Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Tower block fire  (Read 31385 times)

STEMO

Re: Tower block fire
« Reply #105 on: 17 June 2017, 20:29:54 »

There are some very bitter folk about.  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 18 June 2017, 09:45:41 »

Now the experts and observers are stating the cladding used in this tower block is banned in most European countries, along with the USA.  It is even suspected it is actually banned here in the UK!! :o :o

Heads are going to roll >:(

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 18 June 2017, 11:27:28 »

Now the experts and observers are stating the cladding used in this tower block is banned in most European countries, along with the USA.  It is even suspected it is actually banned here in the UK!! :o :o

agreed, heads should roll.  what we don't know is whether the cladding material met English regs (note that Scotland, Wales and NI have devolved control on building regs) in which case Regs should change OR

The cladding did not meet regs, the Council in their role as building control knew that it did not meet regs but did not enforce. (whilst building control can be passed to private companies, Enforcement powers rest with the Council...)

there seems to be a presumption that Regs are not sufficient but it could be that that are and work was not carried out to a sufficient standard. 
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 18 June 2017, 11:38:50 »

agreed, heads should roll.  what we don't know is whether the cladding material met English regs (note that Scotland, Wales and NI have devolved control on building regs) in which case Regs should change OR

The cladding did not meet regs, the Council in their role as building control knew that it did not meet regs but did not enforce. (whilst building control can be passed to private companies, Enforcement powers rest with the Council...)

there seems to be a presumption that Regs are not sufficient but it could be that that are and work was not carried out to a sufficient standard.

Or did they meet regs when fitted but now the regs have changed?
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 18 June 2017, 16:54:50 »

Any mention yet of the temperature of the fire?
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 18 June 2017, 17:20:18 »

That is what the experts in that field are saying, plus the outstanding question about how they were fitted, with fire breaks or not.  It will all come out in the inquires to come ;)
Be careful with "experts" that the media bring in. They bring in "experts" who are controversial, and say what that media outlet want, in order to keep a story alive.

They might be right, they might be wrong. Either way, they can't be trusted. So lets wait for the fire investigation report, and any other enquiries :)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 18 June 2017, 17:36:25 »

You are over generalizing and working on stereotypical images of "benefit families".  Some are of course like that, but most are a lot of genuinely hard up people out there who through no fault of their own are going through very hard times and do need much help. 
All the "survivors" being interviewed on the day, did you not notice, they'd managed to get out of the building and picked up their large smartphones, even if not their relatives/neighbours....

When I used to do a lot more egay (before all the prats came online), I used to go out at lunchtime to the Postoffice to post all the stuff.  I work in Bletchley, now a suburb of Milton Keynes.  Bletchley has a lot of poor families, and is generally quite run down (like many areas, though, with areas of normality, and areas of more affluence...  ...but the majority is poor). Anyway, back to the Postoffice - they had their clientele nailed.  Every single time I was in there, suck behind the teenage mum collecting her giro, while her 3 or more kids are running riot around the shop area.  So she'd collect the giro, but the shop had the intelligence to sell fags and lotto, so she'd blow £15 on 60 fags, and the same again of lotto tickets and scratchcards.  No wonder the little baskets that had by now wrecked the joint were unable to afford clothes that weren't full of holes, or last saw a washing machine the day they were bought.

Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #112 on: 18 June 2017, 19:13:11 »

Just on the news: survivors can get £500 in cash straight away, and £5000 paid into their bank accounts on Monday. This money is not for accommodation costs or fuel costs etc.
Imagine going to sign on at the benefit office on Tuesday. Hello, Mr Smith, we understand you've had a bit of a windfall. Fill in this form, there's a good chap.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 18 June 2017, 19:27:50 »

Just on the news: survivors can get £500 in cash straight away, and £5000 paid into their bank accounts on Monday. This money is not for accommodation costs or fuel costs etc.
Imagine going to sign on at the benefit office on Tuesday. Hello, Mr Smith, we understand you've had a bit of a windfall. Fill in this form, there's a good chap.
>:(

Would the government have given me £550 if I'd lost the house?  No bloody chance  >:(  >:(  >:(
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #114 on: 18 June 2017, 19:29:48 »

Would the government have given me £550 if I'd lost the house?  No bloody chance  >:(  >:(  >:(
That's £5500. Does that improve things for you?  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 18 June 2017, 19:40:47 »

That's £5500. Does that improve things for you?  ;D
NO  >:(

See, the anger of it meant I couldn't even type a single figure ;D
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 18 June 2017, 20:04:38 »

Would the government have given me £550 if I'd lost the house?  No bloody chance  >:( >:( >:(

That's because you've proved you can't wreck the entire property. Ensure that you have an old fridge in the garage for a better result next time ;)

STEMO

« Reply #117 on: 18 June 2017, 20:06:06 »

Would the government have given me £550 if I'd lost the house?  No bloody chance  >:( >:( >:(

That's because you've proved you can't wreck the entire property. Ensure that you have an old fridge in the garage for a better result next time ;)
'Twas a bleddy good effort, though.  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 18 June 2017, 20:21:04 »

That is what the experts in that field are saying, plus the outstanding question about how they were fitted, with fire breaks or not.  It will all come out in the inquires to come ;)
Be careful with "experts" that the media bring in. They bring in "experts" who are controversial, and say what that media outlet want, in order to keep a story alive.

They might be right, they might be wrong. Either way, they can't be trusted. So lets wait for the fire investigation report, and any other enquiries :)

This morning it included an MP who believes this particular cladding is banned in the UK as it is elsewhere, and was not signed off by the local authority. ;)

But as you say TB, it will all come out in due course.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 18 June 2017, 20:29:35 »

OK TB, swap places with one of those tenants who have lost everything, had their families put at risk, even losing a member or two. Is £5,000 a lot of money then?

The contents of my flat alone I insure for up to £50K, as £5,000 would only just about cover the cost of furnishing and re-equipping the front room  ::) ::)

I feel no anger about what these poor sods get, who were failed miserably by the people who were responsible for the refurbishment, and only feel very sad that they have had to go through such an ordeal. :'( :'(  Let the government pay them the money, then reclaim it back from the contractors as they are found guilty of gross negligence and manslaughter.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.