Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: That London place.  (Read 3593 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
That London place.
« on: 13 August 2017, 09:44:30 »

So Saturday we go to that London place, as son had been promised a trip to the Lego shop, we goes down by train, nice and easy, gets to kings Cross, then by tube to Leicester Square, no problem, walk up to stairs, at the top, a guy asleep in the path, walking about they are every were, dirty smelly, drug abusers, is this the view tourists see, and the image they take home, other Capital Cities don't seem to have this problem,they get moved.... A street performer is asked to move the crowd in a bit or face being arrested, while 10feet away, a drug user off his face is ignored, then to Trafalgar Square, there's a group of 4 users complete with the obligatory dogs, sleeping bags, 1 asleep the other three having an heated  chat, drinking, Tec, plus the change for a cuppa brigade, 

I think we need to get TB up and running for government to implement his final solution.
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: That London place.
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2017, 10:53:24 »

It is called 'care in the community'. We closed all the asylums 40 years ago and sold off the premises for executive houses and shopping centres :(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2017, 10:59:23 »

There must be loads of disused warehouses and the like up and down the country that could be converted into 'shelters'?  :)

It needn't be expensive either, a few bunk beds for the inmates clients comfort and a few rolls of razor wire and padlocks for their own safety.  Job jobbed!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2017, 11:01:44 »

Isn't vagrancy still an arrestable offence? Or is it too much bother for Plod, treading water until his 30 years are up and he can retire (on full pension)?

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2017, 11:35:04 »

I was in Landan last night.  After dinner at Veeraswary, we went for a walk around the circus, china town and soho and thought it was not very busy at all.  Normally I am fighting through a maelstrom of tourists and peddlars with my shoulders getting a decent workout.  Not last night, even the queue for the Lego shop was only 10-12 people long.  Still got asked for money at nearly every junction but I thought that the weaker pound was supposed to have encourage more tourists :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2017, 11:38:45 »

They heard that the BigGriffin was in town!  :-X  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2017, 12:01:34 »

I was in Landan last night.  After dinner at Veeraswary, we went for a walk around the circus, china town and soho and thought it was not very busy at all.  Normally I am fighting through a maelstrom of tourists and peddlars with my shoulders getting a decent workout.  Not last night, even the queue for the Lego shop was only 10-12 people long.  Still got asked for money at nearly every junction but I thought that the weaker pound was supposed to have encourage more tourists :-\

We left at around 17.30, was heaving around there most of the day,

There seems to be more vagrants than pigeons, perhaps it should be an offence for people to give to them, seems that not feeding the pigeons seems to have,reduced the pigeons numbers, also you can shoot pigeons.
Hoof'land storeman.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2017, 12:35:51 »

I'm off there next week for a few days, I think most major city's are the same now as the system is so stacked against anyone trying to get off the streets they have little chance. I find conversations around these issues a bit difficult on here as the majority seem to fail to see issues as they are at the lower end of the chain. Mental health services haven't got a hope in hell of effectively helping someone at street level due to complete withdrawal of any outreach workers, funding cut's you see  :'( . You can however get a lovely subsidised, Michelin quality 3 course slap up meal with great wine in the commons/lords for a couple of quid   >:(

Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2017, 12:44:20 »

Can anyone eat at the MPs' trough?
I find it hard to feel sorry for some of these vagrants afer seeing quite a few of them emptying their "donations" into a big bag kept behind them, so as not to look as if they are doing too well!  >:(

Ron.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2017, 12:53:35 »

Was in the Leicester square monday and in the mcdonalds some guy came up to me and showed me a sign stating he had no money or hadn't eaten in days so I offered him a portion of fries and he shaked his head and rubbed his fingers as if to say no i want money. Told him to jog on!!!

Went to the lego store but tbh didn't think much of it apart from over priced

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2017, 13:13:46 »

London is a multicultural shit hole full of beggars, wannabe gangsters, foreign NHS tourists and smackheads  :(

Those true Londoners who could, moved outside the M25 years ago and those true Londoners who couldn't afford too  :( are stuck in what was once the proud capital of England  :(

Knew many a good person from London in the early 80's and loved going down there ...........
Now days, I actually refuse to work around there because I hate it that much  :(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2017, 13:45:04 »

Was in the Leicester square monday and in the mcdonalds some guy came up to me and showed me a sign stating he had no money or hadn't eaten in days so I offered him a portion of fries and he shaked his head and rubbed his fingers as if to say no i want money. Told him to jog on!!!

Went to the Lego Storebut tbh didn't think much of it apart from over priced

Prices in the Lego store are the same as you pay in any other store, the Lego company control all prices world wide, stores can mark products down and do special offers with Lego permission, always look on line for sets you want there are deals. 

While in Leicester Square did you see the guy who gets all the Mcdee cups out the bin for the stickers to get free coffee, and also picks up burger king cups to get the free refills. ..
Hoof'land storeman.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 August 2017, 14:18:33 »

Went to the Lego Storebut tbh didn't think much of it apart from over priced

Prices in the Lego store are the same as you pay in any other store, the Lego company control all prices world wide, stores can mark products down and do special offers with Lego permission, always look on line for sets you want there are deals. 

