Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change a power steering pump on a V6  (Read 8704 times)

johnnycboy

• Omega Knight
  • Colchester
    • View Profile
How to change a power steering pump on a V6
« on: 06 March 2009, 19:04:37 »

Having just changed the PAS pump on my 2000 plated 2.5V6 saloon. I thought a little how to might be in order. Approx time taken 2 hours.  Sorry for the lack of photos, but I forgot to take any while I was working.

1 - Try to remove as much of the PAS (Power Assisted Steering) Fluid as possible from the PAS reservoir located passenger side engine bay(I used a turkey baster to do this).

2 - Working from the front of the car remove the front multiram; droop snoops and secondary air injection system as normal.

NB - Before removing the auxillary belt it's best to slacken the 3 torx bolts on the PAS pulley. (This is located to the right top of the block).

3 - Using a 15mm spanner remove the auxillary belt, remember to mark the direction of travel if re-fitting the old belt.  It's wise to make a note of the belts route to help when refitting.

4 - Remove the 3 torx bolts from the PAS pulley.  Remove the pulley from the PAS pump. You should now be able to see the union nut on top of the PAS pump, slacken this nut off and allow the rest of PAS fluid to drain out (best put a container underneath to catch most of it), when it's completely drained remove the union nut/pipe away from the PAS pump.

5 - On the PAS reservoir there are 2 pipes, disconnect the top pipe and take off the jubilee clip. (The arrow indicates which pipe to remove).  Makes it easier to remove pump later.

6 - Now undo the 3 retaining bolts holding the PAS pump to the block and withdraw the pump and hose complete. (2 long bolts for top and bottom and 1 short bolt for the left hand side).

7 - Change the PAS hose over onto your new PAS pump (make sure the hose and jubilee clip are a nice tight fit) and feed the hose and pump back into the block, to keep the pump in place refit the hose onto PAS reservoir and tighten jubilee clip.  (make sure the hose fits on the exact same way it came off the old pump otherwise it will not line up with the reservoir).

8 - Refit the PAS retaining bolts and torque to 20Nm.

9 - Refit the PAS pulley.  NB - Refit the three bolts on the pulley and do them up just tight enough to hold the pulley onto the pump.

10 - Refit auxillary belt (remember direction of travel if fitting old belt).  Now torque the PAS pulley bolts to 20Nm.

11 - Refit secondary air injection pipe and front multiram.  

12 - Fill the reservoir with nice fresh dex ii to the max level.
Start the engine briefly then stop.  Refill again.  Repeat this a few times until the level stays constant.  
Start the engine again and slowly turn the steering from lock to lock.  Do this a few times to get rid of any air from the system.  
Finally stop the engine and top up again to required hot or cold level and jobs done.  Oh and don't forgot to replace filler cap on the reservoir. :y
« Last Edit: 08 March 2009, 10:26:45 by TheBoy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.