Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre load rating  (Read 3868 times)

flymofred

• nr. Tunbridge Wells (Royal)
    • (53) 2.6 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Tyre load rating
« on: 20 June 2017, 16:44:59 »

I've got a 2.6 elite Estate one of the rear tyres needs replacing. Whilst thank goodness the tyre sizes are the same the load ratings are different. One being 97W Extra Load the other 94y. Does anyone know what the correct loads rating should. Personally I don't think I need an Extra Load. rating as I'm not an antiques dealer. Thanks martinH

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre load rating
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2017, 17:25:24 »

But the estate (and the saloon) is a big heavy barge so you may find you do need XL.
I don't know exactly where you'll find it but try looking on the petrol cap or in one of the door shuts for a listing of what tyre sizes need which pressure and if you're lucky it will list speed and load rating. Failing that try looking in the handbook :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2017, 17:27:12 »

97W...

Antiques dealer or not, the tyres should match the ability of the car ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2017, 18:12:31 »

97W every time.

On all my V6's I have had those fitted even if it has meant changing all 4 tyres because they are 'not to standard', although almost brand new.

As said, our cars are heavy beasts and require the best, high rated tyres, you can have fitted. :y

Oh no, ..just realised I have participated in yet another tyre thread...........this will go on and on, and on...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2017, 19:12:23 »

When I've gone to the tyre place they stick on 97W's without asking.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2017, 19:36:20 »

Those letters ae speed ratings, not load ratings, and refer to the maximum speed at which the tyres are safe. They go from N - 87mpg, R - 105mph, V - 140mph, W - 168mph to Y - 186mph. Some say tyres should be fit for the maximum speed the car can do, but I reckon a R reg tyre should suffice on an Omega unless the owner plans to tour in Germany. 

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2017, 20:23:52 »

Those letters ae speed ratings, not load ratings, and refer to the maximum speed at which the tyres are safe. They go from N - 87mpg, R - 105mph, V - 140mph, W - 168mph to Y - 186mph. Some say tyres should be fit for the maximum speed the car can do, but I reckon a R reg tyre should suffice on an Omega unless the owner plans to tour in Germany.

You missed out several speed ratings.
The law says that the speed rating should match the car's top speed.
And I doubt that you can even buy R-rated tyres in the sizes that most Omegas need - even the budget 235/45 17s on mine are W-rated, as are the similar 195/50 15s on mum's Focus.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2017, 21:04:53 »

The official spec is a load rating of 93 or higher.

As for speed rating, you have to match or exceed what the manufacturer states.  For the V6, this is W, Y or Z.  For non V6, its V. 

Using a lower rating (speed or load) is not permitted, no matter how you drive.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2017, 21:11:24 »

I merely quoted some of the speed ratings as examples. My point was that they refer to speed, not load. I presume the heavier the load the higher the inflation pressure.

I was aware of the principle that the speed rating should exceed the car's maximum speed, but having owned Senator 24valves and Omega 3.2s I have never suffered an MOT failure because the tyres had inadequate speed ratings, and doubt they ever check. I am preparing my 3.2 for MOT at the moment, it's tempting to find out.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2017, 21:19:18 »

I merely quoted some of the speed ratings as examples. My point was that they refer to speed, not load. I presume the heavier the load the higher the inflation pressure.

I was aware of the principle that the speed rating should exceed the car's maximum speed, but having owned Senator 24valves and Omega 3.2s I have never suffered an MOT failure because the tyres had inadequate speed ratings, and doubt they ever check. I am preparing my 3.2 for MOT at the moment, it's tempting to find out.
I don't think its checked at MOT.  Remember, an MOT is not a guarantee of road worthiness.

I've owned cars that have specified tyres way over the car's maximum speed.  Its not that clear cut, and has been carefully calculated by the manufacturer.

Its also very, very likely that you will have to declare it to your insurance company, as you have reduced the specification of a critical safety component.  That's assuming they will still insure you.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 June 2017, 22:18:32 »

It would seem irrational to fail a car at MOT just because its tyres are not 140mph rated when the national speed limit is 70mph. The driver's handbook lists the speed code letters, and observes that when on winter tyres with a speed rating lower than the vehicle' maximum speed 'a notice indicating the maximum permissible speed must be affixed within the driver's field of vision'. I am sure all members do this.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2017, 09:39:40 »

It's not an MOT failure, but it is an SVA/IVA failure. Plenty of Japanese imports fail their import SVA/IVA tests because the tyres are the wrong speed or load ratings. Daft, but "rulez is rulez". 

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 21 June 2017, 10:19:57 »

The wife's captur, hardly a heavy car, comes out of the factory with XL Michelin's on it, and they should be replaced with XL's, according to Renault.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2017, 10:34:58 »

Heavy it may not be, but tall it is, which has more of an effect on the sidewall loadings ;)

You're right about the weight though... less than 1,200 kgs :o I would try not to crash it...

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 June 2017, 16:10:23 »

mine say 800kg 215/65R15 max 49 psi on rear told they people carrier tyres. but stick to the road well.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 June 2017, 16:38:06 »

mine say 800kg 215/65R15 max 49 psi on rear told they people carrier tyres. but stick to the road well.
Wrong size surely  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 June 2017, 16:53:58 »

Chazza you have a 2.0?

X20XE = 195/65 R 15
X20SE = 205/65 R 15

215/65 not officially the right tyre size, ones you have are a tad wide.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 June 2017, 17:11:03 »

It would seem irrational to fail a car at MOT just because its tyres are not 140mph rated when the national speed limit is 70mph.
As said, don't believe its checked at MOT.

