Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting Vinyl Click Flooring.  (Read 1333 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Fitting Vinyl Click Flooring.
« on: 01 April 2019, 15:48:21 »

So house works nearly complete, but I'm a bit broke now. We had 'luxury' Vinyl stuff fitted in new kitchen/diner, it's like laminate stuff but better. Waterproof, warmer and quieter. I had that professionally fitted...

I would like this all through downstairs now, I have a pile of 9 packs of the stuff already for the new play room. (which was old kitchen) Also need to buy more stuff as I know need to keep going if I want all down stairs done.

Looks straight forward enough to fit based on youTube videos, take my time, angle/cut well enough and it clicks together. I've got the underlay stuff, the floor is level (2013 build house, screed floor) laminate is down in hallway/living room. Tiles were in the old kitchen but they have been removed. But not sure where to start in play room, when actually putting the planks down. 

Old kitchen:

I would go length ways starting from bay window, the side with sink has 1 unit remaining right next to bay window.

Any flooring experts? Would you start on wall where the sink was? Start at bay window? Or start at other end at work towards bay window?  :-\

Our old kitchen was 4m x 2.5m so quite small, new kitchen diner is 8m x 4m so quite a change for us, old kitchen will be a perfect play room for my 2 girls. 

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Vinyl Click Flooring.
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2019, 16:10:17 »

I'm sure you will get as many opinions as there are repliers, but for what it's worth, in my various tiling jobs I have found it more aesthetically pleasing to start in the centre and work towards the edges - leaving the part tiles at the edges where they don't show as much.

Ron. (Waits for the contradictions.....).

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2019, 16:42:09 »

Little more research suggests I should carry on from where it's currently fitted? ie new extension, there is a joiner to the old flooring where it meets living room.

I need to carry on from there into rest of the house, so it flows the same?

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2019, 17:06:31 »

In the absence of other data, I'd run the planks with the long sides parallel to the longest walls (so "lengthways" down the length of the room); but if that is contradictory to the direction then run where they'll join the other planks then I'd run them in the same orientation as the rest of the house.

It'll look like a dogs dinner if you change direction at a doorway ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2019, 17:07:33 »

Yeah agree all needs to be same way, new planks in the extension already facing right way  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2019, 08:09:28 »

In the absence of other data, I'd run the planks with the long sides parallel to the longest walls (so "lengthways" down the length of the room); but if that is contradictory to the direction then run where they'll join the other planks then I'd run them in the same orientation as the rest of the house.

It'll look like a dogs dinner if you change direction at a doorway ;)

Now you see on narrow areas (And that old kitchen is pretty narrow), I always advise the apposite as otherwise it makes the room feel narrower  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2019, 10:30:29 »

I have laid quite a few of these and similar wood flooring. Your choice where to start, although from what you say it will look aesthetically more pleasing if it flows from existing. To minimise wastage, when you cut an end off a board, use the off-cut to start the next row, otherwise you will end up scratching your head looking at a lot of off-cuts. :y

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2019, 17:34:42 »

I have laid quite a few of these and similar wood flooring. Your choice where to start, although from what you say it will look aesthetically more pleasing if it flows from existing. To minimise wastage, when you cut an end off a board, use the off-cut to start the next row, otherwise you will end up scratching your head looking at a lot of off-cuts. :y
Yes, or else all of the joints will be in a line together.....not good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.