Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Relay?  (Read 2111 times)

weldit

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
Relay?
« on: 09 April 2020, 21:43:48 »

Hi Guys, I have a very intermittent fault, today then 6 months ago, when I went to start the car, nothing, then after 2-3 tries, starter engaged and started right up, checked the cables-wires on the starter, all tight and clean, anyone else had this or know why maybe? I wouldn't like it to let me down one day
Cheers Dave

STEMO

Re: Relay?
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2020, 21:58:12 »

Manual or auto?

weldit

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2020, 22:15:29 »

It is auto

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2020, 22:25:53 »

It is auto
My astra does this occasionally, a quick wiggle of the gear selector usually sorts it.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2020, 22:29:56 »

It is auto
My astra does this occasionally, a quick wiggle of the gear selector usually sorts it.

AS STEMO says .. could well be the safety interlock between the gear selector/starter circuit ... has to be in "P" or "N" to start .. and if the switch is sticky ......

Take the gear selector quickly through all the positions a couple of times with the ignition "off" ... might well free off a sticky microswitch ... I've been told, but never experienced it .. that if you have the ignition "on" you can hear the relay pull in/out as you move the selector ... if you have decent hearing (I don't after 38 years in Aviation!!) it might be worth a try ?
« Last Edit: 09 April 2020, 22:31:37 by Entwood »

weldit

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2020, 22:58:56 »

Thanks, guys, will have a look tomorrow

Cheers Dave

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2020, 09:53:24 »

I 've had exactly this happen on two of my Omegas - would begin with being dead intermittently when the key was turned to the crank position. All iginition lights etc on, but nothing in the crank position. They would then crank after a few attempts. I initially thought it was the electrical contacts on the barrel ignition key, but it became more and more frequent until absolutely nothing in the crank position. 
Traced the fault to the solenoid on the starter motor. The internals had evidence of water ingress and were corroded. A new solenoid on the starter motors and problem solved on both cars. Never had the problem since.
A local auto electrician did mind for little money and checked the starter motor over whilst it was off - worth doing, as  it isn't a two minute job to remove the starter motor on the V6.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

weldit

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2020, 10:30:57 »

Cheers For that, this has the BMW  2.5 turbo diesel in it, my dad had a problem with a new Sierra back in the day, the push on connector on the solenoid was at fault, it was changed for a terminal and a nut and washer, as the solenoid had an m6 thread, which was very handy

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2020, 11:03:41 »

I owned a mk2 cab 1.8 CDi automatic (which cost me a bottle of scotch from kwiksave.)
For a while, I needed someone to turn the key whilst I hit the solenoid with a hammer. 
Try removing the starter on the automatic and you'll end up angry and swerey and defeated.
If you pass it onto a garage, their apprentice will question if he wants to be a mechanic and thier boss will smash it and then try to charge for a new one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 22 queries.