Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cam cover seal renewal  (Read 1019 times)

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
Cam cover seal renewal
« on: 10 October 2017, 18:04:32 »

Halfway through this job. Just wondering: Should I put a smear of the sealant on the corresponding area of the cover that goes through 90 deg?
Also, a tip for when you take the covers off. Check that you can account for all the o-rings. Mine had gone hard and some dropped out of the cover as I removed it. One fell down next to a spark plug and another hid down by a cam lobe. Not sure what the consequences might have been. :(

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Cam cover seal renewal
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2017, 21:00:30 »

Yep. This is the guide I am using. TB shows that the sealant goes on the cylinder head. I was wondering if it is a good idea to put some on the corresponding areas of the plastic cover before pushing in the new seal into the grooves?

Does 'yes' mean you think it to be a good idea annihilator?

Can't see that it would do any harm. ???

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2017, 21:17:39 »

Yep. This is the guide I am using. TB shows that the sealant goes on the cylinder head. I was wondering if it is a good idea to put some on the corresponding areas of the plastic cover before pushing in the new seal into the grooves?

Does 'yes' mean you think it to be a good idea annihilator?

Can't see that it would do any harm. ???

On the V6 I use a TINY amount of sealant to act as a "glue" to hold the gasket in place, but only a TINY amount ... if you put too much it will ooze out on fitting .. and what you can wipe off on the outside will also be on the inside that you can't wipe off, and that risks stray lumps of sealant inside the engine, potentially blocking oil-ways .... not a good idea   :(

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2017, 22:32:26 »

The cam gasket should be a fairly tight fit inside the grooved section of the cover and doesn't really need any sealant to hold it in place during fitting.Possibly with a non std gasket that isn't such a tight fit I could see the merit in smearing grease a little grease in the grove to hold it in place.

Wise putting a bit of grease on the 0 rings though as they can drop out on refit .

You really should account for all 8 old 0 rings on removal as they wont do the oil ways much good 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.