Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best price for air conditioning re-gas?  (Read 9200 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Best price for air conditioning re-gas?
« Reply #15 on: 20 June 2017, 13:28:35 »

Stick to actuaryism...or whatever it is you do  :P  ;D

I'm a jumped-up bean counter, or at least that's what it says on my business cards :P. I prefer to think of myself as in the pre-retirement phase of life.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 June 2017, 14:08:20 »

If your passing the centre of brum, theres a guy under the arches by the blues ground who does it for £35.

Had mine done by a mobile guy twice and it seemed to last 3 months.(£50)

Seen the chap under the arches and its still working 14 months later.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 June 2017, 14:14:22 »

Interesting, I didn't realise that, although now you say it, it is the obvious way around, other wise the machine would have to let the pressure out, add the cooling stuff (technical term!) and then pressurise again.

It pulls and holds a VAC to dry the system, under a vacuum water boils at ambient temperatures

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 June 2017, 14:25:00 »

Clearly, if the system is under pressure a leak can be readily detected, but how can the same be said if the system is evacuated: there surely wouldn't ne any visible signs?

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 June 2017, 14:35:05 »

Clearly, if the system is under pressure a leak can be readily detected, but how can the same be said if the system is evacuated: there surely wouldn't ne any visible signs?

Ron.
It won't hold a vacuum ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 June 2017, 15:07:11 »

Ron.

You are actually very correct, it is a very flawed method of testing for leaks. Under vacuum the stresses the pressures on the system are the reverse of that which it sees when operating and only a fraction of what they would be under normal operating pressures (particularly on the high side).

To do it correctly you fill with a dry Nitrogen charge but, this clearly takes time and cash so is skipped at the risk of it leaking again.

What it will find is total failures of say the condenser, it wont identify weak seals or valves.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 June 2017, 15:45:04 »

£30 inc. vat at my garage....

That said you get me doing it. Swings n roundabouts I suppose 😂😂😂
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 June 2017, 15:45:18 »

Although, valve leaks are readily identified by staining/residue or hissing when the cap is removed...
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 20 June 2017, 15:52:31 »

Fu kin ell. You should give them 30 quid.  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 June 2017, 16:14:29 »

Where do you work Webby? My office is in Rushden (when I'm there) so not far from Northants :).

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 June 2017, 17:24:39 »

Where do you work Webby? My office is in Rushden (when I'm there) so not far from Northants :).

Moulton park mate. Ask for Steve. 😀😀😀 samefor all you guys 👍
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 June 2017, 17:31:26 »

Air con is good in my car. :y Cooled seats are pathetic. :-[
I love mine.  They won't exactly give you frostbite on yer dingly danglies, but stop that horrible dampness from stupid leather seats in hot weather.  I find it uncomfortable - not freezing - to have on max setting for too long, I'm more of a minimum setting man, though driving back from Malvern on Sat, it was set to 2 most of the way.

Assuming the XF is the same, it uses ambient air that's blown through, so if you have the floor temps set high, it ain't gonna chill much.
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 June 2017, 17:41:25 »

Ron.

You are actually very correct, it is a very flawed method of testing for leaks. Under vacuum the stresses the pressures on the system are the reverse of that which it sees when operating and only a fraction of what they would be under normal operating pressures (particularly on the high side).

To do it correctly you fill with a dry Nitrogen charge but, this clearly takes time and cash so is skipped at the risk of it leaking again.

What it will find is total failures of say the condenser, it wont identify weak seals or valves.

I used a mobile guy a couple of times.....he never used a machine as per garages do....all by hand with pressure gauges hanging off the bonnet.....he also used nitrogen  :y
Unfortunately for me both times he found a leak in the condenser. Around £300 bill both times, but it was fixed first time  ;)
Well actually second time....as he had order the condenser and then come back to finish the job  ;D

I think he told me if it wasn't leaking and just needed a recharge....he charged £70.....so you pays yer money....and take a chance.....
« Last Edit: 20 June 2017, 17:50:53 by TD »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 June 2017, 17:50:36 »

My Omega had a new condenser and regas less than a year ago, but the A/C definitely isn't as cold as it should be.
My thoughts are that either it didn't have enough gas put in or has a leak. Probably a valve.
I'm thinking I might buy a UV torch, something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-UV-Black-Light-Torch-Ultra-Violet-Gas-Leak-Forensic-Blood-Urine-Detector-/321855415856?hash=item4af013e630:g:5KEAAOSwqBJXWE60 to check for leaks, and proceed from there.
I have a mate who will do the regas for around £25, but hes a bit hard to get hold of.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 June 2017, 17:58:10 »

My Omega had a new condenser and regas less than a year ago, but the A/C definitely isn't as cold as it should be.
My thoughts are that either it didn't have enough gas put in or has a leak. Probably a valve.
I'm thinking I might buy a UV torch, something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-UV-Black-Light-Torch-Ultra-Violet-Gas-Leak-Forensic-Blood-Urine-Detector-/321855415856?hash=item4af013e630:g:5KEAAOSwqBJXWE60 to check for leaks, and proceed from there.
I have a mate who will do the regas for around £25, but hes a bit hard to get hold of.

Probably too late for a UV torch.....if dye was put in it to start with.....as if you've driven it in rain most likely the dye has been washed off....unless a high up leak  :-\
I would invest in a thermometer that you shove down the air vents.....to check temp.....should be around 5/6C inside the air vents....if it is that temp....then I would suspect the pollen filter.....they get clogged and restrict airflow.....could just be you haven't enough airflow entering the cabin  :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.