Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Insulating Conservatory Roof  (Read 23158 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Insulating Conservatory Roof
« Reply #30 on: 28 November 2015, 12:47:04 »

Found something closer to what I would do, this:

As from the inside it would have plastboard etc, so look nice. Only see this view from the bedroom or right at the back of the garden.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 November 2015, 12:55:39 »

Maybe that 'puffed out' roof in the first picture has extra external insulation? Looks OK to me as well.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 November 2015, 13:10:36 »

Maybe that 'puffed out' roof in the first picture has extra external insulation? Looks OK to me as well.  :y

Probably, but surely it's not good to have insulation on the outside?  :-\

I much prefer idea of it on the "inside" with plasterboard, to really make it feel part of the house from the inside.

Covering top of the glass is purely cosmetic once have the inside sorted, to hide the insulation, hence just some UPVC plastic just to cover the glass panels. Think that should look ok  :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 November 2015, 13:34:58 »

In the olde'n days when it was cold we put a jumper on, tut ice on windows. Was a good extra pane o glass, and in tut summer we'd take us coats off. ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 November 2015, 13:36:06 »

I much prefer idea of it on the "inside" with plasterboard, to really make it feel part of the house from the inside.

Covering top of the glass is purely cosmetic once have the inside sorted, to hide the insulation, hence just some UPVC plastic just to cover the glass panels. Think that should look ok  :)

There's nothing wrong with external insulation as long as its done properly to minimise condensation.  I expect those 'puffed out' panels have a layer of insulation inside with a gap to the glass.  ;)  You could incorporate some insulation to your external cladding as well as doing the internals, it dosn't have to be one or the other as they would work together. The external insulation working to keep the cold out and the internal working to keep the heat in.  :)

External insulation is becoming quite popular on old stone buildings, where 100mm thick insulation boards are mounted on battens to the exterior walls and then rendered over with a coloured flexible acrylic render.  I see a lot of this happening in the Welsh Valleys and apparently its very effective.  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 November 2015, 13:43:26 »

There's nothing wrong with external insulation as long as its done properly to minimise condensation.  I expect those 'puffed out' panels have a layer of insulation inside with a gap to the glass.  ;)  You could incorporate some insulation to your external cladding as well as doing the internals, it dosn't have to be one or the other as they would work together. The external insulation working to keep the cold out and the internal working to keep the heat in.  :)

External insulation is becoming quite popular on old stone buildings, where 100mm thick insulation boards are mounted on battens to the exterior walls and then rendered over with a coloured flexible acrylic render.  I see a lot of this happening in the Welsh Valleys and apparently its very effective.  :y

The reason housing associations are, thermal cladding property's is they are getting a nice 'grant' from hmg, and it improves there green foot print, the same grants are available to every body who qualifies, think its done thro the carbon trust, they do all the boiler and insulation grants too.
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 November 2015, 13:47:39 »

Yes that's true bg, as I expect it would cost north of £5k to clad a terraced house and it would take a long time to pay that back from your savings.  ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 November 2015, 14:31:21 »

Good points raised there, will consider them. Would there be any weight issues having insulation on both sides? Insulation itself is nothing, but thinking of what i needs to be incased in.

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
    • Property for sale/rent Online
« Reply #38 on: 28 November 2015, 20:44:49 »

Three quarters of the roof and at least half the external walls need to be glazed or it becomes an extension.

next post
« Last Edit: 28 November 2015, 20:46:48 by baggers »

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28 November 2015, 20:46:22 »

Someone will shoot me down in flames but I think when looked into this a conservatory has to have at least a partially transparent roof or it needs planning permission.

A friend had a house sale fall though because he'd improved his conservatory and when the house was surveyed he had an "extension"  without planning permission.

Three quarters of the roof and at least half the external walls need to be glazed or it becomes an extension.

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28 November 2015, 20:50:05 »

Install an air-con system and you can use it all year round.  Cool in summer, warm in winter.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28 November 2015, 21:11:22 »

Install an air-con system and you can use it all year round.  Cool in summer, warm in winter.

After insulating may consider this, but without it I'd be pishing in the wind!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 28 November 2015, 21:14:11 »

As the house has to have a proper exterior door between house and conservatory, by law

Just been researching this, if conservatory meets certain regs. Eg double glazed roof, not polycarbinate you don't have to have an exterior door. SIL house has this, can walk freely between kitchen and large conservatory.

Yes you do, read the building regs, it has nothing to do with planing

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 28 November 2015, 21:17:14 »

As the house has to have a proper exterior door between house and conservatory, by law

Just been researching this, if conservatory meets certain regs. Eg double glazed roof, not polycarbinate you don't have to have an exterior door. SIL house has this, can walk freely between kitchen and large conservatory.

Yes you do, read the building regs, it has nothing to do with planing

Thanks.  :y

See my PM? Took some photos of my setup, think I can use 25mm kingspan?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30 November 2015, 11:39:17 »

Here you go Tunnie a company that supplies and fits those exterior roof panels.  Their ad was in the local paper.

http://www.greenspaceconservatories.co.uk/

Although they're probably the sort of 'Home Improvement' company that will send out a 'Surveyor' who will give an inflated quote and when you cough will drop it by 75%.  ::)  10 year warranty too..... If they're still around!  ;D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.