Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: driving to europe in aug  (Read 1401 times)

john1959

• birmingham
    • omega 3.2 elite black
    • View Profile
driving to europe in aug
« on: 28 June 2020, 14:19:16 »

hi everyone hope your all well.i was thinking of driving to europe for august,do you think the the old omega will make the round trip?just little lack of confidence after all this pandemic.
cheers

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: driving to europe in aug
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2020, 14:36:40 »

If its well maintained, then theres no reason why not. Sensible to carry a spare crank sensor and heater bypass valve, as they always seem to wait until the worst possible moment before giving trouble.
Not sure Europe will let you in in August though ?  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

john1959

• birmingham
    • omega 3.2 elite black
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2020, 14:40:58 »

hi mig,well hope its all open going to poland through calais then germany.had loads done on the car in last couple of years.just got a little oil leak from crank seal i think.had belt go 2 years ago and head rebuilt so everything else done just aircon not working.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2020, 14:50:47 »

No reason not to.. we did it for many years.... but think about the cost of getting home IF something does go wrong .... :(

Only reason we got rid of the Omega was I could not get European breakdown/recovery cover, that covered both the car and the tin-tent, once the car was 18 years old.

As we would have been taking the tin-tent with us, imagine if you will this scenario .....   Out for the day and 60-80 miles away from the tin-tent and disaster strikes, car breaks down (or involved in a crash) and will not drive .....  without breakdown/recovery insurance there is the problem of either getting the car fixed locally or recovering to UK, as well as trying to get back to the tin-tent and then getting that back to the UK..   :(

When I priced it up under "worst case" conditions there was the possibility of over £2000.00 to get both car, tin-tent, and us .. back to the UK.. not an acceptable risk to me.

So, if you decide to go, factor in "what if" and the costs involved, make sure you get some sort of cover if you can, and make sure you can afford the "worst case" scenario.

Absolutely no point in going on holiday and worrying all the time "what if", "whats that noise", etc etc ..

john1959

• birmingham
    • omega 3.2 elite black
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2020, 14:55:34 »

hi entwood. can get breakdown cover aa euro plus 12 quid a day and all the things you need to cover ie get car back to uk hotel car hire pretty good deal really and a grand towards any repairs. after all its an autobahnstormer so the germans say.just a long run 1100 miles

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2020, 21:08:24 »

We've driven to the French alps in the second week of December every year for the past 10 years in my Omega. And back home again the weekend before Xmas. It's around 875 miles each way. I've got proper snow tyres and snow chains, which we've had to use 3 times. Car has behaved impeccably every time - despite a pizza delivery moped running into the back of it, a French white van man reversing into the front of it, and a fuse blowing when three quarters of the way there, leaving me without speedo and fuel gauge for most of the trip.

Am hoping to go again this December, assuming this CV19 thing allows the ski resorts to open. I don't bother with breakdown cover - I take enough tools to do most maintainance that the AA/RAC can do. And if it really goes to pot Easyjet flights home from Lyon/Geneva/Grenoble are cheap enough.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2020, 21:16:27 »

As above. Unless its a really low mileage, high value example, or you have a very strong emotional attachment to the car - if it has a serious mechanical breakdown, leave it where it is and jump on a Sleasyjet.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • 2 Omega Caravans 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2020, 14:36:57 »

I have done several stints with my Omegas over the years, both of my currents ones have around 200k on the odometer.

First I do about 1000km down through Sweden and Denmark for a stay over around the Hamburg area. Then another 700 to 1000 km.
In Germany I let them fly on Autobahn and stretch their legs, remember they were built to cruise the Autobahn at 160 - 180 kph.

A previous one I had did  the same kind of trip when it had around 330k on the meter.

I keep them well maintained and have faith in them. One important thing is to have good tires if you are stretching out on Autobahn.

Enjoy your trip.
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.