Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: electrical short in heater/air con  (Read 771 times)

andy72

• Newcastle
    • View Profile
electrical short in heater/air con
« on: 13 February 2010, 17:25:51 »

I woke up to a flat battery this morning. Thought it was a knackered battery so bought a new one from halfords.

All ok.

Then the radio was doing different thing to what it used to do (it had stopped needing the instrument panel fuse pulling out and putting in again to swith it on). It was working fine.

Then i got a funny burning smell and the air con/ blower fuse (30 amp) keeps blowing after 5 or 6 seconds after replacing.

Any ideas of a simple fix? electrics are really out of my comfort zone and i want to avoid the expense of an auto electrician.

andy72

• Newcastle
    • View Profile
Re: electrical short in heater/air con
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2010, 18:07:16 »

its fuse 14 that keeps popping. Literally just started today. All works ok for 10 seconds, all heaters blow etc then the fuse just pops and it all goes dead

andy72

• Newcastle
    • View Profile
Re: electrical short in heater/air con
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2010, 19:32:29 »

found the problem.

In my brute force attempt to remove the ashtray/lighter thing i just pulled the drawer off rather than remove the ash tray and screw( since read this on the how too's). This resulted in the power lead for the cig light getting cut through the insulation and basically shorting on something.

Just repositioned it, replaced the fuse and all works ok. I'll remove the ashtray properly when its light tomorrow and taped it up or even remove the cig lighter as i dont need it.

Two lessons learnt

1) brute force doesnt always work
2) joining up here and reading the how to's has quite possibly saved me a few hundred pounds by avoiding an auto electrician.

Huge thanks to those that write those guides :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.