Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Boy to get friendly with the CAA  (Read 3057 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Boy to get friendly with the CAA
« Reply #15 on: 07 November 2019, 17:22:39 »

I was throttling up an EDF (essentially, an electric jet, that I picked up dirt cheap and built on Saturday) on the dining room table, with the airframe shackled down. 

Sounds like a great wheeze! What will.it be propelling? Other than lightweight household items?
Its a PNF (Plug'n'Fly, ie, just add radio and battery) foamy from Hobbyking, look for "flycat" on their site.

Needless to say, I paid a much lower price by buying one with transport damage, which I've mostly resolved.  And lets face it, its "landings" are not going to be graceful.  We'll find out if ever this weather improves, but suspect its going to be next year now :(.  I was given a Bixler 1.1 (also from Hobbyking) last Christmas, only 'built' that a few weeks ago, so that's likely to be a year before it gets its maiden. "Built" as it its another PnF kit that just needs glueing and screwing together.

Also got a couple of flying wings being built. These are a bit more involved.  One of them I think stands a chance of being under 250g if I don't put any FPV gear on it, making it exempt from the well meant, but poorly implemented, new rules.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2019, 10:12:48 »

I got half way through building a trainer plane once when I was a kid .. wish I'd finished that - always wanted to learn how to fly something; a plane big enough to fit me in would be ideal, but that costs a lot more  ;D

(It was one of the giant old-school Cessna style RC planes, glowplug nitro motor etc etc)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2019, 13:17:26 »

I got half way through building a trainer plane once when I was a kid .. wish I'd finished that - always wanted to learn how to fly something; a plane big enough to fit me in would be ideal, but that costs a lot more  ;D

(It was one of the giant old-school Cessna style RC planes, glowplug nitro motor etc etc)
My first ever "plane" (well, it was a balsa glider) famously hit a rugby post within 10s of being launched, via bungee, on its maiden flight. I kept it for the next 20+ years with every intention of fixing rebuilding it, including moving house.  It was in the garage until....   ….yeah, lets not go there.

Ironic that I now live near a rugby field ;D
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2019, 13:20:32 »

My first ever "plane" (well, it was a balsa glider) famously hit a rugby post within 10s of being launched, via bungee, on its maiden flight. I kept it for the next 20+ years with every intention of fixing rebuilding it, including moving house.  It was in the garage until....   ….yeah, lets not go there.

And the glider is probably also spread across it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2019, 13:22:07 »

And the glider is probably also spread across it
Being balsa, I suspect it burned faster than it could fly.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.