Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New DPF check - this should see a few sheds off the road  (Read 10802 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: New DPF check - this should see a few sheds off the road
« Reply #60 on: 22 June 2017, 15:45:01 »

The brother in law currently has a 540 (lease car) in Munich, its being replaced by the V6 turbo option but, the lead time has gone off the scale due to everybody running away from the diesel versions and choosing the petrol due to concerns over just what the governments are going to do with diesel power.

So give it a few years and the tables may well have changed.  :y

Yup  :y

I think 3-5 years best case, before 'premium' brand new cars now are better priced and we have a good selection. e.g. loads of BMW 5 Series Estates with 2.0 petrol engines.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 22 June 2017, 15:51:18 »

Acceptable oil consumption for the Vw 2.0 diesel is in the order of 1 litre every 1000 kilometers.

Where do you think this oil goes?

I suspect most of the oil consumed would be burnt much the same as diesel and that its the additives that form the ash (so much lower volume), given what some of the oil additives are its likely to contain some 'interesting' compounds!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 22 June 2017, 15:59:17 »

So can anything actually cause a DPF to "fail"? (excluding a re-gen cycle not completing = blocked or ash level reaching full level)

To me it comes across as similar to destroying a cat, the engine would have to be running rich/have a fault that would be causing excessive soot, which then could not be burnt off quick enough (or doing a constant regen)

As it appears if you do long enough runs, allowing it to do the cycles it should they are generally reliable?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 22 June 2017, 16:01:31 »

Yes generally reliable, you could suffer physical damage etc just like a Cat and eventually they would rot out (the Zaf one has a long pipe from the DPF to the back box which is part of the DPF which corrodes away but, there is a repair piece which fits in to save DPF replacement).

Tuning boxes don't tend to help and using crap oil which is not DPF suitable is a bad idea.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 22 June 2017, 16:11:03 »

The brother in law currently has a 540 (lease car) in Munich, its being replaced by the V6 turbo option but, the lead time has gone off the scale due to everybody running away from the diesel versions and choosing the petrol due to concerns over just what the governments are going to do with diesel power.

So give it a few years and the tables may well have changed. :y

That is the problem "buying" secondhand now. Diesel is the obvious choice but I just know they will be taxed to death, excluded from big cities ( Granada and Seville are both struggling to get below EU polution limits) and generally vilified.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 22 June 2017, 16:26:12 »

Yes generally reliable, you could suffer physical damage etc just like a Cat and eventually they would rot out (the Zaf one has a long pipe from the DPF to the back box which is part of the DPF which corrodes away but, there is a repair piece which fits in to save DPF replacement).

Tuning boxes don't tend to help and using crap oil which is not DPF suitable is a bad idea.

Yeah I've noted this when doing an oil change on mine, I've made sure the oil is suitable. I'll also take mine to VW to keep service stamps with just an oil change.

So give it a few years and the tables may well have changed. :y

That is the problem "buying" secondhand now. Diesel is the obvious choice but I just know they will be taxed to death, excluded from big cities ( Granada and Seville are both struggling to get below EU polution limits) and generally vilified.

Yup, buying now basically means diesel really. As only petrols around (2007-15 age) tend to be huge performance versions, the ultra new ones have the small turbo lumps.

Now when I look Zafira Tourers the petrols are really low in numbers, with diesels in the 1,000+

In 5 years, I think this will have reversed, if the current wind continues against diesel from government.

But don't let that put you off, my diesel costs £30 for the year to tax and easily gets over 50mpg, you will get the arguments of injectors/turbo's ect but the harsh truth is there are no petrols around for second hand buyer with a £10-15k budget. 

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 22 June 2017, 16:35:21 »

I'd agree with all of that, I'm confident my current one will be the last diesel I buy and it'll be ready for the bin in 5-7yrs.

I bought it because it'll live on the motorway (where it belongs) and SWMBO's 1.2y petrol will be used for any town work.

