Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VM router box v3 port forwarding  (Read 1442 times)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
VM router box v3 port forwarding
« on: 11 August 2017, 16:26:06 »

Does anyone know how to setup port forwarding on the newer V3 Superhub that VM supply please.

Iv recently had to have them come out to my VM box and the 'engineer' replaced my older box with the new V3 box, but now I can't get to setup port forwarding for remote viewing of CCTV
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: VM router box v3 port forwarding
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2017, 21:32:55 »

Get a decent router like the linksys lrt214 and use the VM router in modem/pass-through mode.  Not only will you be able to setup PF and firewall rules better, but it will also do a fairly decent VPN which you can use to keep your web traffic safer when using public wifi. I also find this setup more stable than using the VM router on its own. 

Its the main reason I wont touch sky broadband anymore as they use MER which makes setting up your own equipment a lot more difficult.  I would never trust the security of a supplier provided router on its own, not after what I have learnt in my current role :-X

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2017, 09:02:13 »

Also the VM Superhub 3 is liable to fall over regularly, due to an as yet unfixed DoS problem, where even a simple portscan will kill it.

Get a decent router. All ISP supplied ones are shitter than shit.
Grumpy old man

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2017, 10:42:22 »

Also the VM Superhub 3 is liable to fall over regularly, due to an as yet unfixed DoS problem, where even a simple portscan will kill it.

Using your own router and switching the VM3 into passthrough mode stops this issue as all traffic is passed to the new router which is why you need a good one.  I am seriously impressed with the linksys, a bit pricey but worth it.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2017, 11:55:44 »

Depends on what you want out of them, I got early dibs on the newer Sky ones some time ago as a staff trial.

I've turned it on, stuck it in the cabinet and it's just worked. I think I've rebooted it once in last 6 months, that was due to a line issue not router problem.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2017, 14:28:46 »

Depends on what you want out of them, I got early dibs on the newer Sky ones some time ago as a staff trial.

I've turned it on, stuck it in the cabinet and it's just worked. I think I've rebooted it once in last 6 months, that was due to a line issue not router problem.
I ask for something that's secure, reliable and does what it claims it should.  All ISP provided freebies fall down on all 3, with the exception of some ISPs with locked down routers, which fail on the first 2, but not on the 3rd, simply because all features are locked out.

But what do you expect for free ;D
Grumpy old man

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2017, 21:30:48 »

Thanks for the advice on the router, I'll take a look at buying 1 in the near future...

I jumped on YT and thats solved my problem, so looks like its OK for now...

Problem I had was the old router needed restarting - no exxageration - 20 times in 1 day.....!!!!

I had to threaten to cancel my contract with VM to get them to come and change the router.... idiots...!!!
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.