Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT extensions  (Read 2445 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
MOT extensions
« on: 30 June 2020, 14:13:59 »

The MOT extension scheme appears to be ending early. So in this unjust world my cars whoe MOTs expired in April and May will be OK until September and October, my car whose MOT expires on August 15th will need a new MOT on August 16th. Can't this gevernment get anything right?

I quote:
'The changes affect any vehicle with a MOT due to expire on or after August 1. Drivers with a vehicle due an MOT before August 1 will still be granted the six-month extension but are being reminded that they must still keep their car in a roadworthy condition or face a fine and possible prosecution.What happens if I already have an exemption?

The changes affect any vehicle with a MOT due to expire on or after August 1. Drivers with a vehicle due an MOT before August 1 will still be granted the six-month extension but are being reminded that they must still keep their car in a roadworthy condition or face a fine and possible prosecution.What happens if I already have an exemption?

The changes affect any vehicle with a MOT due to expire on or after August 1. Drivers with a vehicle due an MOT before August 1 will still be granted the six-month extension but are being reminded that they must still keep their car in a roadworthy condition or face a fine and possible prosecution.What happens if I already have an exemption?

The changes affect any vehicle with a MOT due to expire on or after August 1. Drivers with a vehicle due an MOT before August 1 will still be granted the six-month extension but are being reminded that they must still keep their car in a roadworthy condition or face a fine and possible prosecution.'

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: MOT extensions
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2020, 14:35:26 »

Boo hoo. ;D

Just because you haven't had to get them tested doesn't mean that they shouldn't have been kept roadworthy.
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2020, 16:50:31 »

Have you got St Vitus Dance, Terry??? ;D ;D ;D ;D
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2020, 16:51:15 »

Two of mine are currently making use of the extension.  I'm keen to get them MOT'd as soon as I can though, as should there ever be a problem in the future, I'd sooner be working on the car in Summer months than Autumn/Winter.

It's been somewhat handy, as both were due End April.   I can now get them a month apart.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2020, 17:35:23 »

The MOT extension scheme appears to be ending early. So in this unjust world my cars whoe MOTs expired in April and May will be OK until September and October, my car whose MOT expires on August 15th will need a new MOT on August 16th. Can't this gevernment get anything right?

I quote:
'The changes affect any vehicle with a MOT due to expire on or after August 1. Drivers with a vehicle due an MOT before August 1 will still be granted the six-month extension but are being reminded that they must still keep their car in a roadworthy condition or face a fine and possible prosecution.What happens if I already have an exemption?

What is the problem with that I just do not understand what you are complaining about, whilst blaming the Government. ::) ::)

We all still have to have our motors MOT'd in usual times, ensuring if used on the road they are fit to do so.  Your MOT runs out, the garages are now open for MOT's, if they were ever shut, so you get it done. If you have an extension, lucky you, but if that runs out you do what is the normal thing.

Simples! ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2020, 18:08:32 »

I MOT'd a Smart even though the original MOT had been extended to Oct, the other Smart had an MOT due at the end of March which was extended to Nov.
I MOT'd the first when I could, but I'll leave the other as it doesn't really do many miles a year.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2020, 18:10:22 »

The MOT extension scheme appears to be ending early. So in this unjust world my cars  ....

Sorry Terry .... I can't see anything unjust.

A few of us managed to get a Brucey Bonus with an extended MOT on a select few cars

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2020, 18:13:30 »

Put another way, you've got almost seven weeks to get it ready.

Chop, chop :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2020, 18:50:54 »

I MOT'd a Smart even though the original MOT had been extended to Oct, the other Smart had an MOT due at the end of March which was extended to Nov.
I MOT'd the first when I could, but I'll leave the other as it doesn't really do many miles a year.

