Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you do this other role too?  (Read 3010 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Can you do this other role too?
« on: 12 March 2018, 07:46:14 »

Had the director of our department approach me and in a roundabout waffly way, ask me if i can fill a role that someone just left, because i already have experience in that team. Claims it will mean that they wont have to advertise and train someone up (cheapskates) and that their budget is "challenging".

Im happy in the role i do and this role is more a information analyst building reports, my current role is more techy, which i like. Apparently i wont have a say in it because contract hasn't changed, and it says any other work deemed necessary for the organisation (public sector, healthcare) guess who?

Anyone been in a similar situation and how to approach this? My manager said they found it a bit of a shock as they never knew until last minute but said they got to work with resources they got. Boss said you probably notice when someone retires or leaves they dont replace, as they got cack all money left.

aaronjb

Re: Can you do this other role too?
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2018, 08:53:33 »

I suspect the answer to this is:

You get to do the new role as well. Congratulations! Alternatively, the door is over there.

But, you're in the public sector, so I assume unionised? They seem to be able to stamp just about anything out, so worth a call to them perhaps..

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2018, 09:24:12 »

Who would do your current work? If it is you then you clearly have a good case for increased money. Maybe you could ask your director in a roundabout way if that would be the case. Dont forget he/she is saving the whole salary of the person who left.

If you are going to be expected to do both then you may want to lay down what it is that you wont be able to do going forward e.g monthly returns just once a quarter. Drop this project.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2018, 10:43:19 »

Who would do your current work? If it is you then you clearly have a good case for increased money. Maybe you could ask your director in a roundabout way if that would be the case. Dont forget he/she is saving the whole salary of the person who left.

If you are going to be expected to do both then you may want to lay down what it is that you wont be able to do going forward e.g monthly returns just once a quarter. Drop this project.

As far as i can tell no one, just taken up by existing team members. My manager said you could bargain for stil doing say 2 days at my old role and 3 at new one, as i like what i am doing, but i cant see how that would be practical as of something needed finished the next day i couldn't very well drop it till the next week.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2018, 10:59:24 »

Are you in private or public sector?

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2018, 11:37:57 »

Are you in private or public sector?
I'm guessing public, as that's what it says in his post  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2018, 12:12:37 »

Missed that  :-[

Personally, if I was happy in my role and being forced to another position I would protest, to the point I’d quit and find alternative employer doing what I enjoyed.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2018, 12:38:58 »

I agree, tunnie, and not only for that reason but also if the company is in a bad way financially and cannot afford someone else to replace the person leaving, how long before they won't be able to afford the OP?
If the OP then finds that he is so overworked that he cannot fulfill both roles.....

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2018, 12:49:28 »

I agree, tunnie, and not only for that reason but also if the company is in a bad way financially and cannot afford someone else to replace the person leaving, how long before they won't be able to afford the OP?
If the OP then finds that he is so overworked that he cannot fulfill both roles.....

Ron.
Oh yes, the NHS is in a bad way, financially.  ::)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2018, 13:29:57 »

Find out what his salary was and demand half of it  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 March 2018, 13:32:41 »

Or do what the top brass in the public sector do. Tell them to make you redundant from your current position, with a nice golden goodbye package and then immediately re employ you in the new job.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2018, 13:42:23 »

Or do what the top brass in the public sector do. Tell them to make you redundant from your current position, with a nice golden goodbye package and then immediately re employ you in the new job.
That is probably the only approach to have... And don't be roundabout about it.

If you take it on the terms offered, then expect to be overworked and get no support from your existing team. If you don't take it, then expect to be passed over at best and out on your arse at the next cut backs at worse.

If the offered role is more money and has enough life left in it for you to benefit, then happy days, but no point seeing an extra pound a week only for them to recruit someone else in after Easter...
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 12 March 2018, 14:43:57 »

We're talking about the NHS here, and his contract says he can be employed in any position deemed necessary. Read the fickin post.
My missus sometimes has to move teachers from, say, year 2 to, say, year 6. They object because 'their class' is year 2. Wrong! You'll teach in any class you're needed to teach in.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 March 2018, 15:21:11 »

A lot will depend on how they go about it IMHO .. when I worked for the Courts I was in a slightly similar position, I was employed as an Usher in the Crown Court, complete with job description. When a Clerk in the Civil court left I was "told" I would now cover that position as well. A polite complaint regarding pay, responsibility and availability, got the same answer "and any other work within the role deemed necessary for the organisation"... so I did both ....

There was then a complaint from a Judge about my "absence" from a case when he "needed" me, so a "disciplinary" was raised against me .... and the fun started :).

I made it ride, right the way to the disciplinary hearing, at which my line manager attempted to make it my fault for not "managing my time" correctly meaning I was "unfit for the role" ...... 

At this point I produce the TWO job descriptions, my original terms of employment, which stated exactly what time periods I would be in the Crown Court and the JD for the position I was also covering .. which stated exactly what times the Clerk would be available in the Civil Court......

I simply asked the adjudicator just how I was supposed to be in 2 places at once, along with a copy of my letter asking about pay, responsibility and availability. It all went rather quiet.

My line manager was demoted and replaced. I was given a pay rise for increased responsibility, and my new line manager did what SHOULD have been done in the first place .... she rewrote the JDs so that both jobs were merged and could be covered by one person with one JD.

So, in short, if they force you to take on the new role as well, ensure you have a JD that covers your positions in both roles and lays out EXACTLY what you are required to do, and to what standard.

Good luck !!

Delroy47

• Intermediate Member
  • Luton
    • 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2018, 15:26:43 »

The contract may be same/similar but job has changed. Have they done a "OCA" Organisational Change Assessment for your job or carried out an impact assessment regarding changes in your service area?

Sounds like a little bit of bullying or harassment, read your policy or and speak to HR even though they can be seen as a management tool!

If your in a union speak to them for some advice.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.