Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26   Go Down

Author Topic: This Week in Wheeler's Workshop  (Read 79313 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: This Week in Wheeler's Workshop
« Reply #315 on: 22 November 2020, 17:12:20 »

That repair would probably outlast the car :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: 22 November 2020, 17:13:24 »

Over 40 years ago, on holiday in Normandy, Mum's Avenger split two(of four) heater hoses. As the cottage was miles from anywhere(although Rods2 would recognise the hamlet name) Dad made a temporary repair using ordinary and very old garden hose. Which was still on it when the car was traded in for  a new one four years later.....

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: 22 November 2020, 17:16:32 »

That repair would probably outlast the car :y

It's 16mm diameter brass with an 8mm hole through the middle. It ought to outlast me. I cut the plastic pipe back to what seems good material but I don't trust it. As this is the feed for the water-cooled turbo, it's important. And such a common failure that there is an upgraded part.

That's when I'll top up the anti-freeze

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: 26 November 2020, 23:01:34 »

Not in Wheeler's Workshop, but the garage down the road: a bright green Holden Maloo, probably for an MOT. They had a HSV last week.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: 05 December 2020, 14:48:56 »

Today, some jewellery.

broken earing from my sister:

so I cleaned both bits with a wire brush in the Dremel, added some flux, refilled my 'Heat Tool' with butane and soldered the two bits together:

So that's Christmas sorted :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: 17 April 2021, 19:43:34 »

More years ago than I want to remember, I started making a simple hacksaw from a magazine article to be powered by a wiper motor. Last year I found I found it behind a cupboard

and resolved to finish the thing. That was taken after I'd cleaned it and checked the frame still slides along the arm.

Some cutting, machining and welding of various scrap I had lying about, plus scrounging an MGF wiper motor and linkage:

Produced this (almost) finished tool:

There's even some Omega content: the upright that holds the pivot was cut from an Omega towbar.

It works, albeit slowly, when connected to a battery charger and cuts through steel bar which was my requirement.

To finish it needs wiring with a switch and fuse. I'll paint it when I've finished the wheeling machine I started at a similar time.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: 17 April 2021, 19:57:03 »

Reminds of the ancient one i used to use at my last job.  :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: 17 April 2021, 22:24:12 »

Hmm.....when it's raised from the slider, which I presume it is when resting on the piece of work to be cut, does it not 'rock', rather than a smooth back and forth motion?
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: 18 April 2021, 09:24:00 »

Hmm.....when it's raised from the slider, which I presume it is when resting on the piece of work to be cut, does it not 'rock', rather than a smooth back and forth motion?

the frame that hold the blade can only slide along the pivoting arm, as it's constrained by two more pieces of the tube you can't see in the photo. The whole assembly - frame, pivot arm, motor, mount and linkage - pivots. This means the cut starts short and at a steep angle, and gets longer and shallower as it progresses. That's typical of powered hacksaws but is a design compromise. They're intended to be simple, robust(proper commercial ones!), cheap and compact; a mechanism that keeps the cut parallel would be a lot more complicated. It's a roughing out tool that can be left unattended to munch through large stock. More sophisticated cutting is done on bandsaws.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: 18 April 2021, 16:00:53 »

the frame that hold the blade can only slide along the pivoting arm, as it's constrained by two more pieces of the tube you can't see in the photo. The whole assembly - frame, pivot arm, motor, mount and linkage - pivots. This means the cut starts short and at a steep angle, and gets longer and shallower as it progresses. That's typical of powered hacksaws but is a design compromise. They're intended to be simple, robust(proper commercial ones!), cheap and compact; a mechanism that keeps the cut parallel would be a lot more complicated. It's a roughing out tool that can be left unattended to munch through large stock. More sophisticated cutting is done on bandsaws.
Agree with that Nick. Worked at my best job for 25 years. Started off with a Hacksaw type, (it was there when i started). Suggested buying a bandsaw and they bought a Startright automatic one. Great piece of kit. Even used to leave it running when i left off on short billets and it switched off when it tripped the microswitch on the barfeed.  The clamping vice had rollers to feed the bars out to the workstop.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: 18 April 2021, 17:01:24 »

That's a horizontal bandsaw, and is a step up for cutting off lengths of stock.

Then there are vertical bandsaws that are used for cutting shapes, which would be much more useful to me. But even a small metal cutting saw takes up much more space than I have and is extremely costly. Most of the smaller machines are intended for cutting wood, so tend not to be robust enough and run far too fast.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: 19 April 2021, 18:00:04 »

The worst, (or funniest), part of fitting a new bandsaw blade was untwisting it. I used to drop it on the floor and stand well back.  :D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 20 April 2021, 20:10:57 »

I subscribe to a few YT woodworking channels and this seems to be the approved method.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: 26 April 2021, 23:29:02 »

Some time ago, poster on another forum suggested that 3D CAD makes designing things complicated, and requires months of training to produce something simple like a crankshaft. I thought at the time he had that back to front, and when reminded of it decided it warranted a quick look. A few minutes in Fusion360 produced this, from one dimensioned sketch(visible in the pic), 3 extrudes and a mirror operation:

another few minutes and three jointed copies later I had something that looked like it would work:

Then things got a bit out hand, and I ended up with a mostly working(F360 doesn't have a follower joint) CAD model of a 60cc DOHC water cooled, wet liner engine that with a little extra work could make a working prototype:

It's about 165mm long, 185 high and F360 reckons it will weigh about 4kg which seems a bit low to me.

These are pretty

If we don't start ringing soon, I'll end buying several blocks of aluminium and a chunk of 50mm steel bar ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: 27 April 2021, 06:32:45 »

A fancy drawing board. The thing you have to keep going back to when stuff doesn't work.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.