My lad's MOT was due in the middle of June and as he didn't want any confusion he booked it in as usual for the day before it was due to expire. Being aware of DVLA updating the online expiry date he kept an eye online, as DVLA said on their website that it should show as extended within seven days of the due date. On the day of the MOT nothing had changed online so off he went to the garage (one day before MOT expiry). He explained to the guy MOT'ing it about it not showing online as extended and the garage also checked, but just as the garage were about to start, they said "Hang on, we can't do it as it still has six months to go, and the earliest we can do it is one month early". It had updated on the system while he was in the garage so it couldn't be done.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2020, 18:56:58 »

My lad's MOT was due in the middle of June and as he didn't want any confusion he booked it in as usual for the day before it was due to expire. Being aware of DVLA updating the online expiry date he kept an eye online, as DVLA said on their website that it should show as extended within seven days of the due date. On the day of the MOT nothing had changed online so off he went to the garage (one day before MOT expiry). He explained to the guy MOT'ing it about it not showing online as extended and the garage also checked, but just as the garage were about to start, they said "Hang on, we can't do it as it still has six months to go, and the earliest we can do it is one month early". It had updated on the system while he was in the garage so it couldn't be done.  ::)

You can present a car for an MOT whenever you feel like it.  You can have it MOT'd every month, if that takes your fancy.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2020, 18:58:57 »

the MOT station could still MOT it ,but it would only have 12 months MOT
if it failed, it would have NO MOT

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 June 2020, 19:04:15 »

... "Hang on, we can't do it as it still has six months to go, and the earliest we can do it is one month early". It had updated on the system while he was in the garage so it couldn't be done.  ::)

I think the garage was a little confused. As Broomies says, you can MOT it when ever you like but you'd not get the 13 month ticket if you present it earlier than a month before the expiry date. The car I took early for MOT had had its MOT extended to Nov from mid May, the tester even commented on the fact it had MOT to Nov but tested it anyway. I presented it 27 May 2020 & its MOT now runs out 26 May 2021

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2020, 19:46:23 »

... "Hang on, we can't do it as it still has six months to go, and the earliest we can do it is one month early". It had updated on the system while he was in the garage so it couldn't be done.  ::)

I think the garage was a little confused. As Broomies says, you can MOT it when ever you like but you'd not get the 13 month ticket if you present it earlier than a month before the expiry date. The car I took early for MOT had had its MOT extended to Nov from mid May, the tester even commented on the fact it had MOT to Nov but tested it anyway. I presented it 27 May 2020 & its MOT now runs out 26 May 2021

You're all correct, they must have been confused.  :y   As his MOT was only one day early it wouldn't have made any difference to him then.  :-\
« Last Edit: 30 June 2020, 19:51:03 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2020, 20:49:26 »

Sons car MOT runs out 2nd August. No extension for him then.
This is probably a good thing. He called me up one day to say it wouldnt start and all the dash lights were on at the same time. His diagnosis was it had ran out of oil. I told himt to check it was in neutral. Didnt hear back from him for a couple of days.  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: 30 June 2020, 20:54:47 by Migv6 le Frog Fan »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2020, 12:34:51 »

Furthermore, the anticipation of MOT date to get the extra month before expiry, is not 31 days, nor even 30 days, but a month less one day. So if your MOT expires on February 28th, you must submit car for test on January 29th or later.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 July 2020, 12:54:08 »

Furthermore, the anticipation of MOT date to get the extra month before expiry, is not 31 days, nor even 30 days, but a month less one day. So if your MOT expires on February 28th, you must submit car for test on January 29th or later.

as it's always been

.... the earliest date you can present your car for MOT is printed on the MOT

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 July 2020, 07:41:27 »

as it's always been

Absolutely right. MOT certitificates have changed so much over the years that I have ceased to read them thoroughly, just checked date of expiry and list of advisory notes. I' not alone in thi failure.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 July 2020, 09:21:41 »

as it's always been

It's a purely a calender month irrespective of the number of days in that month. Sounds like this is being over complicated.....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.