Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New DPF check - this should see a few sheds off the road  (Read 10810 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: New DPF check - this should see a few sheds off the road
« Reply #15 on: 21 June 2017, 17:36:19 »

Only test on a diesel car is an absolutely fickin brutal smoke test. Most diesels don't get to 4000rpm in daily driving, then the MOT man tries to kill your car.
The Zafira somehow always passed the smoke test. Probably because it wouldn't rev to 4k rpm ;D
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 June 2017, 17:36:57 »

Only test on a diesel car is an absolutely fickin brutal smoke test. Most diesels don't get to 4000rpm in daily driving, then the MOT man tries to kill your car.

Your going t wrong MOT station if they rev it that hard.....I know they should tho'

My MOT garage just gives a quick blip on the throttle and leaves it at that  :y
I thought the test was all system monitored now?
Damn well ought to be. If it can't be held at 4,000 RPM for a few seconds without dying, then better it dies there and then than carry on chucking out soot and unburnt fuel. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 June 2017, 17:38:50 »

About time too. There are too many tractors driving round with emissions that make your eyes water. Drive a convertible for a day and you'll understand what your pollen filter has been removing. :o
Yet, my pre-DPF fog monster will not have to obey these rules...  ...put probably will be the first to hit these city centre taxes, being an old soot chucker.

Gixer and I noticed on the Jag, only one bank of cylinders has a cat on it.  Upon checking the workshop manual, that is correct :o
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 June 2017, 17:46:48 »

Take it thatbit has an x pipe or similar so the gasses from both banks mix?

I suppose why bother with a second if scrubbing 50% of the gas will need current regs. Any more than that and you're only adding cost no benefit, other than that of the polar bears.  ;D

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 June 2017, 17:49:42 »

Your going t wrong MOT station if they rev it that hard.....I know they should tho'

Damn well ought to be. If it can't be held at 4,000 RPM for a few seconds without dying, then better it dies there and then than carry on chucking out soot and unburnt fuel. :y

Nope...MOT blokey can click on various messages disregarding messages about engine/exhaust temp....and then just let it idle after a quick blip on the throttle when it does the smoke test.....or did when mine was last tested  ;)

I can see the point about soot Kevin, but a petrol can chuck out unburnt fuel as well .... whats the difference between diesel and petrol unburnt fuel I don't know....  :-\

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 June 2017, 17:56:17 »

Nope...MOT blokey can click on various messages disregarding messages about engine/exhaust temp....and then just let it idle after a quick blip on the throttle when it does the smoke test.....or did when mine was last tested  ;)

I can see the point about soot Kevin, but a petrol can chuck out unburnt fuel as well .... whats the difference between diesel and petrol unburnt fuel I don't know....  :-\

If it does it will fair the emissions test, that is the difference.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 June 2017, 18:03:47 »

Could be a good reason to lpg a car then... replace the cats with a straight though pipes and remove the rev limiter :D

Cheap fuel costs are a happy bonus...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 June 2017, 19:04:08 »

Exactly. The petrol emissions test is actually designed to detect common faults that might cause the original emissions criteria not to be met.

The diseasel test is designed to ensure the guy behind can still see where he's going. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 June 2017, 19:16:24 »

Exactly. The petrol emissions test is actually designed to detect common faults that might cause the original emissions criteria not to be met.

The diseasel test is designed to ensure the guy behind can still see where he's going. ::)

The petrol test highlights faults that tend to be fixable.
The diesel test presents faults that you could spend £000's chasing and still not fix because they're characteristic of diesel engines.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 June 2017, 20:22:10 »

I'd say that because tractors chuck out unburned fuel constantly. If a petrol does it's because there's an issue.

Diesels in my opinion are awful. I hate the smell. I hate the sound. I find it funny when people who buy them trying to save money end up needing turbos, DPFs, EGRs, injectors, etc.

This all happens because diesel doesn't burn well and these issues are all because of this.

I love my petrol guzzling omega 😂😂😂
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 June 2017, 05:56:25 »

Sorry, on the environment I meant.....A petrol could fail the emissions test on one day of the year...then scrape through the test and go back to chucking out unburnt fuel for the rest of the year.....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 June 2017, 08:06:19 »

Sorry, on the environment I meant.....A petrol could fail the emissions test on one day of the year...then scrape through the test and go back to chucking out unburnt fuel for the rest of the year.....

Not necessarily. A petrol car in good condition will pass the test every day of the year with a massive margin. If a car is borderline, then the test is doing what it should and weeding out faulty cars. The fact that some faults are gradual in their nature (i.e. the degrading of a cat) mean that there will be a few years where it will "scrape through" but remember that an MOT test is carried out in the most challenging conditions - with the cat relatively cool because the engine cannot be driven under load. A car that has "scraped through" will probably still be compliant when under load on the road because the cat will be much hotter.

Contrast that with the diesel test which looks for density of smoke only during a brief acceleration of the engine. It doesn't matter what's in the exhaust as long as the density is within limits. I suspect a lot of older diesels have injectors that are delivering a dribble of fuel instead of atomising it. They still pass but with all manner of sh1te coming out of the exhaust. About time they were checked for Hydrocarbon emissions.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 June 2017, 08:22:08 »

My "diesel" car passes the smoke test as long as it is actually running on diesel and " not making the workshop smell like a farkin chip shop". Wrong smell is  an immediate fail.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 June 2017, 08:32:36 »

Remember also that if a petrol car is chucking out un-burnt fuel then the cat will be dead pretty quickly, his will then fail the test even of the Lambda figure is met.

Interestingly, I got a print out two weeks ago when the bus passed its MOT which showed the particulate levels at differing engine revs which was a surprise (it passed easily as it does have a fitted and working DPF - 185k miles and no issues)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 June 2017, 09:32:16 »

Remember also that if a petrol car is chucking out un-burnt fuel then the cat will be dead pretty quickly, his will then fail the test even of the Lambda figure is met.

Interestingly, I got a print out two weeks ago when the bus passed its MOT which showed the particulate levels at differing engine revs which was a surprise (it passed easily as it does have a fitted and working DPF - 185k miles and no issues)

At these kind of miles, do you begin to have issues with ash? As I understand it the soot is burned off in the re-gen process, leaving just ash.

VAGCOM tells me there is 34g of ash in my DPF and it can hold 75g, currently on 83k miles. But suggests 160k+ it could be approaching full, at that point can you remove the DPF to get rid of the cash?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.