Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waxoyl sprayers..  (Read 13544 times)

aaronjb

Waxoyl sprayers..
« on: 11 September 2012, 23:21:07 »

I know this has come up before, so someone will have good advice..

I want to waxoyl the kit car chassis so that no rust* can set in where the powder coat is less than perfect, and I'd like to do it this weekend so ideally something I can pick up at Halfords .. but anyway..

Are the Waxoyl high pressure sprayers any good? The pump action ones like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAMMERITE-WAXOYL-STARTER-KIT-2-5L-CLEAR-WITH-SPRAYER-/350493651203

Or is it better to use a general purpose compressor powered spray gun like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Combined-spray-gun-underseal-waxoyl-etc-sprayer-plus-coiled-hose-99p-start-NR-/251149639097 (in which case I've got one in the garage, I think)

One last question.. what's the best thing for cleaning all the equipment out? Thinners? I'm guessing it doesn't need to be anything as strong as acetone..

(*or, rather, as little rust as possible!)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Waxoyl sprayers..
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2012, 23:57:02 »

The only way to apply Waxoyl is by compressor , don't waste your time and money trying to apply it with the hand pump applicator.
I've used a gun like this ( c/w extension to get into every tight section ) for about 20 years now and it hasn't been beat yet.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schutz-Shutz-Underbody-Under-Body-Waxoil-Cavity-Wax-Stonechip-Gun-/290773438605?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item43b372908d
Keep your eye open for when Lidl sell their little €99 or £85 compressor it does the job fine . Although I have a large workshop comp. I use the little one for mobile jobs .
Clean out the gun and thin the waxoyl when neccessery with simple white spirit and if the ambient temp. is low immerse the can of waxoyl in warm to hot water prior to filling your gun cannister.
Better to do the job on a warm or hot day as it assists the waxoyl to run or spread further ,( so be quick  ;D )
I did a longer write up on how to properly apply the stuff some time ago in a reply ,if I can find it I'll copy it for you.

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2012, 00:26:54 »

Aha - good to know not to bother with the pump sprayer ;) I'll pick up a gun like the one you linked to - I have a fairly hefty compressor in the garage  :y

Thanks!

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2012, 00:29:29 »

The only way to apply Waxoyl is by compressor , don't waste your time and money trying to apply it with the hand pump applicator.
I've used a gun like this ( c/w extension to get into every tight section ) for about 20 years now and it hasn't been beat yet.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schutz-Shutz-Underbody-Under-Body-Waxoil-Cavity-Wax-Stonechip-Gun-/290773438605?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item43b372908d
Keep your eye open for when Lidl sell their little €99 or £85 compressor it does the job fine . Although I have a large workshop comp. I use the little one for mobile jobs .
Clean out the gun and thin the waxoyl when neccessery with simple white spirit and if the ambient temp. is low immerse the can of waxoyl in warm to hot water prior to filling your gun cannister.
Better to do the job on a warm or hot day as it assists the waxoyl to run or spread further ,( so be quick  ;D )
I did a longer write up on how to properly apply the stuff some time ago in a reply ,if I can find it I'll copy it for you.

Agreed  :y :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2012, 09:11:02 »

Agreed  :y :y

+1 :y :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2012, 09:21:20 »

I do have one of the Waxoyl hand pumps if you want to borrow it.

I find it fine, TBH. It helps if you stand the can in a bath of hot water to keep the product a bit less viscous. Also have the tube for spraying inside chassis sections.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2012, 09:29:44 »

Cheers Kevin - I just ordered one of the sprayers, but if that doesn't turn up in time I might take you up on that  :y

Might just give it a go on Friday as I'm off work - either that or actually make use of the Friday Goodwood Revival tickets I have and go there instead; weather depending I think :)

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2012, 09:30:04 »

I do the Trans Am with waxoil in a paraffin gun on my compressor, thinned down about 50%(ish) with white spirit. I mix it, then filter it through some stockinette into a big jam jar to remove any lumps as they will block the gun.

Works a treat, probably not as good as neat waxoil, but at least it gets everywhere. I tend to do it each year so I get a cumulative effect.

Wear a facemask if doing it in a garage as it makes a lot of vapour.

I also found it's better to buy the black waxoil as I can see where I've put it on the underneath as my car is gold and the yellow stuff doesn't show up well.

Tim

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2012, 11:24:20 »

Cheers Kevin - I just ordered one of the sprayers, but if that doesn't turn up in time I might take you up on that  :y

Might just give it a go on Friday as I'm off work - either that or actually make use of the Friday Goodwood Revival tickets I have and go there instead; weather depending I think :)
You lucky man  :y
I so wish I'd made the effort to have gone to that event before moving over here  :(

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2012, 11:33:41 »

Good tip! I'll have to find my mask  :y

I so wish I'd made the effort to have gone to that event before moving over here  :(

First time I've been to the revival - though I've done Goodwood once before - so it'll be good to see what's there :) Not getting dressed up in period gear, though; it's impossible to find for a fat git like myself! My good lady will, however, be wearing vintage stuff :)

I'll take lots of pictures to bore you all with later ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2012, 11:38:28 »

Good tip! I'll have to find my mask  :y

First time I've been to the revival - though I've done Goodwood once before - so it'll be good to see what's there :) Not getting dressed up in period gear, though; it's impossible to find for a fat git like myself! My good lady will, however, be wearing vintage stuff :)

I'll take lots of pictures to bore you all with later ;D

That'd be good :y,I've been to the festival of speed many times but not done the revival yet,maybe next year ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2012, 12:32:26 »

The Goodwood revival is great, IMHO. One of the few remaining chances to see priceless historic cars actually raced wheel to wheel like they were designed to be. :y

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 September 2012, 17:22:16 »

Coming to a lidl near you on the 17th September

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_34423.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.