Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mot time  (Read 1843 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Mot time
« on: 08 February 2016, 07:34:43 »

Hi all,could some kind oofer confirm there has been no change in the law.My mot is due 23rd of this month but i want to have it done this weekend,if it should fail.Can i still drive the car legally up until the date the original mot runs out,to get whatever needs doing done.The reason i ask is they seem to change,a lot of driving and vehicle laws lately.Regards Dean.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Mot time
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2016, 08:55:23 »

If you get an MOT test carried out early, it doesn't affect the validity of your previous MOT so yes, it will still be legal from the perspective of having a valid MOT to drive the car, even if it fails.

You have to bear in mind, though, that you would be knowingly driving a car with a fault. For a simple fault such as a bulb out or an emissions failure, that probably isn't a big worry, but, if the fault is something that could impact safety, I personally wouldn't drive it, valid MOT or not.

If you were involved in an accident, it wouldn't take much digging to discover that you were driving the car in the knowledge that it was faulty.

But, getting a test up to a month early, then having that time to fix any minor problems without ending up immobile is a good plan, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2016, 09:27:25 »

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2016, 11:22:27 »

If you get an MOT test carried out early, it doesn't affect the validity of your previous MOT so yes, it will still be legal from the perspective of having a valid MOT to drive the car, even if it fails.

You have to bear in mind, though, that you would be knowingly driving a car with a fault. For a simple fault such as a bulb out or an emissions failure, that probably isn't a big worry, but, if the fault is something that could impact safety, I personally wouldn't drive it, valid MOT or not.

If you were involved in an accident, it wouldn't take much digging to discover that you were driving the car in the knowledge that it was faulty.

But, getting a test up to a month early, then having that time to fix any minor problems without ending up immobile is a good plan, IMHO.
Thanks mate,duly noted.Dean.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2016, 11:25:32 »

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test
Thanks Ste,as if we are made homeless we will still be able to sleep in the car.Regards Dean.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2016, 12:29:01 »

Thanks Ste,as if we are made homeless we will still be able to sleep in the car.Regards Dean.
Hopefully that is tongue in cheek... Be careful wrt your insurance if it wasn't... :-\

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2016, 07:18:57 »

Hopefully that is tongue in cheek... Be careful wrt your insurance if it wasn't... :-\
Hi mate,unfortunately in our present financial situation we are living week to week.I take it you mean i cannot live in my car,as it will invalidate my insurance.But thanks for the advice,Dean.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2016, 09:55:10 »

Not quite, just that it will need to be registered to an address and covered for where it is usually parked overnight... ie if it's presently garaged then god forbid summat happens you might find yourself uninsured... which is probably an extra level of chaos that you could do without  :-\

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2016, 21:50:47 »

Well it passed,2 advisory's.Brake pipe slightly corroded nearside front to flexi also offside front to flexi.Said pas side sill will need looking at next year,but he said all in all a good looking barge.He said he liked the car(limo of its day)but i should get the body work looked at.I agreed but i need to look after the engine foremost.Have not had an oil change in 6000 miles,and have put in 6 ltrs of oil over the last 8 months.To stop the oil check light coming on.I know i have a leak but where its from i don't know,cam covers are ok i checked them.But with 185,000 miles on the clock,there are bound to some oil leaks.Dean.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2016, 07:35:51 »

If you've put six litres in, it's had an oil change. ;D

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2016, 09:53:49 »

I would guess its a weeping crank seal if its losing that much oil  :-\
Omegatitis

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2016, 19:07:57 »

Thats my thinking as well ste.Its not dripping when the car is parked,so it must be when i am driving it. If it is crank seal how difficult is it to fix.Dean.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2016, 19:18:03 »

Thats my thinking as well ste.Its not dripping when the car is parked,so it must be when i am driving it. If it is crank seal how difficult is it to fix.Dean.

If you do at as part of a cambelt change, the front isn't difficult once you've undone the crank nut which is very tight. You also need some means of getting the pulley off. Both these jobs can be done by drilling a few holes in a length of bar - I can provide details if you need them.

The rear is even easier to change, but you do need to remove the gearbox and flywheel/flexplate to get to it, which makes for a much bigger job.

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2016, 19:20:22 »

It's not a job for an amateur, I would not attempt it.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2016, 19:31:14 »

If you do at as part of a cambelt change, the front isn't difficult once you've undone the crank nut which is very tight. You also need some means of getting the pulley off. Both these jobs can be done by drilling a few holes in a length of bar - I can provide details if you need them.

The rear is even easier to change, but you do need to remove the gearbox and flywheel/flexplate to get to it, which makes for a much bigger job.
Thanks for the offer mate,but i think this is well beyond my capability.The cam belt is due in September,and i will be contacting james to do the job.Until  then i will just have to keep topping it up i suppose. :( Dean.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.