However, the engineers who specified this have gone to great lengths, as its not just as simple as "its a 115mph car, so T rating will do".  Check many sub 118mph cars, you will find they are specified with H or even V rated tyres - my 115mph Rover 25 actually specified V rated, even though it stood no chance of even getting to limits of T rated, let alone H, on pure speed alone.

Again, back to the Rover 25, when I wrote it off, the tyres were checked by the assessor (or in this case I think it was actually the salvage place, as no doubt it was a write-off) for tread depth, tyre size, speed and load ratings, amongst may other things...  ...admittedly, this was a few days before one of the other driver's insurance finally agreed full fault, so my insurance were probably going through the motions of getting out of paying ;D.  Given the questions I was asked, and some of the documents I had to provide, I now make sure I'm sqeaky clean on declaring any mods to insurance companies.

When the assessor came round to assess the bike after it was destroyed in the garage explosion, he showed me what he had to fill out (along with a comment along the lines of "how the hell I'm I going to do this" - there was next to nothing left of the bike, I'd pulled out the front forks, then chain sprockets, the crankshaft and the petrol tank, which was about all that remained), and that had pre-printed on it the tyre sizes (amongst other stuff like Alarm: No etc). Don't recall if that had speed ratings etc on the form though.

But fact remains, the manufacturers spec it for a reason, and if you decide not to obey, you do need to inform your insurance.  The V rated tyres on the Rover 25 were a couple of quid more expensive than the H rated ones of same size, but ultimately I'm glad I always paid the little bit extra, as I'm utterly convinced my insurance company would have used that to not pay out.
Grumpy old man

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 June 2017, 17:33:08 »

might be wrong size but fit and work well, according to receipts size has been put on since sep 1999. they only on the back 195 on front. give some good grip in bad weather. according to the wheel chart its the max size. and been change twice. last recite was jan last year before i had the car. goes round corners great. 

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 June 2017, 19:04:15 »

Yes just about the first [if not the absolute first]thing insurance assessors check for in the event of an accident/claim are the tyres,and if they can wriggle out of paying they most certainly will do.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 June 2017, 19:34:46 »

i just rang my insurance as they 24hrs, and they said that my tyres are fine, the check is just to see that there is tyre tread and uneven wear on the tyres, if the braking system works on the mot and the tyres are fit for road then the tyres are fine. tracking is the main problem and that has to be checked as it does not come under the mot. tracking that is out can change the out come of an accident and this has to be taken to account. its the owner/drivers responsibility to have the tracking checked. also said my vehicle has not been in an accident or made a claim on my reg number. so i dont know could it just be some other companies ?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 June 2017, 19:58:05 »

Insurance can say what they like, but the size fitted is not factory spec.  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 June 2017, 20:56:42 »

i just rang my insurance as they 24hrs, and they said that my tyres are fine, the check is just to see that there is tyre tread and uneven wear on the tyres, if the braking system works on the mot and the tyres are fit for road then the tyres are fine. tracking is the main problem and that has to be checked as it does not come under the mot. tracking that is out can change the out come of an accident and this has to be taken to account. its the owner/drivers responsibility to have the tracking checked. also said my vehicle has not been in an accident or made a claim on my reg number. so i dont know could it just be some other companies ?
Get that in writing, unless you have official declared it, and its on your policy schedule, else its an easy get-out clause for them :y
Grumpy old man

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 June 2017, 21:38:36 »

ive been looking in the receipts and it has a speedometer check sep 1999 as well speedo is reading 30mph actual speed is 28 mph and checked at 70 mph 68 mph. says dvla payment £34.99. so does that mean its been checked ? I have loads of receipts and garage bills clutch changed in 2011 some cannot read as faded, sensors replaced timing belt, ( did that two weeks back) but was replaced in 2012. oil changes, manifold/cat etc not seeing head gasket, water pump that has 4 of them. dont think they all here but most things are. bushes drop links rubbers on and on. really looked after the vehicle. they all start from 1999 so think he must of bought it then.       

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 June 2017, 21:56:16 »

...... and a Cadillac Catera has lower speed rated tyres than an Omega. Michelin say it's because America generally drive a slower speeds. Same(ish) cars two different speed ratings.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 June 2017, 22:34:30 »

...... and a Cadillac Catera has lower speed rated tyres than an Omega. Michelin say it's because America generally drive a slower speeds. Same(ish) cars two different speed ratings.

And totally different laws.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 June 2017, 22:41:16 »

....l

Irrelevant really.

The cars are the same

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 June 2017, 22:46:38 »

....l

Irrelevant really.

The cars are the same
Actually they aren't quite ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 June 2017, 22:48:43 »

....l

Irrelevant really.

The cars are the same
Actually they aren't quite ::)
:P  :P :P different badges .....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 June 2017, 23:03:03 »

There are slight structural differences, and actually the Catera is heavier.

Point is there are 50 states in the US and they all have varying ideas on all sorts of things. Here, in the UK, where the Ops car is, has very clear regulations wrt tyre fitment.

No point trying to argue anything different  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21 June 2017, 23:18:51 »

There are slight structural differences, and actually the Catera is heavier.

Point is there are 50 states in the US and they all have varying ideas on all sorts of things. Here, in the UK, where the Ops car is, has very clear regulations wrt tyre fitment.

No point trying to argue anything different  ;)
http://ijr.com/2014/12/222618-50-state-laws/ ...
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.