Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sssshhhhh.....don't tell Field Marshal Opti Meerkat  (Read 2825 times)

STEMO

Sssshhhhh.....don't tell Field Marshal Opti Meerkat
« on: 15 August 2017, 19:47:00 »

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Sssshhhhh.....don't tell Field Marshal Opti Meerkat
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2017, 20:02:20 »

Are you sure that 50 shades of grey suits you?  ;D
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2017, 20:03:37 »

Are you sure that 50 shades of grey suits you?  ;D
Not as much as bogey green, and not as rare as star silver, but I'll learn to live with it.  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2017, 20:23:40 »

Another Astra? Have some imagination  :P

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2017, 20:27:07 »

I don't need imagination, I need a car to do the job. Not everyone can have a garage as interesting as yours.  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2017, 21:09:37 »

I'm thinking of investing in a soot chucker. This one:

https://www.thecarpeople.co.uk/find-a-car/car-details/vauxhall-astra-wakefield-317410

Looks a solid bet, hard to get more functional car for your money! I realise you'll most likely have thought of this but does your usage suit a diesel? I think when SWMBO's yeti is up, a petrol auto Astra is a strong contender. I'm sure I saw a 1yr old one with nav and a few other bits for a little over £10k.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2017, 21:16:34 »

https://www.thecarpeople.co.uk/find-a-car/car-details/vauxhall-astra-wakefield-317410

Looks a solid bet, hard to get more functional car for your money! I realise you'll most likely have thought of this but does your usage suit a diesel? I think when SWMBO's yeti is up, a petrol auto Astra is a strong contender. I'm sure I saw a 1yr old one with nav and a few other bits for a little over £10k.
I know you're not supposed to footle around in a diesel, Jimmy, but I know lots of people who drive them and never go near a motorway with no problems. The wife has a 1.5 Renault diesel, she's put 11000 miles on it with a daily commute of 15 miles on town roads with no sign of the DPF complaining. On the captur forum there are many motorbility drivers who only go to the shops, they don't seem to have any problems. I'm not letting that side of things put me off it, esp as the worst case scenario is a new DPF at around £800.
One of my dog walking buddies has the same diesel astra. Had it from new, 2013, and only ever driven locally.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2017, 21:20:21 »

As for the petrol, auto astra, I hope she doesn't mind the complete lack of power almost to the point of being afraid to attempt an overtake. I think my 1.4 manual is quicker than the 1.6 auto. This is one of the reasons I'm changing mine. 165bhp versus 98. 9 seconds to 62 versus 14.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2017, 21:42:44 »

Hmm. I didn't realise they were *that* slow. The w reg 1.6 Astra we had years ago was quicker than that!

To be fair, SWMBO doesn't overtake things.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2017, 21:56:31 »

Hmm. I didn't realise they were *that* slow. The w reg 1.6 Astra we had years ago was quicker than that!

To be fair, SWMBO doesn't overtake things.
The 1.6 you had years ago wasn't trying to put maidens water out of the tailpipe.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2017, 22:10:46 »

I don't need imagination, I need a car to do the job. Not everyone can have a garage as interesting as yours.  ;D
You do realise that his garage contains a Passat ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2017, 22:26:01 »

I know you're not supposed to footle around in a diesel, Jimmy, but I know lots of people who drive them and never go near a motorway with no problems. The wife has a 1.5 Renault diesel, she's put 11000 miles on it with a daily commute of 15 miles on town roads with no sign of the DPF complaining. On the captur forum there are many motorbility drivers who only go to the shops, they don't seem to have any problems. I'm not letting that side of things put me off it, esp as the worst case scenario is a new DPF at around £800.
One of my dog walking buddies has the same diesel astra. Had it from new, 2013, and only ever driven locally.

I might have to consider a diesel Zafira Tourer, it opens the options to many more cars.

I'd be interested to see how you get on  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 August 2017, 23:17:03 »

You do realise that his garage contains a Passat ;D

a car that ought to have been advertised as 'It's more exciting than your last Toyota!'

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 August 2017, 23:36:36 »

They seem to be pretty quick these 2.0 Diesel Astra J's especially remapped... Awhile back one of these 2.0D kept up and overtook me going flat out up a clear two lane hill not easy but was gradually pulling away. Although at the time my suspension was soggy so had to let off..  ::) .... Oh and the white Astra J in question had a baby on board sign swinging away on the back screen  :o

This Astra might be too powerful for uncle STEMO?  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2017, 00:06:44 »

They seem to be pretty quick these 2.0 Diesel Astra J's especially remapped... Awhile back one of these 2.0D kept up and overtook me going flat out up a clear two lane hill not easy but was gradually pulling away. Although at the time my suspension was soggy so had to let off..  ::) .... Oh and the white Astra J in question had a baby on board sign swinging away on the back screen  :o

This is a worry.  :-\  Maybe something like a 1ltr Nissan Micra would be more appropriate.......  ::)                                              :D  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 August 2017, 00:49:00 »

Anything to make him shit himself  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 August 2017, 08:27:45 »

2.0 diesels easily put out as much torque as a 3.2 Omega, that's before you've had them re-mapped. Mid range say 40-80 ish, nothing much in it. Where the 3.2 wins out is when you get into 3 figures  :)

Lincs Robert

« Reply #17 on: 16 August 2017, 10:48:38 »

2.0 diesels easily put out as much torque as a 3.2 Omega, that's before you've had them re-mapped. Mid range say 40-80 ish, nothing much in it. Where the 3.2 wins out is when you get into 3 figures  :)

I posted many years ago that the Focus 1.8 Tdci we had at the time put out more torque than a 3.0V6. It was interesting testing both cars going up the long hill out of Amersham towards Beaconsfield - the Focus won!  :(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 August 2017, 11:25:01 »

I wouldn't......but you knew that already. :-\

I don't think you can use the words 'investing' and 'soot chucker' in the same sentence because diesel is dead in the water and  dealers are keen to be shot of them. Diesel car prices are falling.

Overpriced for a 3 year old car that runs on narrow boat fuel.

Your whippet won't like it. :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 August 2017, 11:29:59 »

I posted many years ago that the Focus 1.8 Tdci we had at the time put out more torque than a 3.0V6. It was interesting testing both cars going up the long hill out of Amersham towards Beaconsfield - the Focus won!  :(

Yup, does not surprise me.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 August 2017, 12:44:16 »

Ex plod LSD swings things back in the Omega`s favour  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 August 2017, 20:22:57 »

I embarrassed a Mundano TDCi up that very hill a few years back, in my beloved Silver Bullet.

Our family are normally a bit cautious going up there though, due to bro's automatic gearbox letting go quite spectacularly whilst trying to overtake in his, then brand new, Chavalier in the mid 80's ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.