Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm fed up!! Tappet noise!!  (Read 1753 times)

tomtr250

• View Profile
I'm fed up!! Tappet noise!!
« on: 28 March 2014, 12:51:17 »

Hi, I'm after a bit of advice please

I've just bought a really nice 2.6 v6, when I looked at it it had been standing and the tappets were noisy, my thoughts were that this was normal for hydraulics and they would quieten down with running, so I went away looked at one or two other cars and decided to plump for this one.

Anyway I picked it up yesterday and after about 10 miles the noise got louder!! I stopped, checked the oil,filthy but all there, and drove it home slowly, it sounds like a bag of spanners!! but all very top end so I assume the hydraulic lifters are knackered.

Before I start is there any advice, flushing wynns etc etc or should I just wade in and take it to bits?

Any comments (apart from scrap it) would be welcomed

Tom

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: I'm fed up!! Tappet noise!!
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2014, 13:51:34 »

Do 3 quick full oil/filter changes of around 500 miles or so.On last full change add Wynns Lifter Treatment and would expect that to quiten things down nicely.

Dont add any flushing agents and if you have access to a T/Card 4 x 5ltrs of GM oil plus couple of filters will set you back around £50 all in

Make sure oil is good and hot before draining and give it good few hours to fully drain.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2014, 14:52:00 »

From my experience I would have the sump off quicksmart and clean the oil pick up pipe, I had increasingly loud tappets then a very seized engine :o I don't know if it's just the 2.6 but I know of 3 that have suffered the same fate due to clogged pick ups. My opinion is the lifters get noisy when the oil supply is restricted, which eventually affects the crank bearings.  For the sake of the price of a sump gasket it's definately worth doing.
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2014, 15:03:07 »

The cause of oil pickup blockage is poor spanner work and/or poor maintenance......nothing else
« Last Edit: 28 March 2014, 15:21:04 by Marks DTM Calib »

tomtr250

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2014, 16:44:11 »

Thanks for the advice so far, I won't be using it until I've done something...whatever something is!!

Mark I notice you are in WB I'm only round the corner in Clifton Village!!

Tom

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2014, 19:00:00 »

Drop the sump and clean the oil pick up strainer and sump pan by hand and you should be good to go. but several quick oil changes after will clean the rest of the engine oil ways.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

omega3000

« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2014, 19:06:22 »

From my experience I would have the sump off quicksmart and clean the oil pick up pipe, I had increasingly loud tappets then a very seized engine :o I don't know if it's just the 2.6 but I know of 3 that have suffered the same fate due to clogged pick ups. My opinion is the lifters get noisy when the oil supply is restricted, which eventually affects the crank bearings.  For the sake of the price of a sump gasket it's definately worth doing.

No, my old 3.0 suffered the same fate and that had regular oil changes  :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2014, 20:57:21 »

Malcolm recently has had the problem you might face if the pump pick up is clogged up  :'(

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=122287.0;all

It's not difficult to remove the sump & then you'll be sure  :y  :y  :y

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2014, 05:00:50 »

I think if you have just bought a car and no service history , defo worth dropping sump and check/clean the strainer . With regular oil changes should be no need to re-check  :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2014, 07:17:10 »

Take the oil filter off and see what state it is in.
if filter has collapsed and looks rough,then sump off,if looks good and changed regularly then fresh oil and some Wynn's
Hoof'land storeman.

tomtr250

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 April 2014, 07:23:16 »

Hi guys

Quick update, I got around to doing the sump and strainer yesterday, lots of hung and some mayo in the sump but the strainer wasn't too bad, all cleaned up and back together,

I couldn't budge the oil filter though!!! I've had everything on it! I need to get it up some more so I can get more purchase on the spanners

As a result I've re oiled it and run it up, there is no noticeable difference so what next? Does it need to come to bits or does it need to be run for a while ?

Tom

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 April 2014, 07:37:58 »

Cracked exhaust manifold sounds very much the same as noisy tappets, at least on mine 4-pot did  ???
I would rather push omega than drive renault

tomtr250

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 April 2014, 09:24:47 »

Hi

It's definately tappets, i've had a stethoscope on it, its particularly bad on the passenger bank

Tom

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 April 2014, 09:32:30 »

Well, you need to sort the oil filter one way or the other. That might be restricting the flow if it hasn't been touched for a while.

Give it a couple of oil changes at 500 - 1000 mile intervals then, if it's still noisy some Wynns lifter treatment.

If that all fails, you might need to take all of the lifters out, clean them out and check that they are serviceable.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2014, 12:22:07 by Kevin Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 April 2014, 09:36:08 »

Hi, I'm after a bit of advice please

I've just bought a really nice 2.6 v6, when I looked at it it had been standing and the tappets were noisy, my thoughts were that this was normal for hydraulics and they would quieten down with running, so I went away looked at one or two other cars and decided to plump for this one.

Anyway I picked it up yesterday and after about 10 miles the noise got louder!! I stopped, checked the oil,filthy but all there, and drove it home slowly, it sounds like a bag of spanners!! but all very top end so I assume the hydraulic lifters are knackered.

Before I start is there any advice, flushing wynns etc etc or should I just wade in and take it to bits?

Any comments (apart from scrap it) would be welcomed

Tom

Where are you located Tom?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.