Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Head gasket 3.2 v6  (Read 15904 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Head gasket 3.2 v6
« Reply #30 on: 21 June 2018, 21:21:55 »

There is also further evidence of coolant contamination into the oil, as follows:

Edit: If you've just arrived here on this old thread - there are more pics and explanation on the previous page.
« Last Edit: 21 June 2018, 21:24:22 by JamesV6CDX »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 June 2018, 21:32:30 »

Welcome back James  :)
Great work so far
I hate it when i take an engine apart and find it's been bodged together in the past  :(

did you finish the corsa ?

hope your feeling better ?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 June 2018, 21:33:54 »

Well James, firstly it's great to hear that you are being active, albeit in a moderate way. If anyone can sort this, you can.
Secondly, we have discussed your work with a camera previously and by today's evidence, you have excelled yourself; I don't think a commercial studio could have done better.
Take care James.  :) :y 8)

Ron.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 June 2018, 21:42:59 »

I should add, that, the LPG plumbing needs attention.

Currently, it's plumbed in Post-Heater-Bypass-Valve. This means, that, the vaporisor will only get a heat supply, if the heater settings in the cabin are set to HI.

If the heater is set to of, or cool, the LPG evaporator won't get enough coolant and thus the LPG won't work properly.

Ideal time to rectify and re plub that while it's apart and access is good. I also plan to replace the LPG vapour hoses - I think I have some in the garage, and the current ones are quite brittle.

Aside of the Evaporator plumbing, (an easy mistake for someone that doesn't know this V6 too well, so far it does look like quite a tidy install :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 June 2018, 21:44:48 »

did you finish the corsa ?

hope your feeling better ?

Cheers,  The progress is slow, but my physio is keen for me to keep doing car bits even if it's just very short amounts - just to keep things moving.

Corsa wise, yep, got it running a treat, just haven't felt like posting for a while. I'll update that thread separately with a few pictures in the near future

Kind regards,
James

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 June 2018, 22:07:47 »

Must say I was overwhelmed by James kind offer and feel ‘one of the lucky ones ‘
especially as I’m pretty new here!  I was impressed when I read about his past
work and by what I’ve seen so far he seems very capable and thorough.
to be honest I’m pretty excited now by all these faults that he’s finding as
of course the more he finds the better it will be when it’s done
« Last Edit: 21 June 2018, 22:23:08 by Raeturbo »
Laying a rubber road.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 June 2018, 12:02:53 »

Just to add - I can’t easily photograph it, but, you can see coolant in most of the cylinders by looking down the spark plug holes.

When turning the engine over for a compression test, you can see it spraying out of the plug holes:

https://youtu.be/-ZAvMJ0ZEk0

OR

Www.jamesv6cdx.co.uk/Rae/video.MOV

If this were a cracked head, I can’t see that water would be able to get into nearly all of the pots on both banks.

That would be a lot of cracks and too many co-incodences.

My money is on the fact it’s got so hot it’s cooked to the point that it’s warped both heads.

Rare I know but, it’s an ally head on a steel block, if it’s driven for long enough without coolant, it’s not indestructible.

The only way I can see coolant getting into that many cylinders before loosening head bolts, is from the water jacket to the pots, via head gasket / warpage.

Hopefully I will be able to save it :y
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 12:04:48 by JamesV6CDX »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 June 2018, 16:25:22 »

Lots of components removed yesterday as part of the stripdown.

Started with the Auxiliary belt, which looks in good nick

I did however notice after this, that the wire for the 1-3-5 knock sensor has been incorrectly routed in the past. This one comes out by the alternator - which has caused it to chafe on the auxiliary belt tensioner pully.

It should really between the aux tensioner and the rear cambelt cover to prevent it going near any belts. But never mind, it's easy to get at with the amount being stripped, and I might even have a spare.

Next step, removal of the front cable tray, and the crank, water pump, and power steering pulleys:

And then the aux belt tensioner, with pulley still attached. This needs taking apart and greasing, as it runs very freely - which I shall do.

