Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Passports  (Read 2842 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Blue Passports
« on: 24 March 2018, 12:51:04 »

I'm surprised nobody has brought this up yet!  ::)

So it's been in the news that the next contract for printing UK passports has been won by a Franco-Dutch company, who apparently won it fair and square under EU state procurement rules.  :-\  It seems this company Gemalto outbid the British firm De La Rue by £120 million quid, which is a considerable saving for the taxpayer!  :y

However putting the inevitable hysteria of national humiliation aside and putting my tin foil helmet on, I reckon there is more to this than meets the eye.  ;)

Firstly there is the possibility that De La Rue were complacent and assumed that they would get the contract, so loaded it up and are now crying foul!  ::)

Secondly, Gemalto put in a low bid at break even or less to win the contract on a loss leader basis, hoping to win more business from HMG in the future.  ???

Thirdly, Gemalto is being clandestinely subsidised by the EU or French government to get the contract as a poke in the eye to the UK.  :-X

Or is it simply a case of civil servants rigidly following EU rules and not learning anything from BREXIT, nor giving a toss for public opinion or the fact that their decision may entail job losses in the UK?  :P  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Passports
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2018, 12:59:44 »

Difficult one this.

The Frenchies are clearly more competitive and as you rightly say £120 million isn't peanuts.

As we are leaving the EU with plenty of V signs I would have liked the contract to have gone to a British company.

Will the new passport have Made in France  stamped on it? ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2018, 13:03:06 »

So it's been in the news that the next contract for printing UK passports has been won by a Franco-Dutch company, who apparently won it fair and square under EU state procurement rules.  :-\  It seems this company Gemalto outbid the British firm De La Rue by £120 million quid, which is a considerable saving for the taxpayer!  :y

However putting the inevitable hysteria of national humiliation aside and putting my tin foil helmet on, I reckon there is more to this than meets the eye.  ;)

Firstly there is the possibility that De La Rue were complacent and assumed that they would get the contract, so loaded it up and are now crying foul!  ::)

Secondly, Gemalto put in a low bid at break even or less to win the contract on a loss leader basis, hoping to win more business from HMG in the future.  ???

Thirdly, Gemalto is being clandestinely subsidised by the EU or French government to get the contract as a poke in the eye to the UK.  :-X

Or is it simply a case of civil servants rigidly following EU rules and not learning anything from BREXIT, nor giving a toss for public opinion or the fact that their decision may entail job losses in the UK?  :P  ::)

Is it a significant sum but also quite trivial when you consider the £350 Million EACH WEEK we will soon get back from the EU. :) 

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2018, 13:05:46 »

Difficult one this.

The Frenchies are clearly more competitive and as you rightly say £120 million isn't peanuts.

As we are leaving the EU with plenty of V signs I would have liked the contract to have gone to a British company.

Will the new passport have Made in France  stamped on it? ::)

...or manufactured in the EU. :)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2018, 13:08:47 »

Is it a significant sum but also quite trivial when you consider the £350 Million EACH WEEK we will soon get back from the EU. :)
Keep telling yourself that for long enough and you might start to believe it  :(

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2018, 13:27:00 »

I'm sure that HMG could have saved even more than £120 million if they'd given the contract to a Chinese company!  :y

After all, we're going to be outward looking Global Britain, rather than inward looking Little Europeans!  ;) 

What could possibly go wrong?!  ::)  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2018, 14:05:05 »

If they were the cheapest to provide the same product to the same quality and timescales, then its right they won it, irrespective of the hysteria of the conspiracy mob.

But when did common sense ever get in the way of those genuinely believing we'll be £350m a day better off ;D
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2018, 14:29:36 »

Due diligence?

£120 million difference?  I smell a rat.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2018, 15:45:48 »

I must be the only one who couldn't give the tiniest shite then.  :-\

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2018, 15:51:42 »

French handling
Chinese paper
Russian ink
Dutch postage
That sound about right?

Keith ABS

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2018, 16:40:00 »

French handling
Chinese paper
Russian ink
Dutch postage
That sound about right?

Keith ABS

You forgot Spanish practices Keith!  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2018, 17:03:15 »

You don't need a passport to go from Barnsleywakefield to Liverpool. And no lengthy quarantine for the whippet. :)

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2018, 17:03:57 »

You don't need a passport to go from Barnsleywakefield to Liverpool. And no lengthy quarantine for the whippet. :)
I see a whippet was champion of champions at Crufts.  :P

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2018, 17:08:01 »

I see a whippet was champion of champions at Crufts:P

Yes....a good looking hound if a little on the skinny side.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 March 2018, 17:38:13 »

I wonder if Pet Passports will be blue as well?  ???  :-\

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.