Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carpentry advice  (Read 2127 times)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Carpentry advice
« on: 18 June 2017, 18:02:57 »

My son currently has one of those high sleeper beds, with loads of space underneath.
3 issues are occuring, 1 he needs a new mattress (ideally thicker than the higher sleeper will take as he is getting bigger)
second, he keeps banging his head on the ceiling
the third, he has a drum kit underneath which size is getting a little tight for.

He is in the smallest room in the house, so this has worked well up to now, but I need to change things around.
In order to fit everything in, I need a bed on the 'short' wall  This is perfectly long enough for a mattress, but you wouldnt get a divan bed in.
We could also do with storage underneath.

So the plan is to make a bed, effectively using batterns screwed to the 3 (brick and solid plaster) walls, piece of board on the top, extra leg in the middle of the 1 unsupported side.
This will maximise his floor space leaving room for chest of drawers, drum kit etc, and bed will be high enough to slide storage boxes underneath, couple of shelves on walls etc, Job Done!

Where I am stuck, is basically what materials to use.
was thinking 3x2's on the 3 sides, held on by something like these I guess : http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fsa-sleeve-anchors-silver-12-x-96mm-m10-20-pack/59188
4x2 on the open side in order to have overlap to hide the board
3 x 3x2 batterns between the long sides (parallel to short sides), with a 'table leg' style support on the centre one (room end)
then for the base board, was thinking 3/4 ply? screwed down to all the below wood.

Does this sound appropriate, if you can visualise what I mean?

Can then paint the 1 visible side to match the woodwork, chuck a mattress on, and all done and dusted.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2017, 18:05:17 by Jimbob »

Lincs Robert

Re: Carpentry advice
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2017, 18:26:28 »

Sounds good, just make sure the "open" side, the 4x2, has the 4 inch part vertical .....

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2017, 18:30:28 »

Sounds good, just make sure the "open" side, the 4x2, has the 4 inch part vertical .....

Yup, thats the plan so the board can sit behind and level with it, and not have the other batterns visible at the corners

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2017, 18:50:23 »

If a mattress will fit, a divan bed without headboard should?

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2017, 20:11:36 »

;D A bed ? when i was a lad i had to sleep on the  etc etc

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2017, 20:25:45 »

;D A bed ? when i was a lad i had to sleep on the  etc etc
On the etc etc....? Bloody luxury.......

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2017, 20:55:21 »

If the bed has a roof to keep the rain and snow off, pure indulgent luxury, they don't make yoof like they used to. ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2017, 21:14:56 »

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fsa-sleeve-anchors-silver-12-x-96mm-m10-20-pack/59188

Unless your son has a bmi of about 946, I'd say these were a wee bit overkill!  :o the problem you're likely to encounter is that drilling an M10 hole, followed by ratcheting that steel outer sleeve into it is likely to "pop" a brick, unless you hit it bang on centre (pretty hard to do blind through the plaster).

Personally I would use these.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/hammer-fixings/cat840070?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-screwsfixings-_-hammerfixings

M8 is plenty, basically drill the hole, poke the plastic outer sleeve through the wood and into the wall, then hammer the metal centre in after it.  :y I've held up ceilings with these (and hung off the framework) no bother. So that's 21stone plus the woodwork. I reckon they will probably be man to the task of supporting Jimbob Jr ;)
« Last Edit: 18 June 2017, 21:24:16 by jimmy944 »

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2017, 06:59:29 »

Ill have a nose at those, the fixings were the bit I was least sure of.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2017, 08:27:15 »

Without skirting boards, power sockets etc, it may just about squeeze in, but dont think you could manouevere it in successfully hence the build it option.
Could possibly assemble a frame bed, but they tend to have headboards.  this should be better in the long run

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 20 June 2017, 21:01:37 »

Without skirting boards, power sockets etc, it may just about squeeze in, but dont think you could manouevere it in successfully hence the build it option.
Could possibly assemble a frame bed, but they tend to have headboards.  this should be better in the long run
Hmm....couldn't you raise the level of the base to get it above the skirting? Bits of wood to act as legs? As for the socket, if it's a flush fitting, just use those kiddiproof blanks to blank it off, or remove it altogether.
Save an awful lot of work.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2017, 08:09:48 »

Its the only socket in the room, so HAS to be used.

The work has to happen, only way to get a bed, electrics, all his stuff and storage in there, its just exactly how to do it to sort out
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.