Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Have we gone too far in quest for cheap?  (Read 3154 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Have we gone too far in quest for cheap?
« on: 24 June 2017, 09:41:58 »

A number of times I question whether we have gone too far as a society in obeying " It has got to be cheap".

Not just my experience with a Stihl chainsaw which I wrongly just assume should work with fuel added or washing machines that develop a simple fault but it is cheaper to replace or car parts that are just expected to fail.

At the other end of the scale is what would appear to be a failure to check (on the checkers) that building regs for flats etc are actually being followed. If you are a private individual , like Mr DTM, I bet you had quite a few building control visits. Yet large new builds or renovations, it would appear, get to be occupied in a sub standard state. Smacks of third world to me. What a mess as this will cascade over the UK in the coming weeks. Good if you are a hotelier possibly.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Have we gone too far in quest for cheap?
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2017, 11:50:33 »

Definitely, and Comparison websites are the architects of this downfall.

Service industries particularly have gone to the dogs in the UK in the last 5yrs or so. I used to do all my spending (business and personal) through a generic American Express card (no bonuses, cashback etc). They were brilliant, eg. arranged a same-day replacement card, in Brazil when I had my wallet stolen. But then around 3yrs ago they shoved all their call centres overseas and it meant the level of service took a dive.

Now I just use a card linked to my airmiles and put up with the naff service. At least I'm getting something out of it.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2017, 13:26:07 »

It's the fact that contractors are allowed to be judge and jury, IMHO.

Someone like Mark will have his work inspected, rightly so. A contractor would probably be allowed to self certify, which is where the rot sets in. All government agencies appear to have got rid of most of their knowledgeable "troops on the ground" and just rubber stamp EU legislation into effect without a clue what it means in a practical sense. Just try calling OFCOM with a technical issue these days, and see how far you get, for example. Or the CAA, about something that actually relates to an aeroplane.  :(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2017, 15:07:13 »

A number of times I question whether we have gone too far as a society in obeying " It has got to be cheap".

Not just my experience with a Stihl chainsaw which I wrongly just assume should work with fuel added or washing machines that develop a simple fault but it is cheaper to replace or car parts that are just expected to fail.

At the other end of the scale is what would appear to be a failure to check (on the checkers) that building regs for flats etc are actually being followed. If you are a private individual , like Mr DTM, I bet you had quite a few building control visits. Yet large new builds or renovations, it would appear, get to be occupied in a sub standard state. Smacks of third world to me. What a mess as this will cascade over the UK in the coming weeks. Good if you are a hotelier possibly.

Good also for the building contractors who are now already engaged in the remedy work, and that to come. ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2017, 15:15:28 »

Everyone loves a bargain[then a lot complain it's not the highest quality]Think Ratners jewellers years ago.All sorts of jewellery for cheap until Gerald Ratner himself stood up and said it's crap!Everyone was in uproar[what did they expect for the money?]and the jewellery chain went under shortly after.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2017, 15:31:02 »

You only get what you pay for. Simples! :D ;)

But, all too many people now want something for nothing :(

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2017, 15:48:04 »

So what you are saying is people want cheap and by definition poorer quality?

I think it is a British quality we have developed. Stuff like two chickens for a fiver ( how can they do that?).

It is much less evident in the Spanish psyche. When they get married and set up home they buy quality furniture to last them. None of the going to DFS every other year for a revamp of living room etc.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2017, 18:13:08 »

I don't think it is a problem with consumers it is a problem with suppliers and manufacturers. they always want to cut their costs and maximise the price they sell at. they used to get away with it, remember rip off britain? now we can cut out the middlemen and buy online at cheaper prices . 

what is needed  is proper regulation of the manufacturers, not government bending over backwards to help them eg they shouldn't be allowed to sell flammable building cladding by law.   just like CFCs in aerosols, petrol companies who used to add lead to petrol,  and long ago cider makers who added lead to cider knowing it was poisonous.  or trans fats or cigarettes etc...

ditto chickens shouldn't have to live their lives in tiny cages
« Last Edit: 24 June 2017, 18:18:03 by migmog »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2017, 18:53:02 »

What a mess as this will cascade over the UK in the coming weeks. Good if you are a hotelier possibly.

Good also for the building contractors who are now already engaged in the remedy work, and that to come. ;)

There will be a few millionaires created out of this mess, which will cheer Comrade Corbyn up no end!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2017, 20:45:22 »

But, all too many people now want something for nothing :(
Esp when their cheap housing gets smokey....
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2017, 07:54:32 »

The Building regs allow for two types of submission, full plans, or building notice.

With full plans you tell them everything your are going to do, materials etc and it gets reviewed, building notice they carry out stage inspection.

Of course, having got the full plans approved actually getting a builder to stick to them is another matter!

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2017, 14:08:04 »

Im a BCO, often the supplier sends out something different, telling the buyer "its just as good" when they mean we have loads of this stuff and we cant get rid of it, or its half the cost,

once its up and covered how do you tell? 

I cant be on the site all day everyday.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 June 2017, 14:18:25 »

Im a BCO, often the supplier sends out something different, telling the buyer "its just as good" when they mean we have loads of this stuff and we cant get rid of it, or its half the cost,

Yes, had a few try that, the classic was crushed concrete to replace MOT Type 1....yes it was cheaper but no not nearly as good as well compacted graded limestone!

We had some at the railway, by the time you have removed the whole bricks, bits of rebar, the odd builders glove and other random items you had almost a skip of crap to get rid of.

Similarly, I watched them build an extension behind us and the footings were about 0.9m deep and not to good undisturbed ground (as an example I had to go down 1.8m). Then the insulation that went into the walls was 'occasional' with lintels sat on a 1/4 brick length etc.....all on full plans approach!

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2017, 17:33:58 »

Yes, had a few try that, the classic was crushed concrete to replace MOT Type 1....yes it was cheaper but no not nearly as good as well compacted graded limestone!

We had some at the railway, by the time you have removed the whole bricks, bits of rebar, the odd builders glove and other random items you had almost a skip of crap to get rid of.

Similarly, I watched them build an extension behind us and the footings were about 0.9m deep and not to good undisturbed ground (as an example I had to go down 1.8m). Then the insulation that went into the walls was 'occasional' with lintels sat on a 1/4 brick length etc.....all on full plans approach!

I never had a problem with builders on a bungalow I bought to completely modernise , I had a problem with the building inspector!  ;D
He kept missing appointments....and used to get royally peed off when I told the builders to carry on regardless...I used to tell him when he did finally turn up...."So, are you going to pay my builders to sit on their arses for days waiting for you to turn up".
He had a go at me about a flat roof on extension.....the plans showed mushroom vents in the roof.....it didn't have any...
I asked why do I need the vents....he said for ventilation in the roof space....I replied wheres the ventilation when the roof space is filled with insulation....he asked is it?? I got the electrician who was onsite at the time to pop out a downlighter....which he did and BI shut up when he shone torch up there and saw insulation everywhere....
Never saw the BI again on that project......and still got it signed off  ;D :y

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 26 June 2017, 18:33:55 »

Drains are the worst. When we used to turn big, old houses into flats, we used to get regular visits at various stages of the job. But, with drains, the inspector had to come out when we had dug down far enough to hit clay, then again when we had laid the concrete base, then again when we had laid the drains and once more when we had concreted over the drains. This was all earthenware stuff with tarred hemp joints, finished off with sand and cement.
We used to get round it by having about ten men ready with concrete when he first came, so they could chuck it in while he was there, and same again when he came to look at the runs.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.