Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorway Patrol  (Read 2502 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Motorway Patrol
« on: 29 November 2015, 10:36:35 »

I watched an episode of this this morning.In part of it there was a coming together where the driver of a Toyota Hi-Ace had for some reason side swiped  a truck.Toyota was badly damaged and it didn't show what if any damage to truck,but they said the Toyota driver had no insurance so truck driver was on his own  as far as damage to his vehicle was concerned.Toyota driver was fined $450 for his driving,but nothing was done over his not having insurance :o So is motor insurance not compulsory in New Zealand? ???

Kieran

• Dorset
    • View Profile
Re: Motorway Patrol
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2015, 22:22:07 »

When I lived in New Zealand it wasn't compulsory to have insurance, which is quite wrong really as the driving standard over there is awful.

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2015, 04:47:23 »

Any driver found accountable can expect to pay some sort of compensation towards third party losses... Obviously this is means tested...

Presumably if you have decent insurance cover then this protects you against such claims and also in the event that you are hit by an uninsured party :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2015, 09:25:10 »

What happens if someone gets seriously injured and the person at fault has no insurance?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2015, 13:59:09 »

What happens if someone gets seriously injured and the person at fault has no insurance?  :-\
Either the seriously injured is insured or it goes through the NHS :-\

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2015, 14:55:34 »

Lots of inbred Maori's driving round there. If they injure you and there's no one about, they eat you.  ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2015, 15:38:21 »

Lots of inbred Maori's driving round there. If they injure you and there's no one about, they eat you.  ;D
Being insured or not becomes somewhat irrelevant in that case... ;D

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 30 November 2015, 18:28:27 by migmog »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2015, 18:42:32 »

What a quaint idea,motor insurance not needed-I wonder if it'll catch on over here :D ;D

2boxerdogs

« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2015, 05:01:16 »

What a quaint idea,motor insurance not needed-I wonder if it'll catch on over here :D ;D

According to our local paper the majority of the many Eastern Europeans settled here think it already has!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 December 2015, 08:57:08 »

Having visited earlier this year I discovered that insurance is voluntary (also in Australia) because there is 3rd party included in the Road Tax, if I remember correctly.

As for the driving... I was only in Aukland for a few days but found it not hugely different to the UK.

NZ is in a different century: http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/3304002/Southbridge-man-sentenced-for-hit-and-run and http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3305318/Victims-widow-kisses-hugs-drunk-driver
Absolutely nothing wrong with that ;)

Indeed... It is quite nice that it is a bit backwards, IMO :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2015, 13:16:07 »

In New Zealand there's no need for third party insurance to cover injuries because we already have a form of compulsory 'insurance' that covers injuries caused by a car accident. This scheme is managed by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC), and is partially funded by a levy paid as part of your motor vehicle registration fee and also by some of the tax you pay each time you fill your car with petrol. The scheme provides 'no-fault cover', meaning that any person injured as a result of an accident is covered.

However, holding insurance to cover the costs of causing damage to your own or another person's property is optional.

From: http://www.aa.co.nz/insurance/car-and-vehicle-insurance/third-party-car-insurance/third-party-insurance/

So, basically, you're always covered for third party injury but not for property damage.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 December 2015, 13:59:00 »

In New Zealand there's no need for third party insurance to cover injuries because we already have a form of compulsory 'insurance' that covers injuries caused by a car accident. This scheme is managed by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC), and is partially funded by a levy paid as part of your motor vehicle registration fee and also by some of the tax you pay each time you fill your car with petrol. The scheme provides 'no-fault cover', meaning that any person injured as a result of an accident is covered.

However, holding insurance to cover the costs of causing damage to your own or another person's property is optional.

From: http://www.aa.co.nz/insurance/car-and-vehicle-insurance/third-party-car-insurance/third-party-insurance/

So, basically, you're always covered for third party injury but not for property damage.

My memory works then!! ;D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2015, 14:00:12 »

My memory works then!! ;D

Let's not go too far, I don't think this is a statistically significant sample of events  :P ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.