Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fighter Pilot : The Real Top Gun  (Read 4629 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Pilot : The Real Top Gun
« Reply #30 on: 22 August 2019, 18:09:52 »

I watched it
I was expecting more "equality" speil for the girl

It is recognised in 2019 that women can do all these jobs, no more or less than a man can.  So there is no need to "hammer" the equality issue anymore thank goodness 8) 8) :y
Let's see how far she goes.  ::)

There is already 7 other female pilots in the military, with some many more with the airlines 8) 8)

Seeing that many brave ATA WOMEN flew WW2 warplanes to their new bases in the UK, and even more than that, a female force of Soviet Union pilots, of the 588th Night Bomber Regiment, known as Nachthexen, or “night witches", due to the strange noise their early bombers made, dropping 23,000 tons of bombs on Nazi targets during 30,000 missions during WW2, it should not be questioned about women flying aircraft into battle. 8) 8) ;)

FTFY.
In 1990/1 I was involved with the flying training of the first lady pilot on Tristars. Michelle (name changed to protect her modesty) was a lovely lady, and a good pilot, very well constructed, but quite short of stature, requiring her seat to be fully forward for takeoff, in order to allow her to operate the rudder pedals to their full extent. This caused a slight difficulty in that this brought her embonpoint rather close to the control column. As most of you will know, one of a pilot's pre-flight checks is to to operate all the flying controls to ensure full and free movement, thus, if the Captain was doing the take-off, when it came to operating the control column fully aft during his pre-flight check, he would call: "T1ts Michelle", allowing her to adjust her seat, if she was already fully forward, to prevent possibly painful injury. I can imagine if that occurred nowadays a woman pilot would, perhaps justifiably, take serious issue, but Michelle, trooper that she was, took it in good spirit, and was thenceforth known throughout the airline as T1ts Michelle. She later became a Captain, and a year or so ago I met a Captain on a BA flight who, when I told him I had been on Tristars, asked me if I knew T1ts Michelle, as he had gone out with her at one stage, and that she was still known by that name. :y
To demonstrate how things have moved on, I was recently on a long haul BA flight with two lady pilots, and the very nice Captain came back to the cabin to chat to me, and told me her boy friend was a steward working in the economy cabin!
Back in the day, male Captains lived with stewardesses. :y

Yes, women have come a long way on their own merits, not as a result of favouritism or class status that even men had to suffer back in the earlier days of flying. The same goes for the Royal Navy with a growing band of female commanders, which could have persuaded me to join as a youngster if women had been allowed to be on board ship, and I would have followed my dear father, and a grandfather  into The Senior Service. :D

It is a different world now and I believe everyone in society can gain from it 8) :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Pilot : The Real Top Gun
« Reply #31 on: 23 August 2019, 00:45:53 »

What is more important if you have to 'mix it' with an enemy interceptor is thrust to weight ratio, turn & climb rates & especially thrust to drag when maneuvering as this will bleed off speed in a dogfight and these normally occur at subsonic speeds. What you don't want to do is run out of energy by being low & slow, so you can be picked off. Top speed is only a major issue when you have to 'bug out' & then once beyond visual range stealth will play a very important part in the F35.

None of the current generation of fighters expect to get into a dog fight. Not saying it can't happen, but the idea is that you engage the target at well beyond visual range, and the first the target knows about your presence is when your missile goes up their tail pipe. F-35B doesn't even have a gun and the RAF Typhoons have the gun port blanked off (it was too expensive to remove the gun itself because it upsets the balance of the aircraft). Modern short range missiles have high offset bore capability, and both the Aim9X (latest gen sidewinder) and the ASRAAM can be targeted at an aircraft behind the launch plane.

The F-35B isn't intended to be a 'fighter' - its a 'bomber'. In stealth mode it can only carry 2 ASRAAM's, plus 2 1000lb bombs internally. Longer range AIM120 AMRAAM's have to be carried on wing mounted pylons, which means the aircrafts radar signature increases massively - it's no longer stealth. AIM120's don't fit in the F-35B's weapons bay, and the funding to make them fit has been cut. The ASRAAM's are only there to engage targets of opportunity - basically things that get in the way. F35B would rather evade/run away from a threat than try to engage it. In the past both Tornado GR1/4 and Nimrod have carried sidewinders, but neither had any pretences at being an air to air fighter.

Agree with all of this & with the increasing use of standoff weapons, there is less need for penetration into enemy held territory.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.