Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Caravanning - Omega's as towcar!  (Read 6020 times)

SMS01

• Altrincham
  • Black Omega 3.0 manual estate 'P' reg
    • View Profile
Caravanning - Omega's as towcar!
« on: 19 July 2006, 00:39:51 »

Following on from the Caravan Tyre warning earlier, I am thinking of getting a caravan at some stage - not a new one by any means, but fancy something to tame the 3.0 on the road..

Any recommendations for an ideal sort of size of van/weight etc for the Omega? Ideally I would prefer a larger van 3/4/5 berth just for space and comfort, but would appreciate any pointers or advice from our existing caravanning members to look out for should I finally decide to take the plunge.

Mine is a 3.0 elite estate on a P - so not new but has typical features of the specification, obvious thing I would only drive it with an anti-snake device as have seen too many vans on their side for various reasons.

Any other mods necessary for the meega or other things I should be aware of with the meega towing?

Cheers for any advice

Steve

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
Re: Caravanning - Omega's as towcar!
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2006, 06:38:37 »

SWMBO wants a van but no wheels :)

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2006, 07:59:36 »

I think Martin Imber will be the best qualified to answer this.

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2006, 09:17:46 »

Steve,

As long as you stick to the recommended 85% of the cars kerb weight for the weight of the van you should have no problems. The maximum weight you can tow is reduced depending on when you passed your driving test so check your license befor you commit to a purchase.

I have had both Swift and Bailey 5 berths and they have come in at around the 1350KG mark which is well within the scope for the diesel estate but I don't have a weight for the petrol derivatives. Check the caravan club website for advice as they have a getting started section.

Martin is indeed the man to give advice on the petrols for towing just remember the vans tyres are not ZR rated ;).

Steve

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2006, 09:17:48 »

An Omega will handle just about any single axle van on the market.

I would advise against a twin axle at this stage, not for car but for the driver.

OK New or Used?

Any favourite make?

Budget?

The 3.0V6 will walk it, the auto is bullet proof

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2006, 09:19:56 »

And like many exec autos, it already has an gearbox oilcooler, so autobox isn't a prob.  I would probably suggest changing autobox fluid more often if using for towing.
Grumpy old man

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2006, 09:31:58 »

Following on from the Caravan Tyre warning earlier, I am thinking of getting a caravan at some stage - not a new one by any means, but fancy something to tame the 3.0 on the road..

Any recommendations for an ideal sort of size of van/weight etc for the Omega? Ideally I would prefer a larger van 3/4/5 berth just for space and comfort, but would appreciate any pointers or advice from our existing caravanning members to look out for should I finally decide to take the plunge.

Mine is a 3.0 elite estate on a P - so not new but has typical features of the specification, obvious thing I would only drive it with an anti-snake device as have seen too many vans on their side for various reasons.

Any other mods necessary for the meega or other things I should be aware of with the meega towing?

Cheers for any advice

Steve

Caravan eh......did you not watch Top Gear Sunday? ;D ;D
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2006, 12:44:31 »

OK more info.

Get your nose weight to 75kg using scales, do not go under 70kg nor over mid 70s.

Always use a stabliser.

Look around a few dealerships to see what you like.

Do go for it it is a relaxing way to have a holiday.

Remember tyres are only rated to 82.5mph.

Don't be afraid to hammer the tow car, climbing hills or off juctions - use that power

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2006, 12:51:55 »

Blooming weekend gypsy’s  ;D

Bernie400

• cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2006, 12:57:23 »

I have got a folding camper which is basically a caravan butfolds away to half the height.

sits about 16 foot long, and the 2.5 just purrs.

No long line of cars behind me, it will easily sit at 70-80 on motorway, and cruises down the a roads, even do some overtaking.

I am no speed freak but the 2.5 omega is a cracking tow bus.

bernie400
On driveway: Blue 2.5 Reflection, Black 406(boring) & Ascona 400 (will be in Rothmans, oh yes!)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2006, 12:59:03 »

jeeez, i know nothing of caravans but overtaking with one on tow....wow  :o
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2006, 13:40:54 »

jeeez, i know nothing of caravans but overtaking with one on tow....wow  :o

How about out accelerating people carriers!

SMS01

• Altrincham
  • Black Omega 3.0 manual estate 'P' reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2006, 14:50:56 »

Thanks for the info folks,

Towing Weight - seems to depend where you look at, I have seen figures varying from 1450kgs to 1800kgs for a 3.0 elite estate.
I am not sure what my permitted towing weight is for my licence - I passed in '91 but am currently applying for my 6th renewal licence (medical issues) - I know I lost my 7.5ton permission in 2000, but wasn't aware of any limit on towing size.

Autofluid - Won't have to worry as have a manual box at present - would prefer an auto for towing though...

Speed - What is the permitted speed for a van - am I right in thinking 60 on a motorway and 50 on an A road?

Price, Make etc, all to be decided. Wondering whether to buy a reasonable old wreck to start off with and get used to it.

I have never actually towed a caravan before but have towed several different sized trailers including towing a twin wheel car trailer some years ago - remember it was a lot easier than the smaller ones, especially reversing.

I can imagine that the 3.0 engine would not really significantly notice a caravan behind it in terms of performance, probably lower running speeds wouldn't massively affect the economy too badly either (can't get much worse anyway).

Cheers
« Last Edit: 19 July 2006, 14:52:40 by SMS01 »

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2006, 15:03:49 »

Mway 60
A road 50

Nobody minds if you travel at limit though

peterjohn36

• Fareham
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2006, 21:19:25 »

Have caravanned since the mid 1980's always used the larger cars and also a landrover 110 . Towed also with the last car mondeo 2ltr estate was okay but this was the smallest of all engines. Now to the point sold the van last year, traded in the mondy and bought the Omega, so now a real good tow car and no caravan, no we wont be going back to caravanning.

Pete
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.