Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Failed MOT advice (Emissions)  (Read 8104 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Failed MOT advice (Emissions)
« Reply #15 on: 09 March 2018, 09:25:33 »

Engine MIL illuminated is currently only an advisory at MOT, so if the emissions once it's hot are OK, I'd leave the cat for now.

I believe a lit MIL will soon be a reason for failure, however.

In some countries, the OBD port is used to check that the cat monitoring cycle has completed successfully, so it will fail if you clear the codes just before MOT.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 March 2018, 19:36:29 »

Local Ford stealer recently got a new exhaust testing machine and already do hook the car up to it using the OBD port.What this does/tells them I know not.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 March 2018, 19:46:59 »

Local Ford stealer recently got a new exhaust testing machine and already do hook the car up to it using the OBD port.What this does/tells them I know not.

Absolutely nothing on your car...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 March 2018, 09:37:21 »

New MOT document comes into force on 2th May:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles

Currently the draft shows an EML lit as a major fail. ::)

There is nothing in the MOT manual that requires or allows connection to an OBD port so I'd be having a word if they tried that on my car. It's possible that emissions testers designed for the european market have the interface fitted but it's not used in a UK MOT test.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 March 2018, 13:20:18 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Omega-2-6-V6-ELITE-Estate-FULL-MOT-NO-ADVISORIES-NEW-CAMBELT-KIT/183132286164?hash=item2aa388ecd4:g:HckAAOSwKyRarTVj
Good to see the new exhaust has cured the emissions problem, James. The car looks like a bargain for whoever gets it. I was tempted into bidding myself, but it has risen too high for me. Should be worth over £1000.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 March 2018, 15:14:54 »

Terry...this is/was my gold estate. which you would have seen at Wycombe meets in the past. I let it go for a song to James, he and myself knowing there were a few minor problems needed sorting. However, with my recent shoulder dislocation, I could not entertain repairing it, and I did not intend to allow James under it. Whatever James gets for it, I have no qualms whatsoever. I hope he gets a good figure. Having helped me in the past at short notice, and doing excellent work, for a small return, it is in a way, my repayment, to a degree. :y
James won't get off scot free.....there is still another Omega here to be looked after !!  ;D ;D ;D
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 19 March 2018, 17:39:24 »

New MOT document comes into force on 2th May:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles

Currently the draft shows an EML lit as a major fail. ::)

There is nothing in the MOT manual that requires or allows connection to an OBD port so I'd be having a word if they tried that on my car. It's possible that emissions testers designed for the european market have the interface fitted but it's not used in a UK MOT test.
My poor diesel  :'(

1. If the engine checks are satisfactory and having removed any oil temperature probe, raise the engine speed to around 2500rpm, or half the maximum engine speed if this is lower, and hold for 30 seconds to fully purge the inlet and exhaust system.
2. Allow the engine to return to idle and asses the smoke emitted from the tailpipe.
3. Rapidly increase the engine speed to 2500rpm or half maximum engine speed if this is lower and assess the smoke emitted from the tailpipe under acceleration.
Test Procedure (post 1980 vehicles)
1. Before starting the test, ascertain the maximum smoke level limit for the vehicle and enter the required details into the diesel smoke meter. This will be:
a. for vehicles first used before 1 July 2008 not more than the level specified on the manufacture’s plate, or where no value displayed:
 for a non-turbocharged engine not more than 2.5m-1
 for a turbocharged engine not more than 3.0m-1
b. for vehicles first used on or after 1 July 2008 not more than the level specified on the
manufacture’s plate, or 1.5m-1 where no value displayed
c. for vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2014 not more than the level specified on the manufacture’s plate, or 0.7m-1 where no value displayed.
2. If the engine checks are satisfactory and having removed any oil temperature probe, raise the engine speed to around 2500rpm, or half the maximum engine speed if this is lower, and hold for 30 seconds to fully purge the inlet and exhaust system.
3. Raise engine speed slowly to maximum to check the operation of the governor. Once the engine speed has stabilised or if it becomes clear that the governor is not working, release the pedal, return to idle and stop the engine.
4. Prompt the meter to carry out a zero check and then insert the probe fully and securely in line with the gas flow. Restart the engine.
5. Following the meter prompts, depress the accelerator pedal quickly and continuously but not violently, to reach full fuel position in less than one second. Hold it there until a release prompt is given, then immediately release the pedal. Allow the engine, and any turbocharger fitted, to return to idle speed.
After the first acceleration read the smoke level displayed on the meter. If it is equal to, or less than the limit for the vehicle, the vehicle has passed the opacity test and a pass result will be displayed on the meter.
Draft

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 19 March 2018, 17:42:33 »

Fortunately, mine is booked in for April 5th, before the new test comes in. So, if they start destroying engines, they should have desisted before the next one.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 March 2018, 18:38:57 »

Surely it's normal for Diesels to be at maximum speed? It is on the occasions when I have to drive one.  ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 March 2018, 19:28:52 »

Dread to think what will happen to my old Merc engine next March.  :o
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 19 March 2018, 19:31:42 »

Dread to think what will happen to my old Merc engine next March.  :o
If they do it about half eleven, I bet they all start thinking about lunch time.  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 March 2018, 19:51:21 »

Not allowed to take it there unless I put devils juice in the tank first. I got told "get that fickin thing out of here. Its a workshop, not a fickin chip shop."   ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 March 2018, 22:27:28 »

Terry...this is/was my gold estate. which you would have seen at Wycombe meets in the past. I let it go for a song to James, he and myself knowing there were a few minor problems needed sorting. However, with my recent shoulder dislocation, I could not entertain repairing it, and I did not intend to allow James under it. Whatever James gets for it, I have no qualms whatsoever. I hope he gets a good figure. Having helped me in the past at short notice, and doing excellent work, for a small return, it is in a way, my repayment, to a degree. :y
James won't get off scot free.....there is still another Omega here to be looked after !!  ;D ;D ;D
Amazingly, he managed to change the crank sensor without going under it. I bet he went under it to change the wishbone, though.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 March 2018, 23:00:14 »

Amazingly, he managed to change the crank sensor without going under it. I bet he went under it to change the wishbone, though.

If you must know, I had to have help with elements of the job, because I couldn’t manage it alone.

I was too embarrassed to admit that, but seeing as you feel the need to bring it up.

I also had to pay a garage silly money to fit the exhaust, because I clearly hurt myself working on the suspension.

I never realised being seriously injured would lead to me getting questioned so much.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 March 2018, 23:01:42 »

Maybe next time you question my motives , think about the fact a few weeks ago I did a 200 mile round trip to do a cambelt kit and pump, and wouldn’t accept a penny over my fuel costs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.