While in Leicester Square did you see the guy who gets all the Mcdee cups out the bin for the stickers to get free coffee, and also picks up burger king cups to get the free refills. ..
Shows how out of touch i am with prices lol

No didn't see him but sounds like a good idea though

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 August 2017, 14:27:10 »

London, like so many cities around the world, reflect all levels of their societies, with the good, bad and ugly permanently on display.  London has been a much worse city than it is today, being absolutely filthy, smelly, and very dangerous in so many parts of it. The streets during the ages had human and animal waste covering the roads, and a smog was usually making the air from the centre towards the East almost unbreathable, with most Londoners suffering from various serious health conditions, and in earlier centuries plague running rife, with even the waters dangerous to drink even up to the Victorian age.  Monarchs, such as Elizabeth I would take her Royal entourage out of London every summer to avoid it all, travelling to rural parts free from plague and all ills. 

The city we see today maybe is far from perfect, but have a quick read of this summary of conditions in the city during Victorian times, along with progress being made to make improvements:

http://www.britainexpress.com/London/victorian-london.

http://www.britainexpress.com/London/victorian-london.htm

Take a peep at these photo's and just feel the grime and smell the poverty:

http://www.britainexpress.com/London/victorian-london.htm

So when in London, the City I am most proud of, look beyond the modern problems on the streets, and see the clean buildings, streets and majority of people.  Smell the fresh air, and marvel at the clean waters of the Thames that has many fish in it for the first time in centuries, then look up at the blue skies when there is no rain, which is now basically clean compared to the heavily soot polluted stuff that fell out of the sky right up to my childhood in the 1950's.  Oh, and then marvel at being able to see your hands in front of you! ;)

« Last Edit: 13 August 2017, 14:29:27 by Lizzie Zoom »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 August 2017, 14:35:01 »

People are coming to their senses, and realising what a shithole the place is, and avoiding it ;D

And then there is getting in to the shithole. That often means Chiltern Railways. A useless bunch of inept retards (just slightly less retarded than some other operators), with the most arrogant, self centred bunch of self abusers clientele.  You have to argue to get a seat, as everyone thinks its their God-given right to take up the whole row, and be surrounded by the great unwashed.

And its £70 for the privilege.

I fikkin' hate London.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 August 2017, 14:47:43 »

Best bypassed...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 August 2017, 15:01:00 »

I was a ragged-arsed kid born in the East End of London, in Bow and was educated at one of the Guild schools, Coopers' Company's, Mile End. It is now a very upmarket housing complex and the nearby streets are in the process of being "gentrified", yet when I return to visit, it is over-run by immigrants (mostly muslems) and other dross - the place is now beyond all recognition and though I still claim to be a true Cockney, I hate the place.
Don't get me started on the congestion zones, bus lanes and segregated cycle lanes or I will take up ALL of the space here and the Server will blow a fuse!  >:( >:( >:( :( :(

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 August 2017, 15:07:23 »

From where I live it's a pretty easy drive down the M3, A316, A4 and keep going straight until veering right a couple of times.  The only issue is the bottle neck at Knightsbridge which is a frickin disaster.

When I used to have the Leaf the parking was free as long as it was a charging point.   :P

London is ok.  I could never live there, despite the pressure from the rents and Mrs G to do so.  I grew up in the countryside with no neighbours so built up areas are a nightmare for me.  I like going in* when it is quiet, taking in the sights, have a meal, grab some culture, then get the frick out of dodge.

*unless the spearfishing conditions are good in which case it needs to be a case of life and death.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2017, 15:33:13 »

In my teenage years, I was very keen on photography (I still am, and ended up teaching it, as well as Electronics), and used to love taking night photos, especially in and near Trafalgar Square.
I would not DARE to do that nowadays, not without an armed guard of several big buggers tp protect me from those who would like to convert my expensive camera gear into their next drugs fix!  :(

Ron.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 August 2017, 17:01:37 »

Lived in london for over 40 yrs, from late teens till recently. Not smack bang in centre, 25 mins on train.

Big cities will always have "issues" and you either like it and go with it, or not. Where I lived (Enfield Town) it was generally ok, but in recent years the general atmosphere changed. The citre centre "edge" was moving outwards and we didn't like it, getting old. House prices had gone nicely stupid, so we sold up and moved over 200 miles away. Financially London had been great for us (Thanks London !). Absolutely no regrets, even though the house that we sold continued to increase in value, enormously.

Still go back occasionally, sometimes even just for the day by train (450 mile round trip). I agree with Lizzie, it's easy to be negative, but it's been worse, and still could be much worse. Proportionally, I see just as many junkies begging on the streets in Swansea as in London.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 August 2017, 17:31:16 »

This won't be a popular view, but in my very early years, my grandad knew the Krays, and yes. as far as I could tell at that age they WERE bad men, but only to other bad men. They policed the East End far more effectively than Plod when it came to protecting the vulnerable members of their patch - the elderly, the infirm and the very young.
What you did NOT do was to upset them.....like making poofter jokes in Ronnie's hearing!!!  :-X :-X

Ron. (NOT Ronnie!)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 August 2017, 17:46:09 »

This won't be a popular view, but in my very early years, my grandad knew the Krays, and yes. as far as I could tell at that age they WERE bad men, but only to other bad men. They policed the East End far more effectively than Plod when it came to protecting the vulnerable members of their patch - the elderly, the infirm and the very young.
What you did NOT do was to upset them.....like making poofter jokes in Ronnie's hearing!!!  :-X :-X

Ron. (NOT Ronnie!)

Whenever I think of the Krays I often wonder if Barbara Windsor might have been able to 'cure' Ron of too many boy's bums.

He was also a mad bastard to the point of insanity...... ;)

« Last Edit: 13 August 2017, 17:51:37 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 August 2017, 18:00:37 »

Windsor? They wouldn't touch her with yours! And apart from being not as pretty as SHE thinks, she was a one-trick pony as far as acting was concerned, too - especially in EastEnders - with one of only two facial expressions. Sorry if you liked her, but in the East End she was regarded as a bike.....

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 August 2017, 18:16:16 »

Windsor? They wouldn't touch her with yours! And apart from being not as pretty as SHE thinks, she was a one-trick pony as far as acting was concerned, too - especially in EastEnders - with one of only two facial expressions. Sorry if you liked her, but in the East End she was regarded as a bike.....

Ron.

I don't rate her, Ron.

I just thought she was a big friend of the Krays. :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 August 2017, 18:23:12 »

That I can neither confirm nor deny, but I'm glad I didn't offend your illustriousness with my negative comments about Windsor!

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 August 2017, 18:33:35 »

That I can neither confirm nor deny, but I'm glad I didn't offend your illustriousness with my negative comments about Windsor!

Ron.

In common with just about every soap actor/actress she couldn't act to save her life. :)

Just famous for her big tits. ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 August 2017, 19:00:52 »

I can only speak for EE in soap terms because I was born in London and so I watch it, despite SO many inaccuracies - including Danny Dyers "cockney" expressions, but I do have a sneaking regard for Bonnie Langford's acting abilities....but then, she has done her apprenticeship, from Violet Elizabeth Bott (Just William) onwards - and even though she is getting on a bit, I still would!!!  :P :P :P

Ron.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 August 2017, 20:35:40 »

I'm disgusted at how from the start of this thread every comment negates the absolute tragedy that some people have nothing, no home, no food, no spare clothes. nowhere to even wash and are classed as the subhuman. It's almost like it's not a real thing. I honestly am stunned by the arrogance!

« Last Edit: 13 August 2017, 20:40:27 by omegod »
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 August 2017, 20:39:32 »

Sorry, I missed the debate about prices in the lego store, my word, how awful  :o!!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 August 2017, 20:53:53 »

Sorry, I missed the debate about prices in the lego store, my word, how awful  :o !!

Yes, the participants are now bricking it.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 August 2017, 21:02:39 »

Sorry, I missed the debate about prices in the lego store, my word, how awful  :o !!

Yes, the participants are now bricking it.

Feel free to link up with with me via pm and we'll connect !

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 August 2017, 22:36:14 »

I'm disgusted at how from the start of this thread every comment negates the absolute tragedy that some people have nothing, no home, no food, no spare clothes. nowhere to even wash and are classed as the subhuman. It's almost like it's not a real thing. I honestly am stunned by the arrogance!

It's a dilemma that I have faced uncountable times, and that many face every day. "Is this person in genuine need" or " Is this person taking me for a ride"

I know with absolute certainty that I have given money to people who are just riding the system and conning the benevolent. I very much hope that I have also given money to those in genuine need. BUT, the first just pisses me off so much. Not so long ago at Liverpool St Station, I parted with some cash, and then watched the guy playing the same story to at least two others. He was good, very good. But that particular incident very much hardened my attitude.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 August 2017, 22:50:17 »

We visit London for the weekend (mainly winter time) a few times a year and what I find sad is the people who genuinely do sleep rough. At the rear of Waterloo Station, out of view of the Station's awaiting masses, you will see people huddled in doorways to keep warm at night. The shop doorways in the Covent Garden area become a shelter for homeless people after darkness falls and many many more areas are the same. These people are NOT begging, just merely sheltering from the bitter cold. They MAY have been begging during the day, who knows, but the fact remains that they are definitely sleeping in doorways at night.
As we tend to visit in winter, you will see people sleeping in doorways at night when it's -5 outside. Some people create their own fate, others just get dealt a bad hand, but it certainly opened my eyes and made me aware of how lucky I am.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 August 2017, 23:05:32 »

I have complete sympathy with people who are genuinely living on the streets. The problem is, its often difficult to distinguish them from the p1ss takers who make a decent living out of begging, and then go home in the evening.
The ones who do it for a job, should be first in line for the cull when it comes.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.