Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air recirculation button has a mind of its own  (Read 2032 times)

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
Air recirculation button has a mind of its own
« on: 07 September 2017, 11:29:30 »

Literally, it goes on whenever it feels like and only way to turn it off is by pressing Auto, the button itself doesnt seem to work at all.
What could cause this random behavior?

mandula

• Finland
    • Opel Omega -03, Z22XE man
    • View Profile
Re: Air recirculation button has a mind of its own
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2017, 12:52:23 »

I don't know is this related to your problem, but at other forum there was a thread about Omegas air re-circulation problem, goes like this (free translate from finnish to english):

Omegas with air conditioning there might be a problem with programming on air con module, that causes air re-circulation to turn on when cold weather (about +5 C and under) and battery voltage drops below 9 V when starting the car. Air circulation indication lamp might not even light when this happens. This problem can cause inside of windscreen to mist or even frozen if cold enough.

This problem is caused by programming fault at air con module and it can be updated to get rid of problem, but also battery is not so good any more when this happens. Charging or replacing the battery might cure the problem for first aid.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2017, 13:27:46 »

On Facelift cars, if the symbol in the display is A with arrows round it, its using auto recirc where it turns on recirc when it detects traffic fumes.

If PFL, often the light goes a bit naff, and with recirc on, the light does as it pleases. Changing bulb cures.
Grumpy old man

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2017, 00:24:17 »

"other forum" ???

mandula

• Finland
    • Opel Omega -03, Z22XE man
    • View Profile

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2017, 06:40:19 »

I don't know is this related to your problem, but at other forum there was a thread about Omegas air re-circulation problem, goes like this (free translate from finnish to english):

Omegas with air conditioning there might be a problem with programming on air con module, that causes air re-circulation to turn on when cold weather (about +5 C and under) and battery voltage drops below 9 V when starting the car. Air circulation indication lamp might not even light when this happens. This problem can cause inside of windscreen to mist or even frozen if cold enough.

This problem is caused by programming fault at air con module and it can be updated to get rid of problem, but also battery is not so good any more when this happens. Charging or replacing the battery might cure the problem for first aid.

Its not really the same issue I think as it has been happening all summer and the light is on everytime its on for me. Its just annoying to turn off when the button does nothing and you cant turn it on yourself in summer with AC.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2017, 21:50:06 »

replace the switch, the plastic clip in the switch that operates the see-saw, when its worn out it will randomly turn on and off, it has a notch that when you press the switch it goes into a V pattern to engage the switch when its worn or fell out it pushes the switch, had same on heated seat switch as they all the same just a different shape sticks out the switch to locate it in the right slot.  you can fix the switch using parts of another one they just clip in, inside. 

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2017, 15:56:32 »

The recirculation switch is a bit different from the others and it doesn't have that V pattern style switch just like few others.

I really saw nothing wrong with the switch when I took it apart and I tried the switch from my spare car which didn't help either.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2017, 19:45:10 »

if the switch is fine then it will be the magnetic switch on the back of the heater unit, could just be the plug has come lose, access is by taking out the glove box and looking up from the foot well you should see some wires and a vacuum line on a plastic clip it around the same line as the main wiring loom that's attached to the dash boar, one with the clips holding the wiring down. had similar problem and it was the wiring and clipped it back in and it worked again . try that. dont know how it came lose but just clipped back in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.