3.0 engine ) is £300something to tax.  :-\
You can't bitch and moan about the R Class... If the tax bothered you, you could have bought one registered before 23/3/2006... ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 July 2018, 10:09:57 »

my 08 1000cc Smart Fortwo (451) is £30 a year to tax.

We've been looking at these for Louise the last few days - all the traders rattle on about £0 road tax, but as far as I can tell they're all £30/yr like yours.. but then, how many traders are actually honest and accurate ;D

Can't figure out if we want one with PAS (incredibly rare, it seems) or not.. for me, I'd happily live without PAS, but she'll be learnering in it and jumping between that and the instructors Yaris (which has PAS, of course). </drift>

Mine is the 84bhp turbo & does have PAS. I test drove a car without PAS and for a little car, it was far heavier than you'd think hence me looking specifically for a car with.
If you do go for a Smart, avoid the mhd like the plague (mini hybrid ..... nothing hybrid about it but has stop/start) .The stop/start is done via a large poly V belt that is like a bow string and the engine is started via a combined starter/alternator. As the belt us that tight, it put huge strain on one of its mounts ...... Mercedes are on their 3rd modification.  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 July 2018, 10:11:34 »

There's no logic to it. Manufactures just manipulated their emmision figure to put their cars in lower bands. I've an 05 700cc Smart Roadster, its road tax is around £120 whereas my 08 1000cc Smart Fortwo (451) is £30 a year to tax. My 07 Merc R320 is £500+ a year but the newer R350 .... basically the same 3.0 engine ) is £300something to tax.  :-\
You can't bitch and moan about the R Class... If the tax bothered you, you could have bought one registered before 23/3/2006... ;D
Who's bitching? I'm merely comparing my R320 to a R350  :P

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2018, 10:40:21 »

That does sound crazy, I ran my car thru the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) website.
  http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/

Gives additional MPG figures & you can search for the most green /fuel efficient cars

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 09 July 2018, 11:04:23 »

Mine is the 84bhp turbo & does have PAS. I test drove a car without PAS and for a little car, it was far heavier than you'd think hence me looking specifically for a car with.
If you do go for a Smart, avoid the mhd like the plague (mini hybrid ..... nothing hybrid about it but has stop/start) .The stop/start is done via a large poly V belt that is like a bow string and the engine is started via a combined starter/alternator. As the belt us that tight, it put huge strain on one of its mounts ...... Mercedes are on their 3rd modification.  ::)

We've driven a few - one with PAS, two without - and for me, I thought the PAS car felt like it was incredibly nervous at motorway speeds, with tiny wheel movements pitching us all over the place; while the non-PAS cars felt much more planted. But it's not for me... :)

You had to say that about the mhd, though.. she'd just found a car she really liked - 40k on the clock, service history, nice colour, well cared for .. but it's an mhd (as are about 99.9% of the cars I can find for sale - 14 pages of mhd and about two turbo cars).

Of course, honestjohn says not to get the turbo cars as aftermarket exhausts wear through the turbo coolant pipe and kill the engine..

..and don't get the diesel because the DPF dies.

I hate buying cars! There are no "good" choices, it seems. :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 July 2018, 11:11:00 »

Window shopping this morning and I started to wonder if a  Toyota Camry might be a suitable appliance :-[

On a positive note, now the old car MoT/tax situation is more 'sensible', I notice that there's a spattering of '70s S Classes for sale at reasonable prices  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 July 2018, 11:28:14 »

We've driven a few - one with PAS, two without - and for me, I thought the PAS car felt like it was incredibly nervous at motorway speeds, with tiny wheel movements pitching us all over the place; while the non-PAS cars felt much more planted. But it's not for me... :)

You had to say that about the mhd, though.. she'd just found a car she really liked - 40k on the clock, service history, nice colour, well cared for .. but it's an mhd (as are about 99.9% of the cars I can find for sale - 14 pages of mhd and about two turbo cars).

Of course, honestjohn says not to get the turbo cars as aftermarket exhausts wear through the turbo coolant pipe and kill the engine..

..and don't get the diesel because the DPF dies.

I hate buying cars! There are no "good" choices, it seems. :(

https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=info&mod=886  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 July 2018, 11:39:04 »

My two pennies worth is to the OP, the £315 is a fact like the £1.279 per litre for fuel, that my car burns at just 19.3 mpg around town, and I will find £1,000 this year to do my cam belt and major service, plus another £400 for misc maintenance.

But would I change all that for a SMART car, or Fiat 500c and save a fortune?  No f'ing way, because I love the Omega I have, as I have loved all my previous Omega's and large engined Vauxhalls generally.

If you want to be in the Omega club, you have to pay for it, and the £315+ you pay in Vehicle Tax is nothing in the scheme of things; especially compared to what my dream red label Bentley would cost!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 July 2018, 11:44:18 »

My two pennies worth is to the OP, the £315 is a fact like the £1.279 per litre for fuel, that my car burns at just 19.3 mpg around town, and I will find £1,000 this year to do my cam belt and major service, plus another £400 for misc maintenance.

But would I change all that for a SMART car, or Fiat 500c and save a fortune?  No f'ing way, because I love the Omega I have, as I have loved all my previous Omega's and large engined Vauxhalls generally.

If you want to be in the Omega club, you have to pay for it, and the £315+ you pay in Vehicle Tax is nothing in the scheme of things; especially compared to what my dream red label Bentley would cost!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

A mere bagatelle for a girl who owns half of Kent. :) :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 09 July 2018, 12:10:36 »

I was just reading that.. turbo it is, then! ;) ;D Assuming we can find one she likes .. did find a beautiful looking car (listed on both Autotrader and Pistonheads) this morning, but called to find that it's been sold, grr.

Diesel is out because she'll do exclusively town mileage (i.e. 4 miles each way every day) so the DPF would die in short order, I'm sure.

Must admit, beside the first one (which was not a great example), I've quite enjoyed driving them!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 July 2018, 12:13:35 »

That does sound crazy, I ran my car thru the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) website.

Gives additional MPG figures & you can search for the most green /fuel efficient cars

Apparently the 3.2 Omega does not exist, or was never certified !!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 July 2018, 12:17:53 »

I was just reading that.. turbo it is, then! ;) ;D Assuming we can find one she likes .. did find a beautiful looking car (listed on both Autotrader and Pistonheads) this morning, but called to find that it's been sold, grr.

Diesel is out because she'll do exclusively town mileage (i.e. 4 miles each way every day) so the DPF would die in short order, I'm sure.

Must admit, beside the first one (which was not a great example), I've quite enjoyed driving them!

They are a great little car to drive apart from in the outside lane of the motorway  ..... they really are out of their depth, but that's not what they're bought for.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 July 2018, 12:18:38 »

Apparently the 3.2 Omega does not exist, or was never certified !!!
My '54 plod was readily identified. Inspite of being a manual and late registered ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 July 2018, 12:19:36 »

There's nowt wrong wi' a Smart Lizzie  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 09 July 2018, 12:25:25 »

They are a great little car to drive apart from in the outside lane of the motorway  ..... they really are out of their depth, but that's not what they're bought for.

Yeah, not sure I'd like to do here to her mum's in one (South Wales), although she might on occasion.. that said, I tend to go cross-country for most of that journey anyway.

But they do meet L's brief - tiny, automatic, cheap to insure, and she loves them so.. who am I to argue? ;) (if I want a quiet life..)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.