It all depends on how often you want to visit a city and how big you think the risk of a ban is. If it's only once a month or less, would the reduced fuel and tax costs of a diesel pay for a hire car on those days?

I took a similar view on the s80 vs v70 debate, a v70 would have cost me an extra £2-3k for a like-for-like car and uses a bit more fuel, so I figured that on the occasions I need an estate, I'll hire a van. However that doesn't work if you need a daily sprog-carrier.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 22 June 2017, 17:07:50 »

Remember also that if a petrol car is chucking out un-burnt fuel then the cat will be dead pretty quickly, his will then fail the test even of the Lambda figure is met.

Interestingly, I got a print out two weeks ago when the bus passed its MOT which showed the particulate levels at differing engine revs which was a surprise (it passed easily as it does have a fitted and working DPF - 185k miles and no issues)

At these kind of miles, do you begin to have issues with ash? As I understand it the soot is burned off in the re-gen process, leaving just ash.

VAGCOM tells me there is 34g of ash in my DPF and it can hold 75g, currently on 83k miles. But suggests 160k+ it could be approaching full, at that point can you remove the DPF to get rid of the cash?

Its about 85% full and you can get them emptied, the main cause of the ash is actually the oil burning as part of the combustion cycle so regular oil changes with the correct oil helps.

That's said I seem to recall the VW removal procedure starting off something like, 1) Remove subframe.... :(

I think your right .... was chatting to another driver earlier who used to drive a Passat...
His DPF failed at 140k...
Took it to local garage....who didn't want to know about changing it..
The went to VW in Swindon....they took a look and shipped it to VW in Bristol...
A week later he got it back......

When you say failed, clogged of soot? or full of Ash?

All issues appear to result from in-correct use and it not completing a re-gen cycle, there does not appear to be much to actually fail in terms of it physically working?

Car went into limp mode.....when diag tester attached it complained of DPF....so it got changed....eventually  ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 22 June 2017, 17:13:45 »

In reality, the penalties against diesel cars will be levelled at new car buyers unless the government get really desperate to hit air quality targets, in which case they will be banned from city centres, I suspect. Once the cars have filtered down into the hands of the "average punter", retrospective measures will cost them too heavily at the ballot box.  ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 22 June 2017, 17:31:54 »

I agree toa point but it is quite easy to load vehicle fuel tax year on year to make diesel less attractive. Who would complain at such a green measure? Especially if it is countered with generous bribes in the form of discounts off electric vehicles.

In Spain ypur local council sets and receives vehicle tax rates. They do vary hugely
. So it would be easy for a city  like Granada plagued with polution ( high pressure sits over it all summer so no wind to blow it away) to load diesel cars and make green cars conversely cheaper. Who could complain?

I am not too worriedabout being barred from bigger cities. Better to train/bus into them or use park and tram.

So overall green will win the day
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 22 June 2017, 17:37:54 »

True. I suppose I'm thinking in a uk-centric way (as that's all I really know) where retrospective measures would be unpopular come election time as it's difficult to single out certain vehicles without tearing up the rulebook and starting again. 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 22 June 2017, 17:47:03 »

S'pose I should look where my DPF is. Is it that rather huge thing just after the 2 bank's exhausts meet about halfway down, with extra pipes and shit going to it?

Want to change the oil in another couple of thousand. Reckon its Jag only, and they'll want me bent over the coffee machine, in the reception position?
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 22 June 2017, 18:04:44 »

What your garage has a coffee machine and a reception.! Things are looking up.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 22 June 2017, 18:14:39 »

What your garage has a coffee machine and a reception.! Things are looking up.  :y
I hope they supply the Vaseline, as I'm gonna be poor ;D
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 23 June 2017, 01:37:27 »

Reckon its Jag only, and they'll want me bent over the coffee machine, in the reception position?

Well, maybe the bumming part, but I doubt the oil is jag only, that 3.0 diesel lump has been doing the rounds for the better part of a decade and is in JLR, pug and shitroen applications, Tesco probably stock it :P
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.