Off with the outer cambelt cover:

To expose the cambelt set up

A quick check of the valve timing shows it to be a little out, but nothing to get excited about and nothing that would be contributing to this engine's problems

Engine now set to 60deg BTDC so the pistons are all in a safe position. Then, removal of the cambelt kit:

Leaves us looking like this:

Off with the 4 x camshaft toothed pulleys:

And the rear, metal cambelt cover

To leave us looking like this:

All 4 camshafts removed, along with their respective bearing shells

Leaving the engine looking as follows:

Now the 24 x hydraulic valve followers:

Leaving the engine bay looking like:

I decided at this point, to raise the car and drop the downpipes off. Made sense in my head, beacuse I didn't want to lye underneith it after I'd removed the water pump and piddled the coolant all over the ground ::)

Three of the downpipe-to-manifold nuts came away without any drama using a series of extension bars and a breaker bar, after a soak in some plusgas.

The fourth one, however, didn't play. The socket slipped over the nut, resulting in the breaker bar smashing me in the face, and waking up today with a shiner ;D

Anyhow, it was nothing that my faithful irwin socket and a lump hammer couldn't sort out, so the exhaust is now off. No pictures of this, didn't want to take my phone under the car just in case!

Next step was removal of the water pump for inspection. It's fine, the impellor turns with the spindle with no play or leaks or roughness.

It looks new, and will probably get reused, hence the block of wood used to knock it off via the body of the pump, and not the spindle:

The red sealant around the pump wasn't needed, but, equally wasn't doing any harm.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 June 2018, 16:25:50 »

Now off with the inlet divider between the two heads:

Giving us a good look into the "V" of the engine:

B@stid bolt removed, and thermostat link pipe taken out. Managed to get it out in one peice, though you may notice there is some corrosoion damage to the end of it near where the first O ring sits.

Thermostat off:

This stat is pretty new. I will test it in a pan just in case it was the cause of the problem, but, I'm pretty sure it will be able to be re used with a new O ring.

Here we remove the rear breather box hose. I say remove, it was so brittle, it fell apart in my hands, and is gunged up. I'll replace this, along with the obvious full breather clean out:

And here is the purge valve, to the carbon canister, removed and in the boot:

I Removed the coolant bridge, bolts, and associated pipework incl HBV, but forgot to picture that.

Now, ready to start lifing off the heads.

The 2-4-6 head is the best one to remove first.

So, undoing the bolts on the 2-4-6 head:

My preference, once the head bolts are loose, is, to sit facing the engine, resting my feet on the anti-roll bar, lift off the head, and place it on some carpet or similar over on the drivers side.

Like so:

Leaving the block looking something like:

Now that head is off, and out of the way, it's much easier to get access to the bolts holding in the big metal coolant pipe that runs over the 1-3-5 cylinder head.

here is this pipe, out of the way. Rather than undoing hoses I just took the header tank with it:

Engine bay looking quite bare now. Worth noting, the fuel pipes had been covered and tucked away under the header tank, so were only momentarily exposed:

And now we are ready to lift the 1-3-5 head off. You'll note, these cylinders were all full of water, too:

Here are shots of both sides of each of the head gaskets:

Here is the underside of both heads:

A rather empty looking engine bay:

And a boot full of parts!

I'm about to go out and oil spray / wrap up the cams etc in cling film to prevent any rust while I'm away for a few days.

Next step is to remove the manifolds and check the heads with a straight edge and some feeler blades.

I may or may not get chance to do that today

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 June 2018, 16:36:21 »

Lovely job as usual James. :y Is it OK to skim these heads if not too badly warped? :-\

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24 June 2018, 16:42:19 »

Lovely job as usual James. :y Is it OK to skim these heads if not too badly warped? :-\

Generally yes, but, it can cause issues with making the bolt holes on the inlet divider no longer line up properly.

Don't ask me how I know  ::)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24 June 2018, 16:48:36 »

Wow, that looks a hell of a lot of work! I thought you weren’t  well?  Wish I could do that even when I’m in tip top condition. Can’t thank you enough for your efforts James, but I’m going to try :)
Laying a rubber road.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24 June 2018, 16:52:57 »

Wow, that looks a hell of a lot of work! I thought you weren’t  well?

It was a few hours work, with breaks, which is my limit. I wouldn't be able to do that again, for another fair few days, and will suffer for it - whereas before my injuries, I could have done it for 12 hours a day, every day.

Have to be positive, though, being able to do that now and again, is a much better outcome than not at all :y

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 24 June 2018, 16:58:29 »

I’d be well happy with that performance mate!
Laying a rubber road.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24 June 2018, 17:39:05 »

Generally yes, but, it can cause issues with making the bolt holes on the inlet divider no longer line up properly.

Don't ask me how I know  ::)

;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.