Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Noisy differential?  (Read 6862 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Noisy differential?
« Reply #45 on: 06 August 2017, 12:11:23 »

Always support the body using the jacking points and jack the suspension as required ;)
Thank you, clearly safer practice. Will do henceforth.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 06 August 2017, 15:43:14 »

My diff is leaking quite well. i wonder how long before it seizes and i end up in a ditch with the car resting on its roof..

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 06 August 2017, 18:37:39 »

My diff is leaking quite well. i wonder how long before it seizes and i end up in a ditch with the car resting on its roof..
If it's leaking well you know where the leak is, presumably one of the 3 seals. Why not top it up as a temporary measure, then when you have time change the faulty seal.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 08 August 2017, 10:11:13 »

Reading Haynes again on which bolts should be replaced on this job, I appear to have failed to replace 9 bolts, but I was right not to replace the drive shaft to hub bolts. Some bolts should be replaced if they have torx heads, but not if they have hexagon heads.
I suppose Haynes is based upon GM instructions to dealers, who have all these items in stores so it's not a problem. I'll wager independent garages do not bother, nor do some private owners with 17 year old cars, even if parts are still available.

25 years ago I had the diff changed on my Peugeot 505 GTI family estate by a Bath main dealer. It cost me over £1000, and was returned with a wobbly rear wheel. I complained, and after many phone calls I learned they had used a slide hammer to remove the drive shafts, and had bent one. Instead of replacing it, they machined the hub to correct for it.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 08 August 2017, 12:32:21 »

Reading Haynes again on which bolts should be replaced on this job, I appear to have failed to replace 9 bolts, but I was right not to replace the drive shaft to hub bolts. Some bolts should be replaced if they have torx heads, but not if they have hexagon heads.
I suppose Haynes is based upon GM instructions to dealers, who have all these items in stores so it's not a problem. I'll wager independent garages do not bother, nor do some private owners with 17 year old cars, even if parts are still available.

25 years ago I had the diff changed on my Peugeot 505 GTI family estate by a Bath main dealer. It cost me over £1000, and was returned with a wobbly rear wheel. I complained, and after many phone calls I learned they had used a slide hammer to remove the drive shafts, and had bent one. Instead of replacing it, they machined the hub to correct for it.

Brilliant, and then they wonder why people don't trust garages. :-X :y

mandula

• Finland
    • Opel Omega -03, Z22XE man
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 21 June 2018, 08:26:32 »

How to remove this noise?
Oil change didn't fix it, all tooth surfaces are smooth and no big particles found from magnet.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/w7rt17n7A44

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 21 June 2018, 09:35:30 »

Some play should be expected, to allow for fluid and heat. Flange nut is tightened for tension rather than torque but not sure if that would cause rotational play :-\

Two choices... Obtain and fit a new pinion and crown... Either brand new or a matched used pair.

Just as easy to throw another diff in  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21 June 2018, 09:42:39 »

Some play should be expected, to allow for fluid and heat. Flange nut is tightened for tension rather than torque but not sure if that would cause rotational play :-\

Two choices... Obtain and fit a new pinion and crown... Either brand new or a matched used pair.

Just as easy Much easier to throw another diff in  :y

FTFY. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.