Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Project MV6  (Read 10952 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Project MV6
« on: 16 February 2017, 22:43:12 »

Finally got myself sorted a week ago ready to start driving the project and the battery had gone flat >:(

I didn't want to leave a charger under the bonnet with an extension lead back to the house so I went to extract the battery so I could charge it. First thing I found was that the retaining bolt was pretty well rusted in - it did come out though with penetrating oil and persistance  :)

Second thing I found was this.

I think this car is going to be a little more trouble than I anticipated :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Project MV6
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2017, 22:52:08 »

Today I managed to find time to refit the battery.

While fitting it I realised that some of the threads have been stripped in the inlet manifold..

and I still haven't driven it..............

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2017, 23:02:31 »

Some nice white crystals there :)

Stripped threads?  Main dealer serviced no doubt  :( :(
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2017, 23:38:57 »

The plenum came off when we did a few jobs. We noticed a generic bolt had been used in place of one of the plenum bolts. But everything torqued up fine so I assumed previous keeper / mechanic had simply lost one. Are you assuming it's stripped from looking, or are you unable to tighten it?

I can't see the pic too well on my phone, but are you referring to corrosion around the battery? If so, Don't forget the car is 15 years old, who knows how old the battery is. This doesn't in any way mean the car will be trouble, and isn't unusual on a car of this age.

If she gives you serious trouble above and beyond any other old £700 Omega, I would be amazed. She did the 200+ miles back from rog's, and another 200 to you, smooth as silk, and went like it'd been stung. As stated at the time, I was so happy driving it that I offered to go back on the deal and turn around and drive back from Cornwall to Buckinghamshire at my expense if you weren't happy :y
« Last Edit: 16 February 2017, 23:40:32 by JamesV6CDX »

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2017, 07:50:33 »

The crystals washed off easily enough using boiling water.

Before I refitted the battery I removed the scuttle to see what state the power sounder was in. It looked OK but it hadn't made a sound when I removed the battery so I liberated it as I assume it was ready to self combust.

When I took the scuttle off there was a lonely 6mm machine screw lying in it - I went looking for where it had come from and noticed that three screws were missing from the edge of the inlet manifold and one screw from a cam bearing cap. The first hole I tried was for one of the cable tray brackets and that one is definitely stripped. The second one I tried was for the bracket supporting the hoses to the aux heater pump - that one held. I haven't tried the other holes yet.

The windscreen trim came away with the scuttle and the foam under the scuttle was saturated with water. I managed to clean and re-attach the windscreen trim, apart from the last inch at the drivers end so I expect that the foam should dry out again now. I just hope that the coils haven't been damaged by water again :-\

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2017, 07:59:23 »

The plenum came off when we did a few jobs. We noticed a generic bolt had been used in place of one of the plenum bolts. But everything torqued up fine so I assumed previous keeper / mechanic had simply lost one. Are you assuming it's stripped from looking, or are you unable to tighten it?

I can't see the pic too well on my phone, but are you referring to corrosion around the battery? If so, Don't forget the car is 15 years old, who knows how old the battery is. This doesn't in any way mean the car will be trouble, and isn't unusual on a car of this age.

If she gives you serious trouble above and beyond any other old £700 Omega, I would be amazed. She did the 200+ miles back from rog's, and another 200 to you, smooth as silk, and went like it'd been stung. As stated at the time, I was so happy driving it that I offered to go back on the deal and turn around and drive back from Cornwall to Buckinghamshire at my expense if you weren't happy :y
James
Don't take this thread as a dig at you - I considered buying this car direct from Rog but it was too much of a gamble for me to travel to Wales in the hope that I could could get it running. You took that gamble and put a years MOT on it and delivered it.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2017, 17:13:08 »

Fitted a new washer to the drivers door stay to stop the 'click of death'. It will do for now but I really do need to do a bit of welding to hold the plate in place.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2017, 23:23:17 »

Big thanks to Joff for letting me have an immaculate looking load cover :y

The load cover fits fine but I seem to be missing some pieces from the runners :-\

Never having seen another Omega estate I am now wondering what pieces I need to complete the jigsaw :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2017, 23:30:07 »

Yes, there's two plastic 'in-fill' pieces that go in those spaces - the spaces allow you to remove the cover if needed (though i'm sure you sussed that when you fitted it!)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2017, 23:30:27 »

Your missing two parts, one each side... basically you slide the cover forward and insert the, er, inserts...

To close the cover, simply pull the handle back towards the opening until it latches into the rearmost slot. To remove completely, simply slide the front roller (nearest the seat)all the way to the back. You then end up with all the rollers in the inserts. To lift it out simply give it a tug as a bundle up and towards you... whole lot then lifts away. Refitting is the reverse of removal, yardyyardyyah :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2017, 08:55:37 »

Fitted a new washer to the drivers door stay to stop the 'click of death'. It will do for now but I really do need to do a bit of welding to hold the plate in place.

I always meant to get that done, lazy/tight git that I am  ::)

It's a bit strange seeing my old car here  ???  but great to see it in caring hands  :y
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2017, 09:45:08 »

The load cover fits fine but I seem to be missing some pieces from the runners :-\

The two end pieces that you are missing also hold the load cover in a 'compressed' state for easy removal. As said, you normally slide the load cover rearward until it clicks in to the missing parts. Little red tabs pop out and lock the runner rollers all together for easy removal. You then pull rearward and tilt the front of the missing part up to remove. The load cover then comes out with all of the rollers held tight in the missing parts.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2017, 10:33:39 »

Just took a couple of pics of mine.

Load cover in situ

Load cover removed but held in retainer.

Load cover locking tab for easy removal. The red tab was on the earlier load cover, not on the facelift, my mistake.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2017, 12:18:31 »

Depending on how fussy you are, they have two different textures to match the early smooth, and later textured leather trims. It's not a big difference, and doesn't matter for a piece of trim in the boot.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2017, 18:11:00 »

Just took a couple of pics of mine.

Load cover in situ

Load cover removed but held in retainer.

Load cover locking tab for easy removal. The red tab was on the earlier load cover, not on the facelift, my mistake.

LOL, in all the years I had mine, I never knew that was the way to remove the load cover  ::) You learn summat new everyday  :y
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.