Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: That London place.  (Read 3594 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: That London place.
« Reply #15 on: 13 August 2017, 14:47:43 »

Best bypassed...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 August 2017, 15:01:00 »

I was a ragged-arsed kid born in the East End of London, in Bow and was educated at one of the Guild schools, Coopers' Company's, Mile End. It is now a very upmarket housing complex and the nearby streets are in the process of being "gentrified", yet when I return to visit, it is over-run by immigrants (mostly muslems) and other dross - the place is now beyond all recognition and though I still claim to be a true Cockney, I hate the place.
Don't get me started on the congestion zones, bus lanes and segregated cycle lanes or I will take up ALL of the space here and the Server will blow a fuse!  >:( >:( >:( :( :(

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 August 2017, 15:07:23 »

From where I live it's a pretty easy drive down the M3, A316, A4 and keep going straight until veering right a couple of times.  The only issue is the bottle neck at Knightsbridge which is a frickin disaster.

When I used to have the Leaf the parking was free as long as it was a charging point.   :P

London is ok.  I could never live there, despite the pressure from the rents and Mrs G to do so.  I grew up in the countryside with no neighbours so built up areas are a nightmare for me.  I like going in* when it is quiet, taking in the sights, have a meal, grab some culture, then get the frick out of dodge.

*unless the spearfishing conditions are good in which case it needs to be a case of life and death.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2017, 15:33:13 »

In my teenage years, I was very keen on photography (I still am, and ended up teaching it, as well as Electronics), and used to love taking night photos, especially in and near Trafalgar Square.
I would not DARE to do that nowadays, not without an armed guard of several big buggers tp protect me from those who would like to convert my expensive camera gear into their next drugs fix!  :(

Ron.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 August 2017, 17:01:37 »

Lived in london for over 40 yrs, from late teens till recently. Not smack bang in centre, 25 mins on train.

Big cities will always have "issues" and you either like it and go with it, or not. Where I lived (Enfield Town) it was generally ok, but in recent years the general atmosphere changed. The citre centre "edge" was moving outwards and we didn't like it, getting old. House prices had gone nicely stupid, so we sold up and moved over 200 miles away. Financially London had been great for us (Thanks London !). Absolutely no regrets, even though the house that we sold continued to increase in value, enormously.

Still go back occasionally, sometimes even just for the day by train (450 mile round trip). I agree with Lizzie, it's easy to be negative, but it's been worse, and still could be much worse. Proportionally, I see just as many junkies begging on the streets in Swansea as in London.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 August 2017, 17:31:16 »

This won't be a popular view, but in my very early years, my grandad knew the Krays, and yes. as far as I could tell at that age they WERE bad men, but only to other bad men. They policed the East End far more effectively than Plod when it came to protecting the vulnerable members of their patch - the elderly, the infirm and the very young.
What you did NOT do was to upset them.....like making poofter jokes in Ronnie's hearing!!!  :-X :-X

Ron. (NOT Ronnie!)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 August 2017, 17:46:09 »

This won't be a popular view, but in my very early years, my grandad knew the Krays, and yes. as far as I could tell at that age they WERE bad men, but only to other bad men. They policed the East End far more effectively than Plod when it came to protecting the vulnerable members of their patch - the elderly, the infirm and the very young.
What you did NOT do was to upset them.....like making poofter jokes in Ronnie's hearing!!!  :-X :-X

Ron. (NOT Ronnie!)

Whenever I think of the Krays I often wonder if Barbara Windsor might have been able to 'cure' Ron of too many boy's bums.

He was also a mad bastard to the point of insanity...... ;)

« Last Edit: 13 August 2017, 17:51:37 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 August 2017, 18:00:37 »

Windsor? They wouldn't touch her with yours! And apart from being not as pretty as SHE thinks, she was a one-trick pony as far as acting was concerned, too - especially in EastEnders - with one of only two facial expressions. Sorry if you liked her, but in the East End she was regarded as a bike.....

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 August 2017, 18:16:16 »

Windsor? They wouldn't touch her with yours! And apart from being not as pretty as SHE thinks, she was a one-trick pony as far as acting was concerned, too - especially in EastEnders - with one of only two facial expressions. Sorry if you liked her, but in the East End she was regarded as a bike.....

Ron.

I don't rate her, Ron.

I just thought she was a big friend of the Krays. :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 August 2017, 18:23:12 »

That I can neither confirm nor deny, but I'm glad I didn't offend your illustriousness with my negative comments about Windsor!

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 August 2017, 18:33:35 »

That I can neither confirm nor deny, but I'm glad I didn't offend your illustriousness with my negative comments about Windsor!

Ron.

In common with just about every soap actor/actress she couldn't act to save her life. :)

Just famous for her big tits. ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 August 2017, 19:00:52 »

I can only speak for EE in soap terms because I was born in London and so I watch it, despite SO many inaccuracies - including Danny Dyers "cockney" expressions, but I do have a sneaking regard for Bonnie Langford's acting abilities....but then, she has done her apprenticeship, from Violet Elizabeth Bott (Just William) onwards - and even though she is getting on a bit, I still would!!!  :P :P :P

Ron.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 August 2017, 20:35:40 »

I'm disgusted at how from the start of this thread every comment negates the absolute tragedy that some people have nothing, no home, no food, no spare clothes. nowhere to even wash and are classed as the subhuman. It's almost like it's not a real thing. I honestly am stunned by the arrogance!

« Last Edit: 13 August 2017, 20:40:27 by omegod »
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 August 2017, 20:39:32 »

Sorry, I missed the debate about prices in the lego store, my word, how awful  :o!!
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 August 2017, 20:53:53 »

Sorry, I missed the debate about prices in the lego store, my word, how awful  :o !!

Yes, the participants are now bricking it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.