Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint problem !  (Read 1565 times)

mar892ree

• Northampton
  • if it dont undo, hit it wiv an hammer
    • View Profile
Paint problem !
« on: 10 September 2006, 20:37:30 »

Hi peeps.

OK in breif, decided to do a poxy little paint touch up yesterday and today today !
Had the extra weather strip off of the sill, and right where it terminates at the rear wheel arch, i has the smallest bubble in the piant work imaganable !

Rubbed it all down to bare metal, which resulted in 3 little pitts in the maetal, rust proofed it , filled the pitts primed it, painted it !

Trouble is NO MATTER what i do, the piant i am using seems to craze ( like hammerite ) when ever applied !
I have a few tins of Hicote in the correct color , and it sprays on to anything else OK ! ( no crazing )

I have even tried further rubbing down of the paint work, other types of primer, and even NO primer at all , paint still crazes up !
Yes i am wiping down with celulose thinners, leaving it a few hours to dry even before painting ! Tried Meths the lot , still crazes !!!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!

Is it just that Hicote is crap !

Used Hicote on my sons car, and it worked a treat , and was WELL immpressed with color match !

Cheers

Mark

Taxi_Driver

Re: Paint problem !
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2006, 06:47:07 »

Same place as mine has a rust bubble......but its not tiny  >:(

Your not applying it too thick are you?

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2006, 06:53:13 »

A trick is to imerse the spray can into very hot water, when used after that it gives a finer spray.
I like red cars

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2006, 11:39:34 »

Hi there

Did you use some kind of filla then smoothed it off only the metal surface is going to be rough when applying not only the primer but also the colour paint. And even the primer needs rubbing down before applying colour and primer.

Just my tuppence worth :)
« Last Edit: 11 September 2006, 11:40:00 by nixoro »

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2006, 15:39:29 »

sounds like the can has gone off
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

mar892ree

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2006, 17:02:59 »

Well problem solved !

I went to VX and brought some spray paint , and you get the laquer with it too !

It went on a treat, and you can apply the laquer within 30 minutes too ! 30 minuted for the laquer to dry , and then bang the weather strip back on, finished !

Brilliant color match, superb-excellent, credit where credits due, VX have surpassed themselves this time, all for just over £6 !

I now guess the other paint i was using just isnt compactable with the original finish on the car !

The VX stuff went on like butter, no surface imperfections at all !

Mark

mar892ree

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2006, 17:06:39 »

Taxi Driver, i'd get that bubble done ASAP, winter is on its way !

The water lays behind that weather strip, but i should imagine the problem starts with a little bit of water creeping in behind that stick on black tape that runs around the wheel arch !

Mine wasnt bad at all ! Looked worse than what it was, which is usually the other way round with rust on cars !

Knocked it ll back to bare metal, and had 2 or 3 tiny little pitts left in the metal ! Just popped some filler in them, as i couldnt find bodywork putty ! Rubbed it down again, primed it, painted it , laquered it and bobs ya uncle !

Mark

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2006, 18:15:36 »

Taxi Driver, i'd get that bubble done ASAP, winter is on its way !

The water lays behind that weather strip, but i should imagine the problem starts with a little bit of water creeping in behind that stick on black tape that runs around the wheel arch !

Mine wasnt bad at all ! Looked worse than what it was, which is usually the other way round with rust on cars !

Knocked it ll back to bare metal, and had 2 or 3 tiny little pitts left in the metal ! Just popped some filler in them, as i couldnt find bodywork putty ! Rubbed it down again, primed it, painted it , laquered it and bobs ya uncle !

Mark

Glad its sort m8  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mines going to vx dealer on thurs for another prob......if i remember i will ask them to look at the rust bubble.....its not 6 years old....so maybe they will agree to sort it  :) Hopefully should its about the same size i had on my back door a few months ago and they sorted that bubble out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.