Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: So I took the cill covers off the 3.2.....  (Read 16325 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
So I took the cill covers off the 3.2.....
« on: 03 December 2017, 15:49:51 »

As part of some pre-investigations to see if it was viable for LPG, wish I had not bothered and stayed blissfully unaware!

Started to take it off the drivers side...

Visually, kinda looked ok, but pressing it felt like a sponge.  :(

Uh, Oh.

Using screwdriver, it just went straight through  :'( :'( :'(

Corrosion all along is bad, this up near the front.

Although fixable, my concern is this is the start of a never ending battle against rust.  :(

-----------------

So I could put the cills back on, this would pass MOT without issue.

So the real world impact is it's not as structurally sound any more?  :-\

As I did enjoy a spirited drive home Friday night, I really started to bond with this car. I've really enjoyed my drives home in it, the power, the ride, the effortless aspect of pulling away. Quite gutted really.  :'( :'( :'(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: So I took the cill covers off the 3.2.....
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2017, 15:56:54 »

I wouldn't worry too much about that, as outer sills are £50 each and easy to do.
What you don't want to do is poke about in the arches behind the sills, or under the back bumper. And you definitely don't want to check around the front subframe mounts above the wishbones.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2017, 16:06:21 »

I wouldn't worry too much about that, as outer sills are £50 each and easy to do.
What you don't want to do is poke about in the arches behind the sills, or under the back bumper. And you definitely don't want to check around the front subframe mounts above the wishbones.

Trouble is I cannot do that myself, so need garage to do it. I recall Entwood struggled to source them, they had to be made up there and then, quick search.. he paid £600 to have them fitted.

<snip>

Please advise how I should proceed from here.

Trip to a friendly welder for removal of rotten metal and replacement with new ... the only way to sort that problem. I had both sides done on mine 2 years ago .. £600 but that was for complete new cills both sides. Not purchased ones, he fabricated them himself.

beaten to it ....by migv6 ... again .....  :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2017, 16:34:16 »

Trouble is I cannot do that myself, so need garage to do it. I recall Entwood struggled to source them, they had to be made up there and then, quick search.. he paid £600 to have them fitted.

<snip>

Please advise how I should proceed from here.

Trip to a friendly welder for removal of rotten metal and replacement with new ... the only way to sort that problem. I had both sides done on mine 2 years ago .. £600 but that was for complete new cills both sides. Not purchased ones, he fabricated them himself.

beaten to it ....by migv6 ... again .....  :-\

Seems far too much money to pay to be honest but to be fair that's also down to who you know who can do the work, if it's someone who's running a business doing repairs etc they will have overheads.

The sills are available from Carz2 (as well as other suppliers), takes them up to a month to get them shipped from abroad but that'll give you chance to look at the other areas on the car - Front engine cradle mount points onto front chassis rails, rear arm mounting points etc etc.

Ultimately, if you like the car i'd get it repaired because buying any other Omega in the hope it'll be in better condition is a non-starter and therefore your looking at another newer vehicle...
« Last Edit: 03 December 2017, 16:35:52 by VXL V6 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2017, 16:41:10 »

Another Omega is pointless, this one is an 02 plate, so one of the newer examples.

Agreed it's a choice to fix this, or go something new. I do really, really like the 3.2 now. But I don't have the contacts for welding, I'd be in Entwoods area of paying, his costs are 2 years ago as well.

Add this to LPG work, looking at ~£2k  :-\

My preference for a replacement would be 2009-ish XF-S.

Something like this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708318838100?postcode=gu153au&sort=distance&price-to=8500&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&model=XF&maximum-mileage=125000&make=JAGUAR&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&page=3

*and yes Lord Opti would say its far too much for that age and is a diesel, but that's what the market is like.  :D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2017, 16:42:53 »

A big bonus is that fatty admin has a 3.0 Jag lump now, so technical info is good.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2017, 17:01:53 »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2017, 17:04:28 »

This outfit imports Omega sills. I bought a pair, about £80 I think. I had a friend of my son weld in patches. I have now bought a Mig welder and am learning to use it.
http://www.carz2.co.uk/vauxhallopel-omegavauxhall-omega-94--16603-c.asp
Phone no. is 01684 541267.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2017, 17:10:56 »

MOT testers are not allowed to dismantle the cars they examine. However on mine they hammered away at the bit of uncovered cill exposed by the rear jacking point. He used a pointed hammer, like a pick, and it went through It must be a tip in the tester's handbook. He bashed holes in both cills and failed it. He charged me £250 plus VAT to patch them.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2017, 17:12:05 »

Thanks, done some serious work there, including the arch/inner areas at the back.

This outfit imports Omega sills. I bought a pair, about £80 I think. I had a friend of my son weld in patches. I have now bought a Mig welder and am learning to use it.
http://www.carz2.co.uk/vauxhallopel-omegavauxhall-omega-94--16603-c.asp

Phone no. is 01684 541267.

Thanks, the cills appear reasonable, but I can't weld. So needing professional services there, but as others have mentioned I need to look in other areas. Suspect if they are bad in the sill area, others will not be far behind  :-\  :(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2017, 17:13:04 »

MOT testers are not allowed to dismantle the cars they examine. However on mine they hammered away at the bit of uncovered cill exposed by the rear jacking point. He used a pointed hammer, like a pick, and it went through It must be a tip in the tester's handbook. He bashed holes in both cills and failed it. He charged me £250 plus VAT to patch them.

That's issue, nearly 300 quid bill for a patch job, suspect in a year or two would ned patching again.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2017, 17:13:58 »

The sills are back on, which means it would pass any MOT  ;D

Is the main issue structure weakness?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 December 2017, 17:17:28 »

That's issue, nearly 300 quid bill for a patch job, suspect in a year or two would need patching again.

Well, have them fit the whole bloody sill(which is barely any more work) and forget about it for the rest of the car's life.
Not an Omega, but the principle is the same:

yes, I do have to do mine; that last link at £35 each means I'll be buying a pair.

This was required for my MOT last year, I'm about halfway through cutting out the rot:

« Last Edit: 03 December 2017, 17:23:09 by Nick W »

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2017, 17:18:40 »

That's issue, nearly 300 quid bill for a patch job, suspect in a year or two would ned patching again.

Why not drop a call to Daz or Serek and see what they say?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 December 2017, 17:22:02 »

Why not drop a call to Daz or Serek and see what they say?

Not heard from Daz in ages, is he still doing work on Omega's?

Could drop serek a call  